Kyle Walters interview in the WPG. SUN.

1 hour ago, J5V said:

Other than Sask we were dead last in passing yards surrendered and yards per pass surrendered and that, to you, makes our secondary the envy of most teams in the league. Magic.

If you can't consistently pressure opposing qbs it doesn't really matter who you have in your secondary, they're going to give up yards. The Bombers DL was pretty bad last year. 

3 hours ago, J5V said:

Other than Sask we were dead last in passing yards surrendered and yards per pass surrendered and that, to you, makes our secondary the envy of most teams in the league. Magic.

just another post that highlights just how little you know about the game.

5 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Is our secondary really that good? Adams is a shutdown corner and Randle was a shutdown corner before his injury, so assuming he's OK that's 2 very high level players. Johnson is loved by some around here but I don't put him in the top level category.

We don't know yet if Randle will be a corner this year or if we need to keep a NI on the field which basically means Bucknor who isn't great by any stretch of the imagination. We don't know who the safety will be, but it looks like Macho Harris has the inside track and he's never going to even be average. We have a free DB spot that Washington played for most of last year... Randle or Adams means finding a new CB or Bucknor gets to play. A newbie may be anywhere from terrible to great.

Oshea said he would be going back to corner this year. We don't know for certain that Adams will remain a corner or move to Washingtons spot.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

If you can't consistently pressure opposing qbs it doesn't really matter who you have in your secondary, they're going to give up yards. The Bombers DL was pretty bad last year. 

The O was equally as bad so that would play a role also. How many 2 and outs? 

8 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Who do you think has the inside track at safety then?

We have a couple DBs that were around last year in Kearney and Posey and multiple rookies to choose from... it will be one of them.  I just don't think Harris has the speed to play safety and I don't think he's even being considered for that spot.  And I don't think we use a Canadian either.

While lack of pressure did play a role the secondary was still not good. They couldn't cover medium or crossing routes. Took tons of penalties on deep routes. Blaming the d-line for the shortcomings of the secondary is reaching though. It like blaming the o-line solely for the sacks. 

13 hours ago, 17to85 said:

And yet, at the end of the season, a reporter rated the D-line a C+ and the Secondary a D- . Interesting.

11 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

just another post that highlights just how little you know about the game.

I know what I saw, which was a secondary that got lit up repeatedly. Now it could be that they're really, really good and I just don't know what I'm talking about, as you suggest, but I tend to trust what I see. 

6 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

While lack of pressure did play a role the secondary was still not good. They couldn't cover medium or crossing routes. Took tons of penalties on deep routes. Blaming the d-line for the shortcomings of the secondary is reaching though. It like blaming the o-line solely for the sacks. 

I tend to agree and the statistics support your contention that they just weren't very good. I don't recall seeing many "coverage sacks" last year.

12 hours ago, Noeller said:

This is quite the thread...I think the most amazing thing is the number of posts that WEREN'T deleted......

Because deleting posts is such an effective means of stimulating conversation in a forum of this nature at this time of year.

Who is playing which position evolves more out of the distribution of the ratio then what some seem to think is a popularity contest. The biggest problem isn't necessarily a lack of potential 7 NIP starters, it is the necessary depth to support them. It becomes more problematic when losing a NIP starter results in a subsequent 2 or 3 changes at other spots to adjust

53 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Who is playing which position evolves more out of the distribution of the ratio then what some seem to think is a popularity contest. The biggest problem isn't necessarily a lack of potential 7 NIP starters, it is the necessary depth to support them. It becomes more problematic when losing a NIP starter results in a subsequent 2 or 3 changes at other spots to adjust

I think we're in the best position we've been in that regard for quite some time.  In 2014 our 7th and 8th best Canadians were guys like Jake Thomas and Teague Sherman.  I like those guys but they should be farther from the starting lineup than that.  Now we've got Hurl, Bucknor, JFG, Keeping all outside our starting 7.... And still a couple high draft picks to come, along with Thomas and Sherman still being here.  

The starters are way better than they were, but the depth is coming along too.  And it's not just a small improvement in the starters... Check out our top 5 Canadians now compared to who they may have been in 2014:

Westerman, Harris, Shologan, Chungh, Kohlert

Vs

Watson, Greaves, Morley, Bucknor, Kohlert

Gotta feel good about that!

I don't dispute that there is now a significant upgrade in the quality of NIP starters. My concern is the downgrade or shuffles that result when there is an injury. Harris goes down and he is likely replaced by a DI import that now results in a NIP add somewhere else. Westerman or Sholugun go down and Thomas becomes a full time guy. Any significant injury carries into subsequent    games. Historically. Yes back in the day, depth was critical but players ability to play multiple spots was also a huge advantage.

23 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

I don't dispute that there is now a significant upgrade in the quality of NIP starters. My concern is the downgrade or shuffles that result when there is an injury. Harris goes down and he is likely replaced by a DI import that now results in a NIP add somewhere else. Westerman or Sholugun go down and Thomas becomes a full time guy. Any significant injury carries into subsequent    games. Historically. Yes back in the day, depth was critical but players ability to play multiple spots was also a huge advantage.

You basically just described the problem every team in the CFL has... it's called the ratio...

34 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Right.  I meant to focus on the depth but I got carried away about the starters.  I mean, you can say the depth isn't great but do other teams have 10 quality Canadian starters?  Once you get down into that 7-10 range, every team is going to be questionable.

Say we start Goossen, Neufeld, Chungh, Kohlert, Harris, Westerman, Shologan.  Anyone goes down, we have Hurl, Bucknor, JFG, Keeping, and Thomas on the bench.  All guys who have started games, in some cases dozens of games.  Are they ever going to be allstars?  No... but they can be pretty damn good backups to fill in for a few games.  If Harris or Westerman go down, we don't have a direct backup for them so you have to shuffle the lineup a bit.  But the other spots are covered.  OL is a little thin but the draft should help with that.

4 hours ago, J5V said:

I know what I saw, which was a secondary that got lit up repeatedly. Now it could be that they're really, really good and I just don't know what I'm talking about, as you suggest, but I tend to trust what I see. 

There are just too many variables to say that they themselves were horrible. Play called, and pressure up front being two big ones. You can be Deion sanders, but if the QB has 7 seconds to throw, good luck! Re watching the tape, our DB had excellent coverage often, but as the play went on, and broke down its literally impossible to cover everyone all the time. Hell I could beat Johnny Adams if the qb had enough time to throw the ball (sure he might need like a minute but still). Our weakest links were likely Washington and Johnson. Though they also did a lot of good things last year. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

A reporter? Oh my stars this changes everything!!!! Which reporter? Cause most of the reporters in Winnipeg can't tell their ass from a hole in the ground. 

yea going by a reporter's belief might as well be as wise as going by the comments in said reporter's article.

This discussion about the Bombers secondary has been going on for awhile now. Our secondary is the strength of our defense. It's our Front 7 that's the problem. We don't pressure the qb enough. We didn't have the personnel on the defensive line to have anywhere near the strongest pass rush in 2015. I don't care how good a secondary we have. if we don't pressure the qb then they are going to struggle as qbs will pick them apart. Remember, football is the ultimate team sport. All 12 players have to be functioning as a unit. if one area breaks down then it affects everyone else. Fix the pass rush & our secondary will look like all stars.