MOS: list strengths & weaknesses, good & bad

BigBlue

The clean cut look really seems to be working for the Maple Leafs that their GM "recommends" hasn't it.

Some sports mandate what the coaches wear. Football and baseball are pretty lax. The NFL has sponsorship deals with companies like Nike and Reebok. I'm not sure about the CFL. 

Well, off the top of my head ...

As a Head Coach:

- His appearance. Dress like a professional and don't be too lazy to shave

The Roster:

- His terrible roster and personnel decisions. How is it we release a linebacker and he gets picked up to a practice roster in the NFL?

I only want to comment on two...

First one... you're ageing yourself with this comment about shaving... I can just imagine when you see Waggonner, Newman or Shell... "get a haircut you hippies!"

Second one... don't you think there might be a correlation between us releasing a player and him signing on an NFL squad?

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the scruffy, unkempt look for sure but I don't hold the players to the same standard as the coach. Hate the dreds on Stoudermire! Hated them on Suber too when he was here. But I do believe your head coach represents your team. I like the Tom Landry clean-cut look. If my coach looks like he cares about his appearance then that is likely to rub off on the players. If my coach is prepared that also tends to rub off on the players. If the coach looks like a disheveled bum, well ...

Tell me more about the "second one".

If we release a player, and he gets picked up by an NFL squad. Chances are we released him so he could get picked up by an NFL squad. As in, he was aware (or his agent at least) of the NFL as a possibility, so asked if he could go and try to catch on. Being the NFL, the salary alone makes it worth the shot. And if we say no, that's a huge Dbag move to make and likely something that other players will hear about and remember.

I see. Thanks for that. So that's likely to be what happened then?

Well, off the top of my head ...

As a Head Coach:

- His appearance. Dress like a professional and don't be too lazy to shave

The Roster:

- His terrible roster and personnel decisions. How is it we release a linebacker and he gets picked up to a practice roster in the NFL?

I only want to comment on two...

First one... you're ageing yourself with this comment about shaving... I can just imagine when you see Waggonner, Newman or Shell... "get a haircut you hippies!"

Second one... don't you think there might be a correlation between us releasing a player and him signing on an NFL squad?

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the scruffy, unkempt look for sure but I don't hold the players to the same standard as the coach. Hate the dreds on Stoudermire! Hated them on Suber too when he was here. But I do believe your head coach represents your team. I like the Tom Landry clean-cut look. If my coach looks like he cares about his appearance then that is likely to rub off on the players. If my coach is prepared that also tends to rub off on the players. If the coach looks like a disheveled bum, well ...

Tell me more about the "second one".

If we release a player, and he gets picked up by an NFL squad. Chances are we released him so he could get picked up by an NFL squad. As in, he was aware (or his agent at least) of the NFL as a possibility, so asked if he could go and try to catch on. Being the NFL, the salary alone makes it worth the shot. And if we say no, that's a huge Dbag move to make and likely something that other players will hear about and remember.

I see. Thanks for that. So that's likely to be what happened then?

Chances are yes. Though there can be an arguement for a player just not being right for the CFL, but fitting in well for an NFL system. Different skill sets etc etc. But I'm willing to bet that he knew a team was interested and wanted to take a shot.

I like how aggressive he has become on ST. And I'm hoping that carries on next year on the other teams. I'm not sure I've seen a team try as many fakes as we have on ST in such a short amount of time. And it's hard to notice positives when he's doing them, cause chances are you won't notice. Also doesn't help that we are a horrible team.

What if we did it this way?

Please list the Head Coach's strengths and weaknesses in the following categories.

Game Preparation

Game Knowledge

Team Practices

Roster Management

Assistant Coaches Selection

Player Coaching and Development

Morale

In-Game Decision Making

Xs and Os

Offense

Defense

Special Teams

Media Relations

We've been through all of this before in a multitude of posts

The " multitude of posts", i.e. the belching of emotion is a complete disorganization and hardly the basis for making a sound judgment. Soundness is needed to either make or support a decision (or to sanely oppose a bad decision). Your comment reflects the lack of real work.... and as Henry Ford has famously said, because work is hard, few do it.
Lack of real work? You have got to be kidding! This is an internet forum! Your post is useless!

Disagree

Weaknesses of O'Shea: He doesnt play quarterback, running back, offensive line, defensive line, defensive back, receiver, or kicker. Oh, sorry, I guess that means our players also bear SOME responsibility for our poor play... (insert smilee face here).

Personally, I like oshea, at times he has made poor decisions, but I fear us firing him and getting somebody a lot less competent...

Less competent than 8th in a 9 team league two years in a row? Less competent than less wins in year 2 than in year 1? Less competent than no winning streaks (2 or more in a row) at all this year, in fact none since last July? Less competent than not beating any of the 5 teams who've made the playoffs this year? Who would hire a HC like that?

I'm sure someone is going to post a list of MOS's strengths soon. There has to be more than "The players like him".

If someone listed his strengths would you actually listen to them though? Or would you just ignore them completely and insist that because he doesn't shave every morning that he's really a terrible coach? You have made up your mind and nothing is going to change it. 

What if we did it this way?

Please list the Head Coach's strengths and weaknesses in the following categories.

Game Preparation - doesn't seem very good

Game Knowledge - can't possibly know

Team Practices - some "experts" here claim he doesn't run a pro practice... of course they know how a pro practice is run...

Roster Management - seemingly poor

Assistant Coaches Selection - poor... though we don't know his limitations (ex. Walters/Miller input, budget, availability)

Player Coaching and Development - don't know

Morale - probably good... don't really know though

In-Game Decision Making - not too bad

Xs and Os - don't know

Offense - don't know

Defense - should be good

Special Teams - good

Media Relations - not very good

The problem with this list is we realistically don't know the answer to a lot of them.... sure we can guess... but it likely won't be accurate...

Well, one of the criteria is what does the coach do....with what he has.   This current roster and the talent on it, have to be considered, as well. (Walters)

This is the biggest thing to me. Our receivers aren't good enough, we can't seem to find an impact player on the opposite side of Westerman on the DL, the OL has been changing players constantly for the entire time Walters has been here. We've had a bunch of good rbs but none that have really grabbed the job by the balls and taken it. For my money this roster just flat out isn't good enough to start blaming the coach. 

Well, one of the criteria is what does the coach do....with what he has.   This current roster and the talent on it, have to be considered, as well. (Walters)

This is the biggest thing to me. Our receivers aren't good enough, we can't seem to find an impact player on the opposite side of Westerman on the DL, the OL has been changing players constantly for the entire time Walters has been here. We've had a bunch of good rbs but none that have really grabbed the job by the balls and taken it. For my money this roster just flat out isn't good enough to start blaming the coach. 

I would reserve judgement on the running back situation as our running game, in general, is a complete mess.   Blocking, inconsistent use and a mediocre passing game have all worked against the guys in the backfield.  My one thought is that Marshall has been criminally underused this season - both catching and running the ball - and the near constant rotation of backs during the game does nothing to help establish a rhythm there.