Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

11 hours ago, Noeller said:

My Facebook timeline is filled with Rider fans screaming bloody murder at Jones for cutting their beloveds......

Rider fans should be screaming bloody murder at Taman for the completely idiotic contracts he gave those two. That being said, they would have went elsewhere likely otherwise. They were still being overpaid, though.

12 hours ago, Ripper said:

Nobody is a bigger Chick fan than me. He is a warrior. He is going to get 175-180 and that's it. He has one maybe two years left. He is a fool to leave here where he was set up for life after football

We hear comments like this so often, I'm wondering how exactly the Riders are going to find room in their front office for the hundreds of retired players they've apparently promised a lifetime gig to.

Or maybe you mean he'll be able to live off a lifetime supply of paninis from Regina Tim Hortons?

2 hours ago, Duressler47 said:

Rider fans should be screaming bloody murder at Taman for the completely idiotic contracts he gave those two. That being said, they would have went elsewhere likely otherwise. They were still being overpaid, though.

Bet you weren't so down on Taman giving out those contracts at the time though. This is why everyone mocks Rider fans, biggest hypocrites going. Taman signs Chick and Dressler "AMAZING!" New GM cuts them "Wow Taman you dolt, why give out such big contracts?"

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Bet you weren't so down on Taman giving out those contracts at the time though. This is why everyone mocks Rider fans, biggest hypocrites going. Taman signs Chick and Dressler "AMAZING!" New GM cuts them "Wow Taman you dolt, why give out such big contracts?"

So much this. Find me one Rider fan whining and complaining when the press releases came out that these guys were signed.

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

There is this type of fan for every team.

13 hours ago, Ripper said:

Nobody is a bigger Chick fan than me. He is a warrior. He is going to get 175-180 and that's it. He has one maybe two years left. He is a fool to leave here where he was set up for life after football

You Rider fans are really in your own world sometimes. Why do you guys think that a football player can only set up for life after football if they play in Regina? You guys give no player any more ability to be successful after their career than many other CFL cities. Just a big fat myth you guys perpetuate in order to justify your beliefs that Regina is the ultimate destination in the CFL.

56 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I think he might have some things going on in regina beyond the gridiron after 6 years playing there, but why would he suddenly not be entitled to return after a year or 2 playing elsewhere? Is he suddenly loathed and/or outcasted by the people of regina?

He is the best in the CFL, the heart and soul of the CFL and worth every penny while he is a Rider, once he stopped being a Rider he is overpaid, old, on the decline, and a turncoat for not accepting a massive pay cut.  John Chick? Nope....every Rider player ever released.

Edited by gcn11

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

I wasn't, because I had no idea they were being paid that much. I thought Dressler was only making around 200K, not 240K.

I'm not even sure that any of us knew about their contracts. 

Apparently, to the Rider fans, just returning to the Riders should be enough of a benefit. What did they expect? These guys, having returned from NFL tryouts, were going to be paid big dollars, and they were. No surprise. The Riders went all in again last year and that wasn't sustainable.

Edited by Mr Dee

5 hours ago, NBRiderfan said:

Consider the circumstances at the time, Taman was under enormous pressure to resign Dressler upon his return from the NFL.  The entire province was in a frenzy during those negotiations and Taman was already in cap hell from retaining other veterans. 

Enter Ottawa, with no cap issues and a demented GM they made Dressler a salary offer that Taman could not possibly match.  Taman made a deal with Dressler to sign for less in 2014 but with payments and bonuses deferred to the following years that worked in both of their interests and got Dressler to sign on the dotted line.  Sask. rejoiced, merchandise sales spiked and accolades poured out from stubbled fields upon the lovable Brendan,  

If not for Durant's injuries in 2014 and 2015 which wiped out both seasons, there is a good chance both Taman and Dressler are still employed by the Riders today.

39 minutes ago, NBRiderfan said:

I wasn't, because I had no idea they were being paid that much. I thought Dressler was only making around 200K, not 240K.

I'm not even sure that any of us knew about their contracts. 

does that 40k make a difference? We knew Dressler was being paid a crap load of money because everyone tried to sign him and there was a very tight bidding war to sign him. Just the typical rider fan attitude, you stop wearing the green you're over paid or not that good blah blah blah. 

4 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Consider the circumstances at the time, Taman was under enormous pressure to resign Dressler upon his return from the NFL.  The entire province was in a frenzy during those negotiations and Taman was already in cap hell from retaining other veterans. 

Enter Ottawa, with no cap issues and a demented GM they made Dressler a salary offer that Taman could not possibly match.  Taman made a deal with Dressler to sign for less in 2014 but with payments and bonuses deferred to the following years that worked in both of their interests and got Dressler to sign on the dotted line.  Sask. rejoiced, merchandise sales spiked and accolades poured out from stubbled fields upon the lovable Brendan,  

If not for Durant's injuries in 2014 and 2015 which wiped out both seasons, there is a good chance both Taman and Dressler are still employed by the Riders today.

without a doubt Durant's injuries hampered their seasons, but Taman was starting to do Taman-esque things again, like trading draft picks away, the cory watson deal comes to mind.  a lot of people were starting to question the things he was doing before the roof caved in

26 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

without a doubt Durant's injuries hampered their seasons, but Taman was starting to do Taman-esque things again, like trading draft picks away, the cory watson deal comes to mind.  a lot of people were starting to question the things he was doing before the roof caved in

No doubt poor management and lots of gaffs but in both of those years Durant keeps them ahead of the Bombers and BC and gives them a reasonable chance of success in the playoffs.  Suddenly I'm feeling queassyyy.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Durant could be history in Regina IF he is not prepared to take a significant salary hit....Jones is a guy that doesn't fool around (witness the deletion of household names Dressler and Chick)...Durant is an ageing qb. with injury problems and I think the writing is on the wall...Play for less or play somewhere else would be a Jones take on Darian...I don't know how much cap space the riders have but  I see them making a play for argo qb. Harris...The Tennessee gambler is going all in.