Mike O'Shea on #QandView

Mr Dee

9 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Merry Christmas, Dee.  Hope Santa is good to you this year.  That the coming year is your best yet for you & your family.

I'm not the Bomber Head Coach. Big difference. 

Hey iso, right back at you with the best wishes...

My god.. This again?! Who the hell cares if mike oshea wants to be the only dart board for our media to try and skewer?  I honestly dont get it.  They will say the EXACT same stuff mos will.  Need to review film, thought we did this or that good or bad.. Etc etc.

this inane sense of entitlement and that we are being so wronged by the media not being able to talk to lapolice and hall is just so laughable.  So.. Winnipeggian lol.

Mike isn't very adept at handling questions from a media that I don't think is really that tough on him. He loses his patience & can be very short with them even though I believe the majority of the reporters & broadcasters are on his side. I mean Lawless was his biggest cheerleader at season end & who would ever have thought that?  Lawless? Who's next, Wiecek? 

A lot of coaches can side step landmines or fresh cow dung being thrown at them at pressers. They all get angry but over time they get good at handling the media. Mike still has a lot to learn, I think. And SPuDS, if the media never asked questions then everything would be done in secrecy & there'd be no news so I don't think that's a good thing either.  It's not a sense of entitlement. It's how you build a fanbase & maintain or get people interested. 

11 hours ago, SPuDS said:

My god.. This again?! Who the hell cares if mike oshea wants to be the only dart board for our media to try and skewer?  I honestly dont get it.  They will say the EXACT same stuff mos will.  Need to review film, thought we did this or that good or bad.. Etc etc.

this inane sense of entitlement and that we are being so wronged by the media not being able to talk to lapolice and hall is just so laughable.  So.. Winnipeggian lol.

My god.. This again? Good grief man. Some folks want to hear what the coordinators have to say. You don't care. What else is there to 'understand'?

It's got nothing to do with skewering the Bombers or a sense of entitlement. It's about more and better Bomber coverage. It's about working with the media instead of against it. It's about different angles to stories. It's about the coaches closest to the situation giving their opinions. It's about coaches who are better with the media getting a chance to use that to the Bombers advantage. It's about one less thing for the media/fans to complain about. 

10 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

My god.. This again? Good grief man. Some folks want to hear what the coordinators have to say. You don't care. What else is there to 'understand'?

It's got nothing to do with skewering the Bombers or a sense of entitlement. It's about more and better Bomber coverage. It's about working with the media instead of against it. It's about different angles to stories. It's about the coaches closest to the situation giving their opinions. It's about coaches who are better with the media getting a chance to use that to the Bombers advantage. It's about one less thing for the media/fans to complain about. 

There like 15 people in the city who complain about it. A few in the media, some on here and nobody else. Of all the fans I know not one has ever been upset about not hearing from a coordinator. They're upset about the shitty team. Personally the only positive is I no longer have to listen to lapo.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think you're in a small minority who cares about this issue. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I just realized that Spuds and TBurg are the exact polar opposite posters on this site.......I think the goal of every poster should be to sit somewhere right in the middle of those two, rationale-wise....

call the person spudsberg, spurg, or  .... urgspud....

no really.....

I don't disagree with the people that want access to the coordinators, my issue is when there was access, what did the media ask?  Nothing.  They may have had an interview or 2 in the offseason which may or may not had to do with football, but when it comes to during the regular season, our media always went to the GM, or the HC.

14 minutes ago, holoman said:

I don't disagree with the people that want access to the coordinators, my issue is when there was access, what did the media ask?  Nothing.  They may have had an interview or 2 in the offseason which may or may not had to do with football, but when it comes to during the regular season, our media always went to the GM, or the HC.

I find that the only people who object to this policy are the people who don't like O'Shea. I think this is just another thing for his detractors to gripe about, and probably the most inconsequential. I don't think the vast majority of fans could care less one way or another about this. I think some are hoping that one of his coordinators might not be on point with something O'Shea said fifteen months ago and would like to drag this around the forum as a hollow victory that signifies their correctness in their disbelief in O'Shea.

I don't like O'Shea because of his record, because he provided less wins in season 2 than season 1, because his team didn't beat any of the top 4 teams, because we didn't have even 2 wins in a row since the summer of 2014 and a myriad of other reasons, none of which relate to his media policy. I wouldn't like this policy if Huffer or Trestman or anyone else that I like and respect made it. 

I'm not hoping that something a coordinator says might not be on point with what O'Shea says. Who cares if a coordinator has a different view than the HC anyway? They're adults and 'experts' in their field. I expect some differences but I'm not looking for them.

I'm sure that there are a bunch of things that I care about that others don't and just as sure that they care about a bunch of things that I don't. Differences make for better conversation IMO. I'm not sure why some folks around here believe that wanting more info on the Bombers from more sources must have some sinister ulterior motive. It doesn't. 

The best possible comparison I can make for Mike O'Shea, if he's going to improve, is Ron Rivera in Carolina. And you can equate, in a way, Drew Willy to Cam Newton as well if you tie the pairs together (O'Shea/Willy & Rivera/Newton)

Very similar results in their first two years and Rivera was critiqued for a lot of the same things that O'Shea has been. He did a lot of the things right that O'Shea does as well.

Can O'Shea turn the corner similar to how Rivera did? Let's hope so.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Personally I haven't read a Bombers article since the FP paywall went up and I don't miss it at all.  I watch the O'Shea pressers and follow news on twitter.  It's shocking how little there is to gain from reading traditional sports articles these days.

Off topic, but do you have an iPhone? If so, you can simply bypass the paywall and read anything you want on mobile.  

28 minutes ago, Mike said:

The best possible comparison I can make for Mike O'Shea, if he's going to improve, is Ron Rivera in Carolina. And you can equate, in a way, Drew Willy to Cam Newton as well if you tie the pairs together (O'Shea/Willy & Rivera/Newton)

Very similar results in their first two years and Rivera was critiqued for a lot of the same things that O'Shea has been. He did a lot of the things right that O'Shea does as well.

Can O'Shea turn the corner similar to how Rivera did? Let's hope so.

This is a funny parallel to draw (and I've actually had similar thoughts myself).   Rivera had a lot of the same tendencies that O'Shea has had early in his coaching career.  Very conservative.  Going with "the numbers" as opposed to taking risks and being aggressive.   It was only two or three games into his third season when rumors began swirling his firing was imminent (to be fair, there WERE discussions about his release following his second year but I think, from a personnel standpoint, the organization had actually begun to feel out replacements).

Then a light came on.  They started being more aggressive, taking calculated risks.  And the team responded .. it didn't hurt that Newton also began to evolve as a quarterback .. but the team responded .. much the same way O'Shea's team responded once we stopped playing "by the numbers" .. risks on ST proved successful but I think he also needs to be less conservative overall .. let the team develop confidence .. play fast and loose ..  This is a game you play to win .. not to "not lose".  

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

Personally I haven't read a Bombers article since the FP paywall went up and I don't miss it at all.  I watch the O'Shea pressers and follow news on twitter.  It's shocking how little there is to gain from reading traditional sports articles these days.

Fact is if you're already reading this board, you're not going to get anything extra from reading a newspaper article.

6 hours ago, holoman said:

I don't disagree with that statement at all as you're right. Every coach on Mike's staff should be on the same page with him whther it's the HC, Coordinators or position coaches. Why the need then to silent the other coaches to control the message?

If a coach like John Hufnagel doesn't find it a problem for his coaches to talk to the media (& they do) then why should O'Shea? Dave Dickenson talked to the media after every game. Never heard from the Stamps DC at all as I don't think he wanted to talk to the media but Huff let Dickenson deal with the press & broadcasters. He never handled a post game presser as Huff always did that but the  media would seek out Dave for his comments after a game win or lose.