League approves 10 of 11 rule proposals

LeBird

According to Doug Brown the command centre will now basically have its thumb print on many aspect of the game. If his interpretation of the rule changes is correct, we are in for many game stoppages while some guy in Toronto reviews a play. And that's not good. The football fan sitting in the seat at the stadium is in most cases able to form an educated opinion of what he sees on the screen during a slow motion replay. So when the command centre's call is booed by all the fans, it's a pretty good indication the call was wrong.  They get as many calls wrong as there are by the refs that are debatable. 

Personally, I would get rid of all video replays and when the call it wrong just lump it. We will get our turn at some point. The game will last longer and guess who gains by having more time. The same people who I would guess had a strong influence in the adoption of the rules. The game stops for 30 seconds well let's throw a 20 second spot in there. How many times do you PVR a game only to find out you are missing the last part of the game.

Just my thinking.

34 minutes ago, LeBird said:

According to Doug Brown the command centre will now basically have its thumb print on many aspect of the game. If his interpretation of the rule changes is correct, we are in for many game stoppages while some guy in Toronto reviews a play. And that's not good. The football fan sitting in the seat at the stadium is in most cases able to form an educated opinion of what he sees on the screen during a slow motion replay. So when the command centre's call is booed by all the fans, it's a pretty good indication the call was wrong.  They get as many calls wrong as there are by the refs that are debatable. 

Personally, I would get rid of all video replays and when the call it wrong just lump it. We will get our turn at some point. The game will last longer and guess who gains by having more time. The same people who I would guess had a strong influence in the adoption of the rules. The game stops for 30 seconds well let's throw a 20 second spot in there. How many times do you PVR a game only to find out you are missing the last part of the game.

Just my thinking.

The intent is to have the "eye in the sky" communicating AS play is occurring, not forcing a stoppage after the fact. I say intent because I highly doubt that's actually what will happen but the initial goal is not to force any extra stoppages.

31 minutes ago, LeBird said:

Just my thinking.

I read the article and I don't get where you're getting that Brown's understanding is that there will be "many game stoppages".  He's over-exaggerated his opinion in my eyes, but I don't see anything that says he is suggesting what you've said.

There is an implication that there will be responsibilities to review plays that would not otherwise be challengeable to a larger degree, but that isn't the case.  Glen Johnson was at IGF yesterday and he explained these video review officials would not be looking at every play to determine missed calls by the on field referees, but rather sort out inconsistencies between them while they are in their huddle.  This is the planned purpose which hopefully doesn't affect the speed of the game at all.   He went on to say that if this ends up increasing the length of games, they have failed at its implementation.

I appreciate what you are saying and without wishing to sound like a smart a$$ I have to ask this question. The reason for the replay official is to correct errors possibly missed by the on field official. What would make this official better at calling a play on the fly as an eye in the sky that the on field ref who has an eye on the play? Like the refs who are in the game he will would have to go with the perception of what he saw without the benefit of a replay. Does it not become a he saw, he saw?

11 minutes ago, LeBird said:

I appreciate what you are saying and without wishing to sound like a smart a$$ I have to ask this question. The reason for the replay official is to correct errors possibly missed by the on field official. What would make this official better at calling a play on the fly as an eye in the sky that the on field ref who has an eye on the play? Like the refs who are in the game he will would have to go with the perception of what he saw without the benefit of a replay. Does it not become a he saw, he saw?

It's a lot easier to spot certain things from a different vantage point.

8 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

I read the article and I don't get where you're getting that Brown's understanding is that there will be "many game stoppages".  He's over-exaggerated his opinion in my eyes, but I don't see anything that says he is suggesting what you've said.

There is an implication that there will be responsibilities to review plays that would not otherwise be challengeable to a larger degree, but that isn't the case.  Glen Johnson was at IGF yesterday and he explained these video review officials would not be looking at every play to determine missed calls by the on field referees, but rather sort out inconsistencies between them while they are in their huddle.  This is the planned purpose which hopefully doesn't affect the speed of the game at all.   He went on to say that if this ends up increasing the length of games, they have failed at its implementation.

I posted before seeing your's. After your explanation I can see it might work but why do they need to do it during the play if the goal is only for corrective action. The problem might not be inconsistencies but more that some refs are just plain bad. In any case we shall see. It might not be anything to worry about.

12 minutes ago, LeBird said:

I posted before seeing your's. After your explanation I can see it might work but why do they need to do it during the play if the goal is only for corrective action. The problem might not be inconsistencies but more that some refs are just plain bad. In any case we shall see. It might not be anything to worry about.

During play, meaning during the normal flow of the game.  One of the goals behind the video official is to not even know that he is there. 

No one referee can always see what another one sees.  If a bunch of players are getting into a scrum, the video official can be the final word as to which player(s) should be flagged.  It's done on the fly, when the on field refs would be conversing anyways. 

Yeah the video official if anything will speed up the game. Example given last night by Glenn Johnson was there is movement at the line and four flags go up. So before there would be a huddle with the officials and each would make a case for who the foul was against. Now instead the video official quickly rewinds tape see who committed the foul and sends it to the ref. An aside I would recommend if your a season ticket hold going to the Make the Call event next year. Glenn Johnson does an excellent job breaking down the new rules, gives more clarity on what they are looking for in reviews and how rational that officials use in making calls. Very informative and I feel like I gain a new understanding of what they are doing out there.

3 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Yeah the video official if anything will speed up the game. Example given last night by Glenn Johnson was there is movement at the line and four flags go up. So before there would be a huddle with the officials and each would make a case for who the foul was against. Now instead the video official quickly rewinds tape see who committed the foul and sends it to the ref. An aside I would recommend if your a season ticket hold going to the Make the Call event next year. Glenn Johnson does an excellent job breaking down the new rules, gives more clarity on what they are looking for in reviews and how rational that officials use in making calls. Very informative and I feel like I gain a new understanding of what they are doing out there.

Is that an "open carry" event?

47 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

If the "eye in the sky" can reduce officials huddling together to debate a call, I'm all for it.  Eliminate the wordy explanations as well, if the call is wrong pick up the flag and get on with it.

Classic :)

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

if you dont want instant replay you must not remember the horrid refing of the early 2000s and prior very well. Replay is good, in a game of inches its important to get calls right. If anything put the XPA back to normal rules. 

Any one got a list of the new rules?

I was wondering that as well.. all good to know 10 out of 11 of them have been added but.. what where they again lol.

1 hour ago, SPuDS said:

I was wondering that as well.. all good to know 10 out of 11 of them have been added but.. what where they again lol.

If we could have challenged a none call pass interference on milt alone back in the early 2000s we would have won like 4-5 more games.

Yeah idr  the rule changes either. I wouldnt mind going a couple years with out a huge rule change. 

1 minute ago, iso_55 said:

Why not just get rid of the refs & have drones flying everywhere so we can call perfect games without the dumb human errors we see now. Technology is perfect. We know that.

cfl cant afford that. id take it in baseball hands down.

Glen Johnson explained a lot at the "You Make the call" presentation last night.  

These changes will hopefully help increase player safety (especially for linemen), reduce penalties (6.4 procedures/offsides per game last year, new 3 point stance rules will eliminate procedures), reduce overall game time (averaged 2h52 in 2015, NFL averaged 3h17, baseball is even longer) with less penalties and less referee huddles (by central talking to refs after plays are done such as who jumped, etc), and let teams better challenge punt returns in regards to blocking and no yards.

He stated that it took defensive players 3/4 of the season to adapt to the new 5 yard contact rule.  He compared that to hooking/hacking changes in the NHL which took 2 to 3 years for players to adapt.

I was quite impressed with his presentation yesterday.

Encouraging that the CFL is holding officials to a performance standard. Huge step forward. Three zebras whacked. Five demoted to CIS. Bout effen time sanctions are taken with poor performance.

End of article beneath "Under further review". http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/cleaning-up-the-cfl-game-375635471.html

Who were the three whacked? Did they affect us at all?

• 2 weeks later...