Is Henoc Muamba pi**ing away his football career?

4 hours ago, IC Khari said:

It was just a simple question :)

It was.  My vote is yes, he kind of is.

15 hours ago, Engelwood said:

I am beginning to think that he is blacklisted after the "World Tour" BS he put the league through.

For the right price every team in the league would have him.

15 hours ago, Adrenaline_x said:

I don't get the hate. 

He is a CFL high perfoman CANADIAN Line backer.  

You can't fault anyone for going after a life changing payday in the big show that is the NFL.  Anyone here would do the same.  

Loyalty only plays a small part.  I've been with a company for 9 years, and would leave if someone offered me 20 000$ more per year.  I wouldnt even stop to think about it all things being equal.  Working enviroments, co-workers all play into that decisions but really most people are going to go where the money/opportunity is. 

The whole tour thing came off as egotistical but we only really knew about it from the insiders/media types that were reporting on it. I really think someone would have to be really stupid NOT to reach out to each club/employer to see what they are offering for wages and what kind of environment they would be walking into.

Do i Care if Muamba signs here? No.. not really.  If he makes us alot stronger at MLB and helps the ratio at the same time, i would be willing to put up with alot **** before cutting/passing on him.  Its all about winning. everything else matters less. 

It's the internet.  People seem to like behaving this way on the internet.  Like making judgements on his personality despite almost certainly never having met or spoken to him.

13 hours ago, Steve Fanitage said:

Please do not say "he bled blue and gold". Milt Stegall, Doug Brown, Rod Hill, Tyrone Jones, etc are guys who "bled blue and gold". 

Yes he played very hard for us every down. He was also quite aware his play would influence his NFL aspirations. 

Muamba is a great player but other stars stayed committed to the Bombers through some really lean years. Yes I get there was money to be had, but Henoc's quick jump to Montreal is not consistent with bleeding blue and gold.

Might be consistent with being in the same city as his parents though.  Total jerk move.

I wasn't wasting much time thinking about him, but since it came up...simple logic will always be my starting point.

It's football.  Injuries happen.  A lot.

It's the CFL.  There is a starting Canadian player minimum requirement.

Combine these two factors, logic would indicate that have excessive Canadian talent is beneficial.

There is also a salary cap for the overall roster.

If Muamba any really talented Canadian player could be signed and not cause difficulties in our cap management, I will always be in favour of signing that player.  So when Paddy Neufeld gets injured during a game, the choice of whom to replace him with are made from a group of better players.

I'd like to have 20 Westerman caliber NI's on our roster, not just a couple.  While that is not terribly realistic, any chance we have to add a Westerman caliber player we should take it.  Muamba is that level of player, so if he ever decides to return to the CFL, you'd better believe I'm 100% in favour of pursuing him.  The dollars involved may not allow for a deal to happen, or he might continue to choose family.  So be it.

And now I'll go back to my regularly scheduled not thinking about him.

Henoc figured it out that he's better off making the minimum in the NFL than huge money in the CFL.  The obvious aside.   He found out first hand last year that being one of the highest paid players on the team isn't always a good thing.   

If he really wants to play he'd sign a realistic contract for a quality starting CDN and have a long CFL career.  

17 hours ago, Steve Fanitage said:

Please do not say "he bled blue and gold". Milt Stegall, Doug Brown, Rod Hill, Tyrone Jones, etc are guys who "bled blue and gold". 

Yes he played very hard for us every down. He was also quite aware his play would influence his NFL aspirations. 

Muamba is a great player but other stars stayed committed to the Bombers through some really lean years. Yes I get there was money to be had, but Henoc's quick jump to Montreal is not consistent with bleeding blue and gold.

His quick jump to montreal was based solely on contract length wasn't it? He wanted another shot at the NFL and montreal contract length gave him that. 

Maybe not bled blue and gold. but he sure worked hard on every play regardless of the circus that was going on around the team. 

Edited by Adrenaline_x

55 minutes ago, Adrenaline_x said:

His quick jump to montreal was based solely on contract length wasn't it? He wanted another shot at the NFL and montreal contract length gave him that. 

Maybe not bled blue and gold. but he sure worked hard on every play regardless of the circus that was going on around the team. 

Don't think so. Montreal released him so obviously he had another year on the contract he signed. 

Gotta love Muamba being vilified for not just accepting the comparative peanuts he'd be making in the CFL vs. the NFL.

Oh, and this idea of players having to be fiercely loyal to these businesses and play for a discount "for the good of the team"!  Laughable.

Milt Stegall, who has been praised for "bleeding blue & gold" in this thread, was prepared to hold out if the Bombers didn't pay him top dollar. And he was damn well right to do it because he was the best receiver in the league. The flip side is that the football clubs see a guy show signs of slowing down? Not being as productive as he'd previously been? See ya later. Checks won't be coming in anymore. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out...

This is the CFL, not some league with mega salaries your average person could live off one year's worth. Unless you're a top teir quarterback, you're at best making a very good wage by Joe Blow standards. And you won't be playing football well into your 50's and beyond like your standard 6 figures a year job..  Hell after 30 you're on borrowed time in football.

I for one hope it works out for Henoc. Make as much as you can, bud. Because you can bleed such and such colours as much as you want, but as soon as you make one bad play they'll be dumping manure on your front lawn.  Okay, that'll only happen if he signs with the Riders, but you get the idea.  :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Y2C said:

Gotta love Muamba being vilified for not just accepting the comparative peanuts he'd be making in the CFL vs. the NFL.

Oh, and this idea of players having to be fiercely loyal to these businesses and play for a discount "for the good of the team"!  Laughable.

Milt Stegall, who has been praised for "bleeding blue & gold" in this thread, was prepared to hold out if the Bombers didn't pay him top dollar. And he was damn well right to do it because he was the best receiver in the league. The flip side is that the football clubs see a guy show signs of slowing down? Not being as productive as he'd previously been? See ya later. Checks won't be coming in anymore. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out...

This is the CFL, not some league with mega salaries your average person could live off one year's worth. Unless you're a top teir quarterback, you're at best making a very good wage by Joe Blow standards. And you won't be playing football well into your 50's and beyond like your standard 6 figures a year job..  Hell after 30 you're on borrowed time in football.

I for one hope it works out for Henoc. Make as much as you can, bud. Because you can bleed such and such colours as much as you want, but as soon as you make one bad play they'll be dumping manure on your front lawn.  Okay, that'll only happen if he signs with the Riders, but you get the idea.  :ph34r:

That soon  Huh? Did you hear O'Shea was really impressed with Loffler's work at the rookie camp or that Corney can do push ups till the cows come home. Guess you need at least one cow to time him or maybe they now have an app to do that. Ah, maybe not. How many times would you need a cow's time. Besides, where was the cow?  Holstein walk slower.

6 hours ago, LeBird said:

That soon  Huh? Did you hear O'Shea was really impressed with Loffler's work at the rookie camp or that Corney can do push ups till the cows come home. Guess you need at least one cow to time him or maybe they now have an app to do that. Ah, maybe not. How many times would you need a cow's time. Besides, where was the cow?  Holstein walk slower.

chappelle-prince.jpg

14 hours ago, Y2C said:

he'd be making a lot more as a CFL starter than an NFL PR player... bad Cdn dollar closes that gap a bit... if he can make the active roster then he'd be in the money... hope he does...

15 hours ago, Y2C said:

I've had far too little sleep this week to feel 100% confident in anything the ole' brain says, but my recollection is Stegall "explored his NFL options" three times during his Bomber career.

On 5/27/2016 at 8:58 AM, mbrg said:

I've had far too little sleep this week to feel 100% confident in anything the ole' brain says, but my recollection is Stegall "explored his NFL options" three times during his Bomber career.

I think he explored them but I dont believe they amounted to much. He played his best after he hit 30, and its really tough for 30+ year old guys to get the jump to the nfl. 2000-2002 was his prime, and he was 30/31/32 in that time frame. 

Milt had a couple NFL goes, and even sat out TC one time over a contract dispute. We tend to deify Milt around here (...with good reason. That 2002 season...seriously...) but he was the kind of ******* who would have LOVED a guy like Jonathan Hardaway as his agent. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Milt had a couple NFL goes, and even sat out TC one time over a contract dispute. We tend to deify Milt around here (...with good reason. That 2002 season...seriously...) but he was the kind of ******* who would have LOVED a guy like Jonathan Hardaway as his agent. 

I think just work outs. Back then that was mostly what cfl guys got. Hold a clip board and go get coffee. He did a bunch of that, threatened to request a trade one, threatened to retire, held out. Eh he was allways here for game time and allways kept the office stuff away from the field. Blink did a bit of that too.

3 hours ago, JohnnyOnTheSpot said:

Injuries aside I'm reminded of Jesse Lumsden... his last year nobody wanted him until Labor day, Bombers call, it gets leaked and suddenly half the league wants to sign him.

He is dramatically better the lumsden though. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

He is dramatically better the lumsden though. 

Is he? At the time, he was a ratio-breaker and pretty darn good. Maybe, my memory is foggy and I'm remembering Lumsden more for his potential, rather than reality. 

19 minutes ago, JCon said:

Is he? At the time, he was a ratio-breaker and pretty darn good. Maybe, my memory is foggy and I'm remembering Lumsden more for his potential, rather than reality. 

He was a high potential guy but never stayed healthy or came close to living up to expectations. He was a bust, showed flashes in 07 and 08 but over 6 years had dismal production. Henoc on the other hand is a ratio breaker and a big time play maker. One of the better lbers in the cfl and still young. 

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He was a high potential guy but never stayed healthy or came close to living up to expectations. He was a bust, showed flashes in 07 and 08 but over 6 years had dismal production. Henoc on the other hand is a ratio breaker and a big time play maker. One of the better lbers in the cfl and still young. 

Yes, I went back and checked out his stats. I certainly remember him having a larger impact. Funny how that's clouded. 

Wonder what would have happened if he could have stayed healthy. 

That's another reason Henoc is wasting his career, IMO, sitting on the sidelines. An injury could end everything tomorrow and he's missing key earning time. When his football career is over, he can focus on other pursuits, but now is the time to earn, baby, earn. 

6 hours ago, JCon said:

Yes, I went back and checked out his stats. I certainly remember him having a larger impact. Funny how that's clouded. 

Wonder what would have happened if he could have stayed healthy. 

That's another reason Henoc is wasting his career, IMO, sitting on the sidelines. An injury could end everything tomorrow and he's missing key earning time. When his football career is over, he can focus on other pursuits, but now is the time to earn, baby, earn. 

to be fair, he butchered us a couple times so it skews things a bit. If he would have stayed healthy and gotten heavy reps in those couple years early on im sure he would have been a 1500+ yards double digit TDs and a sky high YPC.

To me, camp is huge for guys still adjusting to the cfl game or who dont stay in game shape in the off season. Also young guys still working on improving their craft. To a lot of established veterans I think its more psychological. Some guys dont need camp as much as others. henoc might be one of those, but I hate to see a guy sitting and waiting rather then going out and making it happen for him self. Hes trying to rest on the laurels of what he did here before going to the nfl and his physical tools. But that was a long time ago now and his tools arent getting sharper.