Donald Trump

Blueballz

I have been steeped in the Democratic Party all my life. My father, Jerry, was a New York City Democratic chairman and power broker, and I grew up in and around the Democratic Party. When I was a young man, former senators and Democratic presidential and vice-presidential nominees Herbert Humphrey and Estes Kefauver stayed at my apartment and we would proudly discuss the great traditions of the Democratic Party.

My father was a pallbearer at St. Patrick’s for Bobby Kennedy’s funeral. When I was young, Robert F. Kennedy and John F. Kennedy were (and remain) my political heroes. Four years ago, former New York Gov. and liberal lion Mario Cuomo spoke at my father’s funeral. I think his son, current Gov. Andrew Cuomo, is a very effective leader.

I was elected five times to the New York state Assembly as a Democrat. In 1977, I beatDavid Dinkins and Robert Wagner Jr. in the election for borough president of Manhattan, and then was elected twice as City Council president.

With this background it is very hard for me not to support the Democratic nominee for president this year. But I believe my party has become the party of the elites and moneyed class and has deserted its historic mission as the party of the working class and disadvantaged.

Given my level of discomfort with the current leftist orientation of the Democratic Party, I am now supporting Republican nominee Donald Trump for president. I urge my fellow Democrats to vote for Mr. Trump. I have known him since the early 1970s and have seen his deep concern for people, and how effective he has been while working on behalf of the average citizen.

Donald Trump is no racist. On the contrary, he offers the best hope for rebuilding our inner cities and creating better education and jobs for those trapped in poverty and lacking hope. When a hurricane devastated Puerto Rico in 1984, I asked Mr. Trump to provide a 727 airliner to bring critical supplies to the island. He did so and without publicity. I asked him to rebuild the Wollman Skating Rink in Central Park because the city couldn’t complete it in 10 years. Mr. Trump did it in under six months and under budget.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/party-loyalty-cant-make-me-vote-for-clinton-1474498244

54 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I just cant help but feel Trump is out of touch.  I dont doubt he cares about people and has a humanitarian side to him.  But if I was American, i would be flipping sides and voting Clinton.

I also dont think Trump is racist.  I think he's just stupid about things he says. 

I don't think he's racist... didn't he have Bobby Lashley help him out in the WWE a few years back??

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yes but Im not sure he knew his name,

Trump *could* be racist but more in an ignorant elitist way than a "I hate black people" way. 

and yet I am finding it's the arrogant elitists in the Democrat side of the ledger that are costing them this election.  The constant sermons about how Trump is this or that and therefore you HAVE to vote for Hillary, is wearing thin.  I get it that its hip and cool to be PC and constantly in guilt mode about everything, but there's a potential silent majority out there who are sick and tired of the PC culture, and don't want another 8 years of same.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

and yet I am finding it's the arrogant elitists in the Democrat side of the ledger that are costing them this election.  The constant sermons about how Trump is this or that and therefore you HAVE to vote for Hillary, is wearing thin.  I get it that its hip and cool to be PC and constantly in guilt mode about everything, but there's a potential silent majority out there who are sick and tired of the PC culture, and don't want another 8 years of same.

Yeah....but its not untrue.  it might not be playing well but I think there is a certain of "what the ****, about Trump and the sense, unless Hilary is killing puppies, then yeah, you DO have to vote for her".  But Im a conservative.  I'd vote for Hilary.  And I was SUPER open minded about Trump.  I just think the job requires more than a charismatic bombastic nature.  I didnt like when Obama ran on empty "change" and people went nuts in love with his message that was not a message.  Same with Trump. 

And yeah I know Hilary isnt perfect.  Neither candidate is young, fresh and capturing hearts and minds in an exciting way.  People are quick, especially now, to say they dont want a "politician" but lets be honest, you need some knowledge and savvy.  I wouldnt hire a plumber with no experience, nor would I hire a President.  Same argument in Canada when people tried to argue JTs resume versus Harper's.  You can like JT for whatever reason but dont pretend he compares to Harper in skills for the job.

Trump lacks skills for the job.  Some he has.  Leadership?  I would suggest so.  Delegation?  Most certainly.  But he's used to getting his way and I dont think he is pragmatic enough.  Bad things will happen.

we'll see how the debate goes.  I have Trump supporting American friends who are hoping that Hillary has a seizure and keels over at the podium.  I am wondering what she's going to attack him on.  I would hope it would be policy or lack thereof, and stay away from the name-calling about racism and bigotry.  That will bog down quickly.  Just draw him out and talk about real issues, and Trump should flounder and fail.

3 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

we'll see how the debate goes.  I have Trump supporting American friends who are hoping that Hillary has a seizure and keels over at the podium.  I am wondering what she's going to attack him on.  I would hope it would be policy or lack thereof, and stay away from the name-calling about racism and bigotry.  That will bog down quickly.  Just draw him out and talk about real issues, and Trump should flounder and fail.

I agree.  He will come across charismatic and take some shots at her and get applause.  But if she remains on point, enough people will see through his rhetoric to tip things back to her.  Whomever "wins" will have the media pushing that narrative and could tip the scales.

Although an October Surprise at some point would not be a...surprise.

This makes my blood boil, and also is a perfect example of why Trump is moving up rapidly in the polls  This social justice warrior in the video trying to make this guy take his hat off because she disagrees with Trump because he "preaches hate".  People are so sick of this elitist crap.  I watch this censorship going on in the name of political correctness, and it downright scares me.  I am sure it scares others too. This girl should be the poster-child for why Hillary loses the election.  And she will be completely bewildered when it happens. 

Edited by kelownabomberfan

Yeah...I dont know.  Normally I'd agree with you on that.  But id David Duke was the nominee would we think it was right to wear David Duke support hats?  Plus, I think a lot of Trump supporters are rock star groupies and not people who have really given it some thought.  Certainly, people have the right to wear what they want.  People have the right to disagree.  If I wore a Trump support hat or shirt, I really wouldnt get angry when people question me...I'd expect it.

Donald dropping the ball on the Birther stuff. Hilary with a good shot about preparing to be president. Donald sounds good speaking though. 

Donald should just be honest and straight forward. He's good when he does that. Hilary almost too careful.  But measured. 

That's in ten minutes of listening. Lol 

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

He's arguing too much about whether he was against war in Iraq. 

It's amazing how he can say he was against it when he was quoted in umpteen reports/articles that he was for it and didn't change his opinion until quite a well after the war had started.

22 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

It's amazing how he can say he was against it when he was quoted in umpteen reports/articles that he was for it and didn't change his opinion until quite a well after the war had started.

Even if he believes he was being flippant about it initially he comes across terrible yelling over Holt and talking in circles. It makes him see evasive. And his pleas of "somome call Sean hannity!" Did him no favours lol 

he does well when he speaks plainly. He has a strong speaking style. He speaks in pointed "one liners". Very good debater. From what I see, he is his own opponent 

hard for Hilary to overcome Trumps charisma and bombasity. She's doing the right thing staying on point. But trump speaks to the sound byte generation.  I don't know....

What a crappy debate.   I'm sure glad I'm not an American.

I consider myself somewhat right of center, I believe strongly in personal freedom and personal responsibility.  I believe that small government is generally better than big government, but I do recognize the need for social services.  I believe in public healthcare, good education, and strong investments in infrastructure, but all of these should be delivered in the most efficient method possible.     At home I've tended to vote Conservative, but have at times voted for other candidates when I felt they better represented my position. (never ever voted NDP).   I usually (but not always) favour Republicans over Democrats in the US.

I also believe that both Trump and Clinton are crooked.  They both lie and cheat.  

I wouldn't do business with Trump as he has no moral compass and would do anything to avoid paying his bills.  Every time I hear him speak, I get the feeling that he's simply about self promotion for his own business interests.  In the debate, he had no depth to his arguments, other than the ones on the economy.  I thought he started strongly and was the better of the two on domestic economic platforms.

Clinton flip flops on issues and also appears to have no soul.  Her big government approach would be devastatingly bad for the economy, and would drive more business out of the country.  

She was, however, the stronger debater.   This wasn't based on what she said so much, as how she was smart enough to let Donald rant and rave over every issue until he buried himself.   

Trump's biggest mistakes:  

1. Debating the birther issue.   All he had to say is that it is over, it is in the past, and it has no relevance on the future.  Instead he tried to twist it onto Hillary, and he looked like a fool.  I was amazed a how much post-debate time CNN spent on it.

2.  His personal taxes.   He flipped and flopped at one point saying that he'd release them when the audit was done, and then later saying that he'd release them when Hillary released her emails.  One of the best lines of the night came when the moderator asked if it was now negotiable.  He compounded his problems by boasting about how not paying his taxes made him "smart".    I don't think that this resonated well with the general public.   It also came back to bite him when he ranted about NATO partners not paying their fair share.

3.  Taking the bait time and time again.  He lost composure and reminded me of Abe Simpson at times.  

4.  Not being prepared.  He rambled from topic to topic.  I still don't know which was the worst deal of all time, NAFTA or Iran.  He used the same description of each: "worst deal of all time".    By using hyperbole on every issue, he diminishes the importance of each one.  

Clinton won the debate, but I'm not sure that this election is over.  

If it were my vote, I'd vote for Gary Johnson, the Libertarian.   He's on the ballot in all states, and is much cleaner than either of the two main clowns.  It may be a wasted vote, but I couldn't vote for either of the two.  IMHO voting or spoiling a ballot is much more meaningful than not voting.   Not voting says you don't care.  Spoiling a ballot says I need better choices but I do care enough to come out to vote.

Sad commentary on the state of American politics......when you have these two particular people competing for the job of running the United States of America.

Hillary Clinton is tough, smart and experienced and the first women to be a party nominee.   All good stuff, indeed.  

However,  she is also a robotic ole time political hack,  without a ounce of Bill's personalty, wit or empathy.   The pursuit of power is the end in itself.   When she "smiles", Hillary somewhat resembles the agent.... who just sold you that ole piece of swampland.  

Donald Trump is a large than life reality show personality.   A Business mogul who has made and lost countless millions, Everything has to be about him 24/7. Bombast, hyperbole and insults, with simple messaging delivered in generalities ..are his stock in trade.  

Trump has done a good job of tapping in the fear and anger of a lot of Americans towards "politics as usual"  "big government" "foreigners" and unfortunately also has strong appeal with gun nuts, racists, and some other fringe elements out there.

The split screens showed off these traits of both, quite well.

As far as the debate.    Clinton simply stood back and let Trump be Trump - unfocused, petulant, unprepared, and rambling or almost incoherent at times.  Frankly his articulation span appears to be much longer than his attention one. 

Not convinced that Clinton is fit to run for President.

Not convinced that Trump is fit to run for Dogcatcher