Chris Jones to Saskatchewan Roughriders confirmed

blueandgoldguy

Arash Madani @ArashMadani

Every Eskimos assistant coach has a contract expiring on Dec. 31. #CFL sources tell me Chris Jones hopes to bring his Edmonton staff to Sask

Issue that has revealed itself across the #CFL is the real lack of depth in the GM/head coaching talent pool. Major problem for the league.

Per #CFL sources: Chris Jones has yet to sign his deal with the Riders, but will later today in advance of this afternoon press conference.

Lots of mutual jerking off and ignoring the fact Jones just did to EDM what Austin supposedly did to to Riders and is still condemned to this day for it by many Priders. The fine tradition of hypocrisy will never die.

He did the same thing to the Stamps. The guy may be a very good football coach but he could run off & leave the Riders in a heartbeat if another team or league comes calling. The man is all in it for himself which I understand & don't begrudge him for being that way but I don't know if he'd be the guy I'd have rebuilding my team just because of his wandering ways, let's call it. I just don't know if he'll be around to finish the job he started. 

Rider fans all over themselves today, some mocking the Eskimos. Real classy. They forget Ed Hervey could have said NO!

Lots of mutual jerking off and ignoring the fact Jones just did to EDM what Austin supposedly did to to Riders and is still condemned to this day for it by many Priders. The fine tradition of hypocrisy will never die.

As usual, you are here with your troll pot shots at the Riders. Do you ever comment about anything else? Its actually flattering that you are a Tigercat fan and all you ever post about is the Riders. Austin will leave the Cats hanging in a second if something better comes up. I was mad when Austin left but we have a cup to show for the year he was here. That's sports, its about winning. I don't care if Jones leaves in a year or two, we are a better team today than we were yesterday, and that's what matters and that's what's bugging you isn't it?

As usual, you are here with your troll pot shots at the Riders. Do you ever comment about anything else? Its actually flattering that you are a Tigercat fan and all you ever post about is the Riders. Austin will leave the Cats hanging in a second if something better comes up. I was mad when Austin left but we have a cup to show for the year he was here. That's sports, its about winning. I don't care if Jones leaves in a year or two, we are a better team today than we were yesterday, and that's what matters and that's what's bugging you isn't it?

You wouldn't be happy if Jones left after a year or so. Especially if the Riders were winning. 

He did the same thing to the Stamps

did what? put his own needs ahead of a pro sports franchise privately owned by some wealthy individual?

gasp!

The idea of loyalty to a team is out of date.  It was a sucker play that owners used, when the players were basically indentured serfs. It also cons fans into supporting teams that are endlessly bad

say... Minnesota Twins.

The teams don't care about their employees. Players get fired at the drop of a hat. so do coaches. Lots of teams don't give a crap about the fans either. Just a vehicle for making money.

What does the Dallas Cowboys team give their fans? most valueable sports franchise in North America. Thanks suckers!

In general, the idea of employee loyalty is really a relic of better days, when you actually could have one job for your entire life with the same employer.

These days,  employees, in any field, would be stupid to be loyal to anything other than their own well being, financial and otherwise.

You wouldn't be happy if Jones left after a year or so. Especially if the Riders were winning. 

Probably not, BUT we know what we are getting into. When you hire a guy like Austin or Jones, you know dam well they aren't going to be there long. Hard ass guys like Jones have a short shelf life. Personally I was kind of hoping we would hire Murphy, but I give full credit to Reynolds for going out and trying to get the best man he could to make our team better. As far as mocking the Esk fans, some are doing it and yes its not in very good taste. I won't defend that and also don't plan on participating in it either. But just read posts on this forum or any other and you'll clearly see fans of every team do it.

did what? put his own needs ahead of a pro sports franchise privately owned by some wealthy individual?

gasp!

The idea of loyalty to a team is out of date.  It was a sucker play that owners used, when the players were basically indentured serfs. It also cons fans into supporting teams that are endlessly bad

say... Minnesota Twins.

The teams don't care about their employees. Players get fired at the drop of a hat. so do coaches. Lots of teams don't give a crap about the fans either. Just a vehicle for making money.

In general, the idea of employee loyalty is really a relic of better days, when you actually could have one job for your entire life with the same employer.

These days,  employees, in any field, would be stupid to be loyal to anything other than their own well being, financial and otherwise.

Jones was under contract to the Stamps. While under contract he called Scott Millanovich & said, "Buddy, congrats on the Argo gig. I want to join your staff just like we talked about when we were assistants in Montreal. Remember when we promised each other that the first one to become a head coach would hire the other one?" Milanovich knew he was under contract to the Stamps but went ahead & said, "You're my new Defensive Coordinator." Then Jones walked into John Hufnagel's office & said buh bye to a stunned Hufnagel who thought he was his DC & still a Stampeder assistant.

The Argos never asked for permission to speak to Jones as he was already gone to Toronto so what was Hufnagel to do? He could have been cutthroat refusing Jones the right to go to Toronto but he didn't. He released Jones from his contractual obligations to the Stamps. Maybe he really should have played hardball with Jones but he didn't. And for breaking his contract deliberately, the Argos were fined a measely five grand by the CFL which is an absolute joke.

So, there's looking out for oneself & still having  integrity doing it. Then there's just being a jerk & a backstabber to get ahead. I wish Jones all the best rebuilding that sad sack team in Saskatchewan. That is, if he sticks around or quits. So, please don't talk to me about getting ahead & looking out for himself when he was under contract to the Stampeders. Jones now has the Big Chair that he coveted. Now the pressure begins to build the Riders into playoff contenders & GC champs while dealing with a rabid fanbase that EXPECTS a winner. We'll see if he does it. I'm not convinced. 

Bombers winning is the only thing in the world I want more than to see Jones flame out in Riderville and watch the carnage of Jones vs Media/"Fans".....

Jones and the media here are not going to get along I don't think. Much like Chamblin, we'll put up with it as long as they win. If and when the struggling starts Jones will get run out of town without doubt. Its easy to hate a guy like Jones because he is so cocky. Going to be a wild ride through this winter and next year. I'm looking forward to it.

I don't think we will see as many Esk jump ship to Riders as everyone is saying. They are not just going to up and leave the best team in the league to go to the worst. Only way is if they get dramatic pay increases even then will only be able to afford a few. If anything it will be the fringe players who jump ship.

I disagree with your definition of trolling... this is a BOMBER FAN FORUM... "pot shots" at the Riders are not only accepted, they are basically encouraged... if he went over to RiderFans and did this... then sure...

With the long list of free agents that the Esks have, I would expect Jones to lure many over to Regina. I would not be surprised in the slightest to see the Riders finish ahead of them in the standings next season. 

The Eskimos are in for a nightmare off season. All or most of Jones assistants will move to Regina & you can bet a lot of FA from the Eskimos will follow. Wow, I think it's going to get ugly between the 2 teams. 

I disagree with your definition of trolling... this is a BOMBER FAN FORUM... "pot shots" at the Riders are not only accepted, they are basically encouraged... if he went over to RiderFans and did this... then sure...

Yeah, since when have Rider fans liked us??? A good day is a day when the Riders lose. ;)

With the long list of free agents that the Esks have, I would expect Jones to lure many over to Regina. I would not be surprised in the slightest to see the Riders finish ahead of them in the standings next season. 

The Eskimos are in for a nightmare off season. All or most of Jones assistants will move to Regina & you can bet a lot of FA from the Eskimos will follow. Wow, I think it's going to get ugly between the 2 teams. 

Its always been ugly between the two teams, Hugh Campbell, Lancaster. This is nothing new. But it may go to the next level now.

gasp!

say... Minnesota Twins.

What does the Dallas Cowboys team give their fans? most valueable sports franchise in North America. Thanks suckers!

I agree with respect to the players who don't have guaranteed contracts but coaches do.  Jones is a mercenary which I can't exactly argue with as he's looking out for himself and his family.  But he does have a history of doing this.   The Stamps thing was truly classless as he'd already committed to Huf for the next season and then turned and left for a lateral move.  

Not right. 

Riders fans loved Chamblin's cockiness and aloofness with media too....at first.

You are correct. Speaking of cocky, is Kent still a savior in Hamilton?   At the cap and a ton of free agents, pitch forks likely will be coming out soon.

Austin will be fine.  I think most of the FA's that he wants to sign will probably return.  I think he's a coach that players love to play with.   While I find him cocky too.  I think players look at it differently and admire his demeanor and fierce attitude.    

Riders fans loved Chamblin's cockiness and aloofness with media too....at first.

You are correct. Speaking of cocky, is Kent still a savior in Hamilton?   At the cap and a ton of free agents, pitch forks likely will be coming out soon.

Austin will be fine.  I think most of the FA's that he wants to sign will probably return.  I think he's a coach that players love to play with.   While I find him cocky too.  I think players look at it differently and admire his demeanor and fierce attitude.    

Agreed.  Wouldn't you say the same about Jones? He has won 4 cups, the players obviously believe in him.