Bombers vs RedBlacks (and Jovon's chirp)

Westy Sucks

I have little faith that the Bombers will actually put 60 minutes of solid football together and that's what it's going to take to keep this from being anything but a blowout.

(Moan) The faithful cannot stomach another blowout, and one at the hands of the RedBlacks would be devastating. If we get butt-kicked tonight, we might as well concede the remaining games and call it a season.

No reason that the Bombers shouldn't beat Ottawa tonight. Burris can win the game all by himself if given enough time to plant his feet and look downfield, so getting pressure on him, particularly in the first half. The Bomber defence and offense have to get untracked early in the game. If they wait until halftime to adjust to Burris and Co., the RedBlacks could so far ahead that the sluggish offense will have no hope of catching them.

Bombers have to keep it a low-scoring game.

I agree.... special teams has been decent, defence decent, if Offence could be half decent, we can win. also maybe hank will have a bad game. too.

Can't wait to see Jovon doing the disappointed hand clap he made famous in his later days here following huge gainers on him.

The one he learned from Dave Donaldson......

That disappointed clap  has really caught on! NFL guys are doing it now as well!

I would say it's easier to build a roster from nothing than deal with someone else's mess

Exactly. i would even say the Redblacks Canadian content was ahead of ours after the draft, which is embarrassing.

I cannot concede that starting a team from scratch is an easier task than taking over an existing but gibbled one. We are here because we haven't been as good in signing imports and free agents and also because of some very questionable coaching. We simply haven't done our homework as well as most of the other teams in the CFL, and that has to change.

Quite comical the post made 2-3 weeks ago (you know who you are) that actually stated there wasn't much difference between Nichols and Willy, not that tonight was needed as any proof to the contrary...

So you think you've now proven a point based on 1-2 games? lol. Nichols hadn't thrown an interception in his previous 4 games, prior to last night. Sure he had a bad game last night. Willy has never had a bad game?

In his post game interview, Nichols said they prepared the entire week for Ottawa to play man defense, because that's what Ottawa has done all year. Instead Ottawa came out playing zone. It took Marcel an entire first half to adjust to that. Wow.

I still think Nichols is starter material in this league with a competent OC. Marcel handcuffs the entire team. Willy has lots of warts too; he isn't some proven, elite stud QB just yet.

Quite comical the post made 2-3 weeks ago (you know who you are) that actually stated there wasn't much difference between Nichols and Willy, not that tonight was needed as any proof to the contrary...

Funny how when I've done this to another member before, moderators, and some other members lecture me about how inappropriate it is, and how I need to be more mature etc.  Funny how the ones doing most of the lecturing on this site are really the most messed up. 

So you think you've now proven a point based on 1-2 games? lol. Nichols hadn't thrown an interception in his previous 4 games, prior to last night. Sure he had a bad game last night. Willy has never had a bad game?

In his post game interview, Nichols said they prepared the entire week for Ottawa to play man defense, because that's what Ottawa has done all year. Instead Ottawa came out playing zone. It took Marcel an entire first half to adjust to that. Wow.

I still think Nichols is starter material in this league with a competent OC. Marcel handcuffs the entire team. Willy has lots of warts too; he isn't some proven, elite stud QB just yet.

GBILL - I'll say it again (not that you'll take heed to my comments). I'm an ESKIMO season ticket holder. I've WATCHED Nichols a lot longer than you have. I know what he's all about. I haven't / won't say anything because most people here don't listen to me anyway. All I'll say is this (again) - Mr. Nichols is far far better than any QB we have in Wpg not named Drew Willy and gives us the best chance to win. This is NOT a complement to Nichols, this is a slap in the face to the Wpg Blue Bomber organisation who haven't recruited and developed their OWN QB in 3 decades.

There's a reason why Nichols was traded in mid season to the Bombers for a 7th round pick. I still think it's a great trade for Wpg. I still think it doesn't really matter. Though secretly I was hoping he'd (Nichols) would have some success - but he's doing the same things he was doing here. He'll make good plays, he'll make good throws, and he'll also get stubborn and throw balls he shouldn't. His other weakness - he has no leadership qualities - the team here in Edmonton did not respect him at all. All you need to do is re-watch the absolute and utter destruction of the Wpg Blue Bombers here in Edmonton a few months back and the difference in the Eskimos play when Franklin came in in the second half. 

But you all have your own opinions. I have mine. Nichols is a fine backup QB for us, he won't be replacing Drew Willy, or any other starter, in the league, unless that team wants the first overall pick. 

When you look at yesterday's game as an outsider would, you would see one team, Ottawa, with an offence that moved the ball to the left side, to the right side, mixing up running and passing, and using all their players. They threw the ball short, behind the line of scrimmage, down the field short and down the field long. Again, while mixing in running the ball. this was executed by a QB who understood the game plan and had confidence in that plan.

They scored 16 points in the 1st half. It could have been more but the fiery defence refused to let them.

Compare that O with the Bombers offence and you would be hard pressed to come up with more than 2 phrases…incomplete pass and interception. And a VERY predictable offence with receivers running straight routes, and receivers never leaving the shadow of the line of scrimmage. You know, for those game winning 5 yard receptions. Cam Marshall ran 8 times for 48 yards. he probably could have run for over 100 yards, had he been used.

Yet another game where we could have easily competed if we had more than 50 yards in an entire half of football.

Putrid numbers from he offence once again, called with a putrid game plan in mind.

We simply won't win playing with such an offence.

GBILL - I'll say it again (not that you'll take heed to my comments). I'm an ESKIMO season ticket holder. I've WATCHED Nichols a lot longer than you have. I know what he's all about. I haven't / won't say anything because most people here don't listen to me anyway. All I'll say is this (again) - Mr. Nichols is far far better than any QB we have in Wpg not named Drew Willy and gives us the best chance to win. This is NOT a complement to Nichols, this is a slap in the face to the Wpg Blue Bomber organisation who haven't recruited and developed their OWN QB in 3 decades.

There's a reason why Nichols was traded in mid season to the Bombers for a 7th round pick. I still think it's a great trade for Wpg. I still think it doesn't really matter. Though secretly I was hoping he'd (Nichols) would have some success - but he's doing the same things he was doing here. He'll make good plays, he'll make good throws, and he'll also get stubborn and throw balls he shouldn't. His other weakness - he has no leadership qualities - the team here in Edmonton did not respect him at all. All you need to do is re-watch the absolute and utter destruction of the Wpg Blue Bombers here in Edmonton a few months back and the difference in the Eskimos play when Franklin came in in the second half. 

But you all have your own opinions. I have mine. Nichols is a fine backup QB for us, he won't be replacing Drew Willy, or any other starter, in the league, unless that team wants the first overall pick. 

Thanks for this.  I've watched most of Nichols starts, so you being a Edmonton season ticket holder doesn't really add much, in my opinion.  There were a few factors that lead to Nichols being traded to the Bombers for a 7th rounder.  I'm not saying Nichols is some stud QB.  All I'm saying is that there isn't MUCH of a drop off between him and Willy, in terms of giving us the best chance to win. Both QBs bring different strengths and weaknesses to the table. I think people here are overrating Willy a bit, and not giving Nichols enough respect.  I'm trying to look at this objectively...what exactly has Willy accomplished to date??  Personally, I like both QBs, and I'll be getting a Willy jersey next year.  I'll be ecstatic if both are with the Bombers next year, and if so, I'd expect Willy to be the starter.  But at this point, there isn't much a drop off from Willy to Nichols IMO.  If Willy learns to get rid of the ball quicker, he could be deadly, but until that happens, that's a pretty significant flaw in his game.  Nichols has his flaws as well.