Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

9 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Winning solves all... if they perform well on the field, all will be forgiven... Just like if Kelly had won his last game here and made the playoffs, things certainly would have gone down differently... but yes, completely agree with you...

I tend to think that Kelly's personality would have produced the same result, even if he had won more games. There is no rehab for stupidity.

1 minute ago, holoman said:

Except Jones never walked into a rebuild. 

until now of course. But this is something I think a lot of people over look. Edmonton was a few key players/coaches away from being a solid team. He didn't have to do what he needs to do now in Regina. I for one, am looking forward to him failing miserably!!

33 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Jonse's previous history of finding players, running a defence and being a head coach makes any type of comparison to Kelly pale. In a success driven profession you can dislike the guy but seriously argue about his level of success? I think not.

The list of fired GM's that were hired or promoted to a GM position because of a track record of success as a coach or scout is a long one. Having success as a coach does not automatically make one a good GM. Finding players is only one aspect of a GMs job. You must not only find them, but be able to negotiate a contract with them and retain their services. Jones is falling down big time on the latter two parts of his job description thus far. Some of that is because of the mess Taman left behind, however, he has made some spectacularly boneheaded moves this offseason thus far that are of his own doing.

I don't think anyone outside of Regina could truthfully suggest that the Riders are going to need the football gods to be favorable to them, more than any team in the league. HUGE question marks at many, many positions on their team...most importantly at QB where they have hitched their wagon to a guy whose body is breaking down.

46 minutes ago, holoman said:

Except Jones never walked into a rebuild. 

Funny, over on the Riders forum, delusion is running wild, there is some consternation whether the last game ever played at Taylor Field will be their last regular season home game or whether it will be their "home playoff date".  Apparently it's important that they say goodbye to the structure in some personal way.  I can't purge the image of thousands of farmers in ball-caps waving "bye-bye" to a dilapidated structure as they slowly walk back to their cars burbling with tears in their eyes.  You just can't make this **** up.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

On ‎2016‎-‎06‎-‎13 at 3:51 PM, Ripper said:

We haven't addressed our dline?  Capicotti, Lemon, Norwood, Newsome. Partly yes in regards to Jones, we made a change to coach to have better results and based on some history, better results are expected.

Capiciotti and Lemon are good players. Should be as productive as Chick and Hall. Hate to break it to you but Norwood won't play until October IF he ever regains form again and Newsome?? Gimme a break.

The interior of your line is still substandard, your LBs are a good unit but will take time to gel with each other, and your secondary is a hot mess right now. Jones will likely have your defence playing over it's head but realistically you have and average to below average defensive lineup. I can only think of two guys off your defence I would consider an upgrade to what we have at each position. There are a couple that are roughly equal and then the rest we have much better personnel at.

3 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Funny, over on the Riders forum, delusion is running wild, there is some consternation whether the last game ever played at Taylor Field will be their last regular season home game or whether it will be their "home playoff date".  Apparently it's important that they say goodbye to the structure in some personal way.  I can't purge the image of thousands of farmers in farmer ball-caps waving "bye-bye" to a dilapidated structure as they slowly walk back to their cars burbling with tears in their eyes.  You just can't make this **** up.

I'm no Riders fan but I'll be sorry to see old Taylor field go. Though in truth what I liked about it is already gone and has been for a long time.  Modest fans, grassy knoll in the end zone that they sold tickets for, house across the street where they sat on the roof and watched, black and white broadcast at night because the lights weren't strong enough. I'm sure there's lots more folksy stories too.

29 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Funny, over on the Riders forum, delusion is running wild, there is some consternation whether the last game ever played at Taylor Field will be their last regular season home game or whether it will be their "home playoff date".  Apparently it's important that they say goodbye to the structure in some personal way.  I can't purge the image of thousands of farmers in ball-caps waving "bye-bye" to a dilapidated structure as they slowly walk back to their cars burbling with tears in their eyes.  You just can't make this **** up.

It's unfortunate that the last game played at Taylor Field will likely be one of little consequence. I can't imagine they will be in the playoff hunt in the final week of the season.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

And this is wrong how? We've played in the old barn for over 100 years. Of course we want a proper goodbye.

On 6/17/2016 at 10:37 AM, AtlanticRiderFan said:

And this is wrong how? We've played in the old barn for over 100 years. Of course we want a proper goodbye.

96+ years of failure should be bulldozed and paved over toot sweet.

Edit: Bonus if the stands are full of weeping Rider fans when they do so.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

12 minutes ago, AtlanticRiderFan said:

The stadium itself isn't over 100 years old (it's still old at 80 though), it's just the location that has been used since 1910.

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I should think that all the urine stains in various parts of the stadium would qualify as "leaving a personal mark" on the structure.

10 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The last game played at Taylor Field will be the most important game in the history of the stadium. The end of a era. The memories of days gone by will be missed. Children growing up and going to games and learning about the game we love. My dad died yesterday morning, he was 84, and a lifelong Rider fan. I remember him taking me to the games in the early 70's. I didn't understand what the Riders were about then but knew it must be a big deal as he would get so mad when we would lose. I'm pretty sure he thought the CFL should have folded when Lancaster retired. He was mad to his last day that we changed our uniforms from the originals. That is what pride is, that is what tradition is, fathers and sons passing the torch of fandom. I take my kids to Taylor field now and embrace every second of it. You either get that man or you don't. I don't think I could explain it any better. Fans of another team have no reason to care about rivals stadiums, but those fans should understand why said stadium means the world to those fans. We'll make new memories in the new stadium, some good, and some bad, it will just take time till it feels like home.

Just now, Ripper said:

The last game played at Taylor Field will be the most important game in the history of the stadium. The end of a era. The memories of days gone by will be missed. Children growing up and going to games and learning about the game we love. My dad died yesterday morning, he was 84, and a lifelong Rider fan. I remember him taking me to the games in the early 70's. I didn't understand what the Riders were about then but knew it must be a big deal as he would get so mad when we would lose. I'm pretty sure he thought the CFL should have folded when Lancaster retired. He was mad to his last day that we changed our uniforms from the originals. That is what pride is, that is what tradition is, fathers and sons passing the torch of fandom. I take my kids to Taylor field now and embrace every second of it. You either get that man or you don't. I don't think I could explain it any better. Fans of another team have no reason to care about rivals stadiums, but those fans should understand why said stadium means the world to those fans. We'll make new memories in the new stadium, some good, and some bad, it will just take time till it feels like home.

No worries mate.  I might not like the Riders but most of us here get the idea of tradition.  You have yours, we have ours.  ANd sorry to hear about your dad.  May light perpetual shine about him.

12 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Jonse's previous history of finding players, running a defence and being a head coach makes any type of comparison to Kelly pale. In a success driven profession you can dislike the guy but seriously argue about his level of success? I think not.

So coach of the year awards and leading a school to an undefeated record and championship in the NCAA are not success huh.. sure it wasnt divison 1 but really tho. His time here was not a great example of what hes capable of.