Mike O'Shea on #QandView

Mr Dee

44 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Not likely. In the PLAP presser, reporters asked if the coordinators would get to talk and PLAP rightly said that's the HC's decision and he'd go with whatever O'Shea wanted. BTW: Both PLAP and Hall have more media experience than MOS. I'd bet that they wouldn't have any problems doing a weekly media Q & A.

So then what is the problem with allowing the coordinators to talk to the media? If he's not good dealing with the media, why not let others handle it?

The media in Winnipeg hasn't earned the right to talk to the coordinators. They all try and lead people down a path of answering questions in a specific way to fit their pre-determined story. If they would ask decent questions and not leading questions I bet the media would have access, but this way O'Shea can keep the media pricks in line. They want access they can start to be professionals and do their jobs well. They are the most entitled self important assholes going through and they simply hate when someone tells them no.

7 minutes ago, White Out said:

I think that MOS considered this policy because frankly most coordinators around the league are better at coaching than him. Once he gets canned by us, he will be a coordinator elsewhere and can rest assured no one will be allowed to ask him questions.

So what if the head coach tells the media to ask his STC (MOS) for the answer to their question? He's going to have to answer, isn't he?

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The media in Winnipeg hasn't earned the right to talk to the coordinators. They all try and lead people down a path of answering questions in a specific way to fit their pre-determined story. If they would ask decent questions and not leading questions I bet the media would have access, but this way O'Shea can keep the media pricks in line. They want access they can start to be professionals and do their jobs well. They are the most entitled self important assholes going through and they simply hate when someone tells them no.

I don't generally like the media either for the reasons you have listed but it isn't fair to the fans, who want answers for their team's/coach's performance, to be shut out like this. 

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Toronto had been doing this for awhile.....as in, when MOS was there.....and it's a policy he kept from that time. Simple.

But what about the fans? They rely on the media to get the answers about their team. Surely we aren't trying to create a disinterested fan base like they have in Toronto.

13 minutes ago, J5V said:

I don't generally like the media either for the reasons you have listed but it isn't fair to the fans, who want answers for their team's/coach's performance, to be shut out like this. 

Oh please, the fans aren't shut out because the media doesn't actually give the fans the info they want. The media in Winnipeg likes to create a story then go looking for quotes to support it. 

14 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

If they start winning, O'Shea could send the janitor out there for the interview.  Just win, boys, it fixes everything.

LOL! Very true. I'd love to see a repeat of that 5-1 start from 2 years ago. If it goes 1-5 though, and no one is allowed to talk to the media, I can see things getting beyond the ugly.

I find O'Shea can be very engaging. He knows the answers, and will patiently give you the answers, as long as you ask the relevant questions in a professional manner. The kind of questions some of these guys ask prove they're not listening to the message or don't bother to see what's going on. And let's face it, sometimes he just doesn't have the answers right away. 

I think it's malarkey to assume that you're going to get answers to questions that you really, really have to know...from the coordinators. What kind of answers can they give right away anyways that isn't obvious enough already? 

LaPolice is not magically to give the same kind of break-down answers like on his playbook segments..he just won't have immediate answers.

If he's going to growl, scowl & smirk his way thru another season of his after game pressers clearly annoyed having to be there to answer questions then he's just hurting his chances of being here after 2016 if the team struggles. To me, not having access to the coaching staff isn't the smartest thing. 

Not sure what peoples' expectations are for the media. The team plays poorly and you want them to spin something positive out of it? Perhaps if we were tasked with generating a story or two everyday we might have a better appreciation and understanding of just how difficult that actually is. No thanks, I wouldn't want to do it. 

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Toronto had been doing this for awhile.....as in, when MOS was there.....and it's a policy he kept from that time. Simple.

That's not what MOS said . He said when talking to fans that he was going to let his coaches talk to the media when he was initially hired but Darren Cameron suggested not doing that. Thanks Darren, now the media deals with & fans see a coach in front of the cameras who clearly doesn't want to be there all snarly or evasive.  He doesn't seem to get the fact that part of his job as HC is to deal with the media.

The Winnipeg media is nothing like coaches in NFL cities like San Francisco, New York or Dallas have to deal with. This is a small 9 team league well behind the NHL in local & national coverage. As much as I think the 2 malcontents in the Wpg media (Wiecek & Friesen) act stupid questions or make  questionable statements in a presser after 2 full seasons O'Shea should be able to handle them yet he seems he can't.

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

84.5% (source: Research Institute of Research) of fans wouldn't even notice that the coordinators don't field questions if the media would stop making such a stink about it.

Bob Irving always had these guys on the radio and mostly it was just folksy stuff about how they got to the league and what they do in the off-season. Nobody is expecting anything other than that. It helps promote the football club. 

6 hours ago, J5V said:

We might learn a lot. If someone asks O'Shea a question about a scheme on offence he might not know since offence isn't his thing. If he instead defers to his new media-savvy OC we might hear the answer and frankly, that's something that interests me greatly.

You're giving Winnipeg media a lot of credit for them to ask schematic questions

The HC is also a PR position especially here as Mike has decided to be the only face of the team. If that face doesn't behave well because he has to field questions he didn't like after a loss well, that's on him because that's what he signed up for & should have known better. Once I see O'Shea improve in that area I'll know he's actually growing into his role as HC.