Main Camp

Floyd

46 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

what I took away from the interviews was that Lapo is running  high tempo offensive schemes and is bring a lot of excitement and energy to the field/sidelines.  yes he says hes a teacher, but that wasnt the main point that came across for me

Yeah i probably just needed coffee.

3 hours ago, Rich said:

You don't think part of a coaches job is to teach?

coach2
kōCH/
noun
noun: coach; plural noun: coaches
  1. 1.
    an athletic instructor or trainer.
    synonyms: instructortrainermanagerMore

• a tutor who gives private or specialized teaching.

teach
tēCH/
verb
verb: teach; 3rd person present: teaches; past tense: taught; past participle: taught; gerund or present participle: teaching
  1. 1.
    show or explain to (someone) how to do something.
    "she taught him to read"
    synonyms: educateinstructschooltutorcoachtrainMore

• give information about or instruction in (a subject or skill).
      "he came one day each week to teach painting"
      synonyms: give lessons in, lecture in, be a teacher of;

BugEyes_Caddyshack1.gif

This deserves a quote:

The fact Wylie is still here, after Winnipeg allowed 10 more sacks than any other team over the last two years, proves that he wasn't the problem. The part-time drummer, magician and pilot didn't come right out and say why the Bombers gave up so many sacks last season, but he dropped enough hints to make it clear he and former offensive co-ordinator Marcel Bellefeuille never developed a rapport.

On the other hand, Wylie and new Bombers offensive co-ordinator Paul LaPolice worked together in the same roles with the Roughriders in 2009, when Saskatchewan got to the Grey Cup, and they have remained close ever since. More importantly for the Bombers, Wylie believes their relationship is going to help the team immensely this season.

“Because it's the same eyes,” Wylie said. “It's the same philosophy. The same concepts. You know what I mean? We're not trying to put the square peg in a round hole. We're trying to put the round peg in the round hole, which makes it a lot easier.”

Bellefeuille? Square peg.

LaPolice? Round peg.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/05/31/wylie-ready-for-teamwork

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Already I'm loving this access to Assistants.  A few short sentences can explain a lot.

Ah, only fans like it. This is really what assistants should be doing, eh Englewood? ;)8713_1.jpg

Edited by iso_55

5 hours ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

This deserves a quote:

Mmmm thats very interesting indeed. Wylies credentials as an OL coach are as good as they come. Not to mention im all in favor of blaming marcel lol.

Makes me think about our coaching staff and front office though. Every one who follows the cfl knew he was running an awful offense. Im sure MoS and the front office knew that as well, and would have known that he was not on the same page as every one else. Why did it take soo long to get rid of him? Are we now going to keep any one hired till the end of their contract like the steelers? 

On the subject of teacher vs coach, I would hazard a guess it comes down to the difference between telling players to do it a certain way because thats the way its going to be and teaching them why its going to be that way and why thats going to be successful.  So teaching is an aspect of coaching but not all coaches are going to be good teachers.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Even if you aren't developing a players skill and only implementing your coaching scheme, you still have to be able to teach them that scheme. 

If you can't teach your scheme in a way all players can understand, you aren't a good coach. 

true in 99% of situations. Some guys are incredibly lacking in ability to learn systems. When tee martin was in his last days here i remember him saying he still wasnt used to the 3 down thing. That said the true worth of a teacher isnt how well they teach their best students, its how well they are able to teach the ones that struggle the most.