Chris Jones to Saskatchewan Roughriders confirmed

blueandgoldguy

It look like they opened the vault spend a lot on their front office and coaches.

There was an interesting article (don't know if anyone has linked it here) that talked about the need to implement an "administrative cap" .. thought it was on point.  I'll see if I can dig it up ..

edit: here it is - http://3downnation.com/2015/12/08/its-time-again-for-a-cfl-spending-cap-it-saved-the-riders-once/

I imagine to pull Murphy away from the Stamps they're paying him in the ball-park of $400,000, Jones at $600,000+ add in $250,000 to keep O'Day around and two more years of paying Chamblin and Taman $750,000 to stay away.  That pay-roll is enough to make the accountant's eyes water.

This reminds me of the days when Edmonton could 'buy' their way into the Grey Cup. The Bombers had some good teams back then, but not the same purse strings. Result? 5 Grey Cups in a row for Edmonton.

Another result? The SMS.

Saskatchewan probably threw a few TD passes with these hires, and everybody is stunned...and jealous. But could any other team have afforded these moves? I highly doubt it.

Good or bad, it's moving forward...

From 1973 the Eskimos went to the Grey Cup in nine out of ten years. Over half of that time playing out of Clarke Stadium. They then moved into the CFL's third largest stadium (Commonwealth) that had approximately 42,300 seats, with about 39,500 being sideline seats.

The 70's were a good time to build a team as there was no free agency. If you found good players you basically got to keep them. If other teams, notably the BC Lions, were not good at evaluating talent you could pick up their castoffs (i.e. Tom Wilkinson, Bob Howes) or make trades for guys like Larry Highbaugh. 1972 was a great year for the Eskimos to pick up cast-offs since being the worst team in 1971 meant they got first crack at cuts.

I also recall the Eskimos had a scout, Frankie Morris, evaluating Canadian talent. His wikipedia page states that he was a member of seven Grey Cup teams as a part of management (for people outside Edmonton, that means Grey Cup winning teams). He died in 2009 at 85 so it is fairly likely he wasn't involved with the Eskimos for the '05, '03 and '93 Cups. Safe to say 1975 was his first Grey Cup as a scout. Winnipeg stadium was as big as Clarke Stadium. I'm not sure other teams were scouting like the Eskimos back then. He was scouting before the Eskimos could possibly have any advantage over the other teams.

When the Eskimos wanted Tommy Scott from the Bombers they couldn't wait until the end of the year for him to be a free agent and outbid the Bombers. They had to trade for him. How did that trade work out for the Bombers? I would say pretty well. Can you name any players the Eskimos got from other teams because that other team couldn't afford them?

What can you point to to say the Eskimos bought that team?  When did the SMS start? I've seen people say they bought Grey Cups but no one every seems to provide evidence.

You basically answered your own question. Because there was success early, the Eskimos always had big crowds, in big stadiums and earned lots of dollars...which were used to acquire good players and afforded them the luxury of keeping them.

Sure they must have had good scouting or connections, and good on them, but they could also afford it. And what was key? Quarterbacking.

QBs? Wilkinson, Warren Moon, Lemmerman were kept on the roster at that time.

Coaches? Don Matthews (asst coach) Cal Murphy (asst coach) Hugh Campbell (Head Coach) at one time.

No, other teams couldn't spend with the Eskimos at that time, before the SMS.

They were probably the example used to have some sort of cap in the league.

Dieter Brock Winnipeg Blue Bombers 1974 - 1983 was pretty good and the Bombers kept him all the time.  Joe Poplawski 1978-1986, long time Bomber stars, how did he get to stay?

Hugh Campbell came from Whitworth College in Spokane, Don Mathews was a high school coach before he came to the Eskimos. Cal Murphy was a Bomber for much longer than he was an Eskimo, how could the Bombers afford him?

Every team was able to keep their players and coaches back then.

I have to agree with Esks1975, those Eskimo teams were better managed and found better talent.  What they paid was irrelevant. There was very little player movement at that time. Your options were to sign with the team that held your rights, hold out or try the NFL. That's what held the talent in place. In the free agent market of today a 5 year string is unthinkable.  2 is the most in recent years (montreal 2009,2010)  and you have to go back the Doug Flutie era to find the next previous.

What the Esks did back then that made them successful, was create a shadow roster (kinda like the PR today) but was under the table. They would bring in their talent, groom them in their systems, and it created a steady succession of CFL ready players while other teams were teaching their new imports on the fly. These players were not signed to the team, as there were roster limits, but were paid on personal services contracts to various boosters acting as payroll engines.

It was a big part of why they were so good for so long. While they didn't pay anymore per se for their starting lineup, they did pay a lot more for players than anyone else. It was just off the books.

It look like they opened the vault spend a lot on their front office and coaches.

There was an interesting article (don't know if anyone has linked it here) that talked about the need to implement an "administrative cap" .. thought it was on point.  I'll see if I can dig it up ..

edit: here it is - http://3downnation.com/2015/12/08/its-time-again-for-a-cfl-spending-cap-it-saved-the-riders-once/

I imagine to pull Murphy away from the Stamps they're paying him in the ball-park of $400,000, Jones at $600,000+ add in $250,000 to keep O'Day around and two more years of paying Chamblin and Taman $750,000 to stay away.  That pay-roll is enough to make the accountant's eyes water.

This reminds me of the days when Edmonton could 'buy' their way into the Grey Cup. The Bombers had some good teams back then, but not the same purse strings. Result? 5 Grey Cups in a row for Edmonton.

Another result? The SMS.

Saskatchewan probably threw a few TD passes with these hires, and everybody is stunned...and jealous. But could any other team have afforded these moves? I highly doubt it.

From 1973 the Eskimos went to the Grey Cup in nine out of ten years. Over half of that time playing out of Clarke Stadium. They then moved into the CFL's third largest stadium (Commonwealth) that had approximately 42,300 seats, with about 39,500 being sideline seats.

The 70's were a good time to build a team as there was no free agency. If you found good players you basically got to keep them. If other teams, notably the BC Lions, were not good at evaluating talent you could pick up their castoffs (i.e. Tom Wilkinson, Bob Howes) or make trades for guys like Larry Highbaugh. 1972 was a great year for the Eskimos to pick up cast-offs since being the worst team in 1971 meant they got first crack at cuts.

I also recall the Eskimos had a scout, Frankie Morris, evaluating Canadian talent. His wikipedia page states that he was a member of seven Grey Cup teams as a part of management (for people outside Edmonton, that means Grey Cup winning teams). He died in 2009 at 85 so it is fairly likely he wasn't involved with the Eskimos for the '05, '03 and '93 Cups. Safe to say 1975 was his first Grey Cup as a scout. Winnipeg stadium was as big as Clarke Stadium. I'm not sure other teams were scouting like the Eskimos back then. He was scouting before the Eskimos could possibly have any advantage over the other teams.

When the Eskimos wanted Tommy Scott from the Bombers they couldn't wait until the end of the year for him to be a free agent and outbid the Bombers. They had to trade for him. How did that trade work out for the Bombers? I would say pretty well. Can you name any players the Eskimos got from other teams because that other team couldn't afford them?

What can you point to to say the Eskimos bought that team?  When did the SMS start? I've seen people say they bought Grey Cups but no one every seems to provide evidence.

Your opinion doesn't surprise me because it is a common conscience clearing opinion most Eskimo fans have. There was no cap so they were free to spend as much as they wanted. They were destroying the league to a point where we almost didn't have one. The eskimoes are in unchartered waters this year however, as their roster will get raided at free agency. Back in the good old days before the pesky salary cap the esks could win year after year and not lose a single player because they could continue to pay them more than anyone else could. Now that the sms is in place, teams that win the cup commonly have a moderate turnover of their roster because free agents want more money to stay. That's why its harder to string cup wins together and sustain success in the modern CFL. Calgary being the benchmark recently for sustained success has relied heavily on great scouting to keep things going. I also think that is why the Edmonton media is sour about the Jones situation, they thought the glory years were back.

Another result? The SMS.

Your opinion doesn't surprise me because it is a common conscience clearing opinion most Eskimo fans have. There was no cap so they were free to spend as much as they wanted. They were destroying the league to a point where we almost didn't have one. The eskimoes are in unchartered waters this year however, as their roster will get raided at free agency. Back in the good old days before the pesky salary cap the esks could win year after year and not lose a single player because they could continue to pay them more than anyone else could. Now that the sms is in place, teams that win the cup commonly have a moderate turnover of their roster because free agents want more money to stay. That's why its harder to string cup wins together and sustain success in the modern CFL. Calgary being the benchmark recently for sustained success has relied heavily on great scouting to keep things going. I also think that is why the Edmonton media is sour about the Jones situation, they thought the glory years were back.

Any city, including Regina, who won a championship only to have its entire coaching staff pilfered by another team a few weeks after that championship win would be sour. 

Not criticizing Regina for doing it.  Just saying if the shoe was on the other foot, what would the fans and media in Regina be saying right now?    I don't think it has anything to do with people thinking the glory years were back.

2007 Roughriders win the cup. Austin is let out of his contract to go to the NCAA. Now I guess not stolen by another cfl team but Austin used his success to vault himself into a promotion somewhere else, while still under contract to the riders.  And believe me the fans in Regina were wild about him leaving. Many still hate Austin to this day for leaving.  We lost all 3 starting linebackers that winter to free agency. Our team lost players because as it commonly happens in a cup year, everyone on team thinks they were the key reason why the team won and they need a big raise. I highly doubt many esk free agents end up in sask this year, if any. But make no mistake, Sewell, Grimes and others will garner interest around the league and the esks will have to pay up to try to keep the roster together, which I have doubts they will be able to do. It has nothing to do with the riders but more to do with winning, when you are a winner, everyone wants a piece of you. That's more what I was referring to with the Esks, they used to be able to afford the raises, but now they have a level playing field with everyone else and can't.

What the Esks did back then that made them successful, was create a shadow roster (kinda like the PR today) but was under the table. They would bring in their talent, groom them in their systems, and it created a steady succession of CFL ready players while other teams were teaching their new imports on the fly. These players were not signed to the team, as there were roster limits, but were paid on personal services contracts to various boosters acting as payroll engines.

It was a big part of why they were so good for so long. While they didn't pay anymore per se for their starting lineup, they did pay a lot more for players than anyone else. It was just off the books.

Used to call it a taxi squad, every team had one but the number of players differed largely between teams as it was "unofficial" and of course the Esks. had the biggest one going at the time.

I realize you are spit balling numbers to just try to make the riders look bad.  John Murphy's contract is up with the Stamps and he applied for GM job with the riders so we didn't exactly pull him away from the stamps. 400k is more than a head coach makes so highly doubt that number unless u can provide a link or proof. Even though Murphy wasn't hired as GM he has received a promotion here. As far as Jones at 600k, that's a great price for a coach/gm combo probably far less than the bombers are currently paying their 2 people in those positions. O'Day may be at 250k, likely going rate for a AGM.  As far as Taman/ Chamblin, coaches get fired all the time and contracts have to be paid, how much did bombers pay Lapo to sit at home??

Thank you for putting the right wording to what I was trying to say - shadow roster, I like that description and that's what they were doing. Why? Because they could afford it.

I realize you are spit balling numbers to just try to make the riders look bad.  John Murphy's contract is up with the Stamps and he applied for GM job with the riders so we didn't exactly pull him away from the stamps. 400k is more than a head coach makes so highly doubt that number unless u can provide a link or proof. Even though Murphy wasn't hired as GM he has received a promotion here. As far as Jones at 600k, that's a great price for a coach/gm combo probably far less than the bombers are currently paying their 2 people in those positions. O'Day may be at 250k, likely going rate for a AGM.  As far as Taman/ Chamblin, coaches get fired all the time and contracts have to be paid, how much did bombers pay Lapo to sit at home??

I think you're out of your mind if you think 600,00 is far less than what the BB are paying oshea and Walters. I'd be surprised it was more.

AGMs 100-150 range.....Murphy is now in the double range of that in his new gig. Teams are getting concerned because things are getting out of whack. Coordinators were in the 125-140 range and now some of getting 200. Mack was in the 325-350 range and it was believed he was the low man in the league. And the story was Walters took a cut to spread more money around in the scouting dept. Winnipeg remains challenged in the competitive coaching salaries. People can no longer cry cheap in the player salaries as the cap is the cap.

Another result? The SMS.

Don't need any conscience clearing as you are not providing any proof that the Eskimos 'bought' their Grey Cups (I'm assuming the ones from 1978 to 1982). There was no free agency at the time so players were not able to shop themselves and go to the highest paying team. Take a look at the Eskimos' rosters of those years and tell me what stars they got from other teams? 

What time period would it be considered that the Eskimos were buying their way to success?

Another result? The SMS.

Don't need any conscience clearing as you are not providing any proof that the Eskimos 'bought' their Grey Cups (I'm assuming the ones from 1978 to 1982). There was no free agency at the time so players were not able to shop themselves and go to the highest paying team. Take a look at the Eskimos' rosters of those years and tell me what stars they got from other teams? 

What time period would it be considered that the Eskimos were buying their way to success?

Like that's such a bad thing anyways... love to see the Bombers buy some success

The eskimo's had cash resources available and a big stadium built by taxpayers money. Obviously the rest of the league saw it was a problem or there wouldn't have been a SMS brought it. Can we at least agree on that?  Buying cups simply refers to them being able to do things none of the other teams at that time could do. I don't expect you to acknowledge that because you are a Eskimo fan,but everyone else see's it as plain as day.

I think you're out of your mind if you think 600,00 is far less than what the BB are paying oshea and Walters. I'd be surprised it was more.

Serious question, How much do you think O'shea makes and Walters make?  O'Shea was a rookie head coach so likely 200-250. Walters 300-350.  Thoughts?