Chris Jones to Saskatchewan Roughriders confirmed

blueandgoldguy

Part of me wishes we could have Chris Jones, but another part of me says, if all he's going to do is jump around from team to team then I don't want him here.  I'd rather have someone that knows how to football, and will stick around for many years.

Part of me wishes we could have Chris Jones, but another part of me says, if all he's going to do is jump around from team to team then I don't want him here. I'd rather have someone that knows how to football, and will stick around for many years.

How can you possibly predict that, though? The only guys who have stuck around in one place long are those with the GM title, which Jones would have in Sask.

Part of me wishes we could have Chris Jones, but another part of me says, if all he's going to do is jump around from team to team then I don't want him here. I'd rather have someone that knows how to football, and will stick around for many years.

How can you possibly predict that, though? The only guys who have stuck around in one place long are those with the GM title, which Jones would have in Sask.

That's true.  He just seems to be jumping around more then others, but maybe it's just because I haven't paid as much attention to the others and he's in the spotlight.

I miss Dave Ritchie.  :(

Personally, and maybe I'm in the minority, but I think a Jones to the Riders hiring would be a mistake by the Riders.

I think he is a bit of an ass hat that I would be scared to give total control too. Will Jones the GM be able to separate his ego from Jones the coach if need be? Will he bolt to another team and leave the Riders high and dry the first chance he gets? 

Don't get me wrong, I would hire Jones as my HC in a heartbeat. I would be very apprehensive about giving him the keys to the entire organization though. It could turn out great, but it could also be very bad. He could be the next Hufnagel, but he could just as easily be the next Mike Kelly.

Jones has had success wherever he has been hired.  Kelly, on the other hand, only had success with Matt Dunigan as his QB, despite his claims to the contrary.

Part of me wishes we could have Chris Jones, but another part of me says, if all he's going to do is jump around from team to team then I don't want him here.  I'd rather have someone that knows how to football, and will stick around for many years.

I'd love to have a coach that wins and gives us a legit shot at a Grey Cup even if he does leave after 2 or 3 years.

Jones recruiting has set up Edmonton nicely as a contender for at least the next couple of seasons.

At this point, I think this is getting blown out of proportion by the media. I don't think this realistically has the legs they are trying to give it. I would think the likelihood of Jones going to the Riders is slim. It would be insane for the Esks to let him go....and they don't have too.

Do the Esks hate the Riders as much as we do?

Yes, yes they do. Doesn't everyone hate the Riders?

At this point, I think this is getting blown out of proportion by the media. I don't think this realistically has the legs they are trying to give it. I would think the likelihood of Jones going to the Riders is slim. It would be insane for the Esks to let him go....and they don't have too.

This should be in the league positioning statement somewhere....F*** those guys.

This should be in the league positioning statement somewhere....F*** those guys.

I got their new marketting campaign right here.....

Not to mention, no Paul Jones or Ed Hervey or a pretty much ready made team just in need of tweaking to take over. Success has followed Jones around but he has also had the benefit of coaching under some pretty darn good football coaches/GMs. He's pretty good at picking up and going to teams on the verge of winning. Saskatchewan will be an entirely different story, That team needs a rebuild from the top down. This will truly be his first test as both a GM and taking over a team hopelessly devoid of talent.

I could see the locals in Sask turning on Jones quick if things don't go well. His attitude is basically a big **** you to all things media or reaching out and I can't see that playing well in that market. 

I think this might get pretty entertaining. Nice to watch someone else's house burning. 

Was just saying to Dave, "How much fun would it be, if all this backfired on everyone? Jones bombs in Sask (imagine Durant is perma-injured), Lapo gets hired (pleeeeease!!!) in Edm and flops, Wally in BC is a distinct possibility of flopping, and who knows if DD can handle the big headset?? Call it sour grapes if you must, but it'd do my heart good to see everyone else burning..."

Was just saying to Dave, "How much fun would it be, if all this backfired on everyone? Jones bombs in Sask (imagine Durant is perma-injured), Lapo gets hired (pleeeeease!!!) in Edm and flops, Wally in BC is a distinct possibility of flopping, and who knows if DD can handle the big headset?? Call it sour grapes if you must, but it'd do my heart good to see everyone else burning..."

Yeah, but we have the Miller-Walters-O'Shea Flaming Hoop Of Mediocrity. The other franchises may be question marks, but our missing the playoffs again is basically guaranteed.

Yeah, but we have the Miller-Walters-O'Shea Flaming Hoop Of Mediocrity. The other franchises may be question marks, but our missing the playoffs again is basically guaranteed.

The sentiment was actually "If we can't elevate ourselves let's drag everyone else down to our level"