MOS: list strengths & weaknesses, good & bad

BigBlue

There is a lot of controversy surrounding O' Shea but lets get clinical about him, do a balance sheet so to speak:

What has he done right, what has he done wrong?

Where has he failed? What are his coaching triumphs?

What does he need to change/improve?

What kind of a leader is he?

What kind of potential does he hold?

YOUR LIST of PLUSes & MINUSes please:

There is a lot of controversy surrounding O' Shea but lets get clinical about him, do a balance sheet so to speak:

What has he done right, what has he done wrong?

Where has he failed? What are his coaching triumphs?

What does he need to change/improve?

What kind of a leader is he?

What kind of potential does he hold?

YOUR LIST of PLUSes & MINUSes please:

I'm not sure the lists people will make will hold much water. Considering we don't really know what has been his decision or not, except for a few choices during the games.

I'll take a shot though.

Wrong - Surrounding himself with losers. Literally - MB and Etch aren't winners and picking them (assuming he did) and now keeping one (assuming it was his choice) have been huge mistakes.

Right - I like what he has shown in the last couple of weeks. His ST scheme has been working much better. And I personally like the way he handles the media.

I think he could have a bright future as a HC, in WPG? Maybe, but I think he will succeed in the future due to the fact players like playing for him.

Well, off the top of my head ...

As a Head Coach:

- His arrogance and now infamous "smirk"

- His appearance. Dress like a professional and don't be too lazy to shave

- His lack of personal and player accountability

- How he can ignore poor line play on both sides of the ball, week in - week out

- His tolerance for sloppy tackling

- His tolerance for penalties -- No end. Improperly lined up. Players taking a 15 yd no yards because they can't judge 5 yds

- His lazy, sloppy practices

In-game Decisions:

- Not being awake and calling a timeout resulting in a time-count violation, loss of down, and hence no chance to kick the winning field goal

- How he should have given up 2 pts (a safety) in our end zone

- How, after Willy went down, he could have put in a running QB but instead went with Brohm and then insisted on playing Brohm after he stunk the joint out

- Opting for a kick-off return after a FG, in poor conditions, instead of taking it on the 35 resulting in us with the ball on our 20 instead of the 35. This after their special teams had been blanketing us the entire game

- Icing his own kicker

His Assistants:

- His poor choices in assistants. His stubbornness in sticking with Bellefeille, Tracey, and Etcheverry before that

The Roster:

- His terrible roster and personnel decisions. How is it we release a linebacker and he gets picked up to a practice roster in the NFL?

- His willingness to stick with players with known injury issues

- His willingness to go with rejects from other CFL teams, which he uses to fill out his roster

- Far too many lost opportunities in picking good players up and too many opportunities lost on evaluating players

- Putting Hurl in as a middle linebacker. A player that hurts us every single game. I know the ratio comes into this, but your middle linebacker needs to be your best defensive player IMO. 

The Offense:

- Such a pathetic offensive scheme game after game after game. NO imagination in the run game except for the occasional QB draw. No flare passes, screens. No attempt to get the skill guys into the open field, not run right up the middle into a brick wall

Special Teams:

- The terrible special teams gaffs and blunders, especially early on

The Media:

- The way he handles the media, especially those that ask tough questions, with a mean-spirited growl and a "I have to look at the film" response.

- How he answers criticisms by saying "I thought our players played rather well (held them to under two hundred yards on the ground)"

I agree....simply a rehash of the rehash. We are just left to await the fate of all those that a higher being is going to be left to decide. Might not be a smarter person or group so hold your breath...or don't hold your breath depending on what side of the coin you happen to be calling.

As a Head Coach:

- How he can ignore poor line play on both sides of the ball, week in - week out

- His tolerance for penalties -- No end. Improperly lined up. Players taking a 15 yd no yards because they can't judge 5 yds

In-game Decisions:

- Not being awake and calling a timeout resulting in a time-count violation, loss of down, and hence no chance to kick the winning field goal

- How, after Willy went down, he could have put in a running QB but instead went with Brohm and then insisted on playing Brohm after he stunk the joint out

- Opting for a kick-off return after a FG, in poor conditions, instead of taking it on the 35 resulting in us with the ball on our 20 instead of the 35. This after their special teams had been blanketing us the entire game

- Icing his own kicker

His Assistants:

- His poor choices in assistants. His stubbornness in sticking with Bellefeille, Tracey, and Etcheverry before that

The Roster:

- His terrible roster and personnel decisions. How is it we release a linebacker and he gets picked up to a practice roster in the NFL?

- His willingness to go with rejects from other CFL teams, which he uses to fill out his roster

- Far too many lost opportunities in picking good players up and too many opportunities lost on evaluating players

- Putting Hurl in as a middle linebacker. A player that hurts us every single game. I know the ratio comes into this, but your middle linebacker needs to be your best defensive player IMO. 

The Offense:

- Such a pathetic offensive scheme game after game after game. NO imagination in the run game except for the occasional QB draw. No flare passes, screens. No attempt to get the skill guys into the open field, not run right up the middle into a brick wall

Special Teams:

The Media:

- The way he handles the media, especially those that ask tough questions, with a mean-spirited growl and a "I have to look at the film" response.

- How he answers criticisms by saying "I thought our players played rather well (held them to under two hundred yards on the ground)"

Know you probably forgot....but couldn't find your list of strengths, here

;)

We've been through all of this before in a multitude of posts

The " multitude of posts", i.e. the belching of emotion is a complete disorganization and hardly the basis for making a sound judgment. Soundness is needed to either make or support a decision (or to sanely oppose a bad decision). Your comment reflects the lack of real work.... and as Henry Ford has famously said, because work is hard, few do it.

A fan forum where we complain about the facial hair of our head coach.

No wonder I can't be bothered anymore.

I know. My wife nags me about it so I was just lashing out. I'm so ashamed.  ^_^

As a Head Coach:

The Roster:

I only want to comment on two...

First one... you're ageing yourself with this comment about shaving... I can just imagine when you see Waggonner, Newman or Shell... "get a haircut you hippies!"

Second one... don't you think there might be a correlation between us releasing a player and him signing on an NFL squad?

We've been through all of this before in a multitude of posts

The " multitude of posts", i.e. the belching of emotion is a complete disorganization and hardly the basis for making a sound judgment. Soundness is needed to either make or support a decision (or to sanely oppose a bad decision). Your comment reflects the lack of real work.... and as Henry Ford has famously said, because work is hard, few do it.

Lack of real work? You have got to be kidding! This is an internet forum! Your post is useless!

As a Head Coach:

In-game Decisions:

- Icing his own kicker

His Assistants:

The Roster:

The Offense:

Special Teams:

The Media:

Know you probably forgot....but couldn't find your list of strengths, here

;)

Unfortunately, when it comes to MOS I struggle to think of strengths. Let me try ...

Special Teams:

- Since firing Tracey the STs have definitely improved 

Coaching:

- He does his best not to humiliate his players in front of the media, fans, or the other players

Umm ... someone help me out here ...

Ummmm ...

As a Head Coach:

The Roster:

First one... you're ageing yourself with this comment about shaving... I can just imagine when you see Waggonner, Newman or Shell... "get a haircut you hippies!"

Second one... don't you think there might be a correlation between us releasing a player and him signing on an NFL squad?

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the scruffy, unkempt look for sure but I don't hold the players to the same standard as the coach. Hate the dreds on Stoudermire! Hated them on Suber too when he was here. But I do believe your head coach represents your team. I like the Tom Landry clean-cut look. If my coach looks like he cares about his appearance then that is likely to rub off on the players. If my coach is prepared that also tends to rub off on the players. If the coach looks like a disheveled bum, well ...

Tell me more about the "second one".

As a Head Coach:

The Roster:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the scruffy, unkempt look for sure but I don't hold the players to the same standard as the coach. Hate the dreds on Stoudermire! Hated them on Suber too when he was here. But I do believe your head coach represents your team. I like the Tom Landry clean-cut look. If my coach looks like he cares about his appearance then that is likely to rub off on the players. If my coach is prepared that also tends to rub off on the players. If the coach looks like a disheveled bum, well ...

Tell me more about the "second one".

If we release a player, and he gets picked up by an NFL squad. Chances are we released him so he could get picked up by an NFL squad. As in, he was aware (or his agent at least) of the NFL as a possibility, so asked if he could go and try to catch on. Being the NFL, the salary alone makes it worth the shot. And if we say no, that's a huge Dbag move to make and likely something that other players will hear about and remember.