Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

17 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Taylor Field opened in 1936. It is 2016. That's 80 years, not 100. Seriously that's grade two level adding and subtracting. What do they teach in Saskatchewan.

"It has been the home of the Canadian Football League's Saskatchewan Roughriders in rudimentary form since 1910 and as a complete stadium since 1936"

The field itself is over 100 years old (106 years to be exact). My math is perfectly fine.

Edited by AtlanticRiderFan

16 hours ago, Ripper said:

The last game played at Taylor Field will be the most important game in the history of the stadium. The end of a era. The memories of days gone by will be missed. Children growing up and going to games and learning about the game we love. My dad died yesterday morning, he was 84, and a lifelong Rider fan. I remember him taking me to the games in the early 70's. I didn't understand what the Riders were about then but knew it must be a big deal as he would get so mad when we would lose. I'm pretty sure he thought the CFL should have folded when Lancaster retired. He was mad to his last day that we changed our uniforms from the originals. That is what pride is, that is what tradition is, fathers and sons passing the torch of fandom. I take my kids to Taylor field now and embrace every second of it. You either get that man or you don't. I don't think I could explain it any better. Fans of another team have no reason to care about rivals stadiums, but those fans should understand why said stadium means the world to those fans. We'll make new memories in the new stadium, some good, and some bad, it will just take time till it feels like home.

In my opinion, what makes any thing or place great is all the history attached to it. Any new place will be nicer, more convenient in many ways, but it will devoid of any emotional attachment until there are memorable events occurring there, and that takes lots of time. For your sake, Ripper and those of the other Rider fans, I hope that your team doesn't stink the joint out when they begin to play there.

Be honest with you, when the Bombers moved to IGF I was glad. Glad they tore Canad Inns down. It was old & about 20 years past its Best Due Date. My son played for the Rifles in 2009 & 10. Underneath the west grandstand there was an auxilliary dressing room deep in the bowels of the place. It was dark, wet, dank, dirty & mouldy. The Rifle players should never have been allowed in that locker room as I'm sure they were breathing in toxins & carcinogens. I went in there a couple of times & my impression that Canad Inns was this stadium with great memories sure faded pretty fast.

Edited by iso_55

2 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Riders raid BC PR for CDNs. **** move.

Not unexpected. They literally have zero NAT depth. Wally will retaliate when the time is right. Riders will lose a good prospect or two in the future because of this. Dangerous game to play.

44 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

They both declined their practice roster invites and were free agents

So does this mean Wally cut them before asking if they were willing to be pr'ed, or that he didn't care if they stayed or not? 

If he really wanted to keep them, he could have put them on the 1 game ir. I'm pretty sure you only need permission to put a player on the 6 game.

11 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

I get that, but is there any reason Wally couldn't have gauged their interest before cutting them?

I'm sure he did but cut them anyway, Ese is a highly paid underachiever, and Guy has not fully recovered from a career threatening injury. PR spots are agreed to before the paperwork on releases is filed with the league as they are discussed at the time of release. If Wally really wanted to hang onto one or both of these players he had options.

I can certainly understand why he let Ese go. That was a colossally blown off the board pick re-inforced with an ludicrous contract. Think Pencer or Etienne. I can also understand why he let Dillon Guy go. Simply no room for him on the roster. He could develop into a good one, but he struggled in camp and needs developmental time. Unfortunately for the Lions, it seems he is unwilling to do it on the PR. Can't see how the Riders are going to roster these two but it sure does speak volumes about the state of their NAT depth.

I suppose that Ese can end the Reaves petrie dish experiment though, and that Guy is probably a better prospect than McKay.

I'm surprised Dillon Guy would not accept a PR spot... maybe his ego was high since he was considered a "first round talent" but obviously fell in the draft due to his injury concerns... I would have guessed he would be willing to stick around for at least one year on the PR...

On 17/06/2016 at 3:26 PM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Sorry, I should have specified Sask. farmers.  Their wheat's no good and their women are dirty.

Whoa, hang on there. We can hate the Roughies and all their cling on's but let us not denigrate the source for delicious pasta. Even Italy imports durum wheat from Sask and sells it back to us as pasta. 

1 hour ago, Fan Boy said:

Whoa, hang on there. We can hate the Roughies and all their cling on's but let us not denigrate the source for delicious pasta. Even Italy imports durum wheat from Sask and sells it back to us as pasta. 

Pshaw on their pasta, keep sliding down that road buddy and soon enough you'll find yourself with a hankering for their  women folk.

https://d9hblenkye35w.cloudfront.net/media/thumbnail/int/xl/0/66593296125853696/297502102443327488

Stop right here, cause you won't find any prettier than the reigning Miss Saskatchewan.

20 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Pshaw on their pasta, keep sliding down that road buddy and soon enough you'll find yourself with a hankering for their  women folk.

https://d9hblenkye35w.cloudfront.net/media/thumbnail/int/xl/0/66593296125853696/297502102443327488

Stop right here, cause you won't find any prettier than the reigning Miss Saskatchewan.

I think I'm in love......

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 8:14 PM, iso_55 said:

Ripper, my condolences to you on the passing of your Dad. You have some great memories of him being at Rider games with you which you'll never forget. The hurt will get less & less as time goes on. It's great that you'll be passing on your passion for the Riders to your kids. Stay strong, Ripper.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Been a rough week but life goes on. Its hardest on the kids as they don't understand. But anyways back to football and mud slinging