No End Call - CFL confirms it was an incorrect call

Floyd

I've been debating whether or not to post this because I'm not sure how much public scrutiny officials really deserve.  There is a reason their names aren't on the back of their jerseys.  It is a thankless job and I don't want some bozo doing something inappropriate off the field to anyone.  But there seems to be a history with one of the officials in Friday's game.

According to the official stats, this is the officiating crew from Friday night:

Referee - Tom Vallesi 

Head Linesman - Justin McInnes
Side Judge - Jocelyn Paul
Field Judge - Brian Chrupalo
Umpire - Patrick MacArthur
Line Judge - Rick Berezowski 
Back Judge - Don Carmichael

It is the Head Linesman and Line Judge who stand at either side of the line of scrimmage.  If you look at the faces of the referees in the video footage, it would appear that Rick Berezowski is the official in question, though I'm not 100% sure of that.  I couldn't find a shot that shows what number he wore.

What is more interesting is that official has been a "problem" for the CFL in the past (though that previous call was in favour of the Bombers).  This is a story from 2011.

http://www2.tsn.ca/story/?id=377334

The CFL dismissed side judge Rick Berezowski on Monday, parting ways with the ref who made the pass interference call on Montreal Alouettes rookie cornerback Greg Laybourn late in Friday's game against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Laybourn was defending in the end zone against Blue Bombers receiver Greg Carr when replays showed Carr putting his arms around Laybourn. The play drew an interference call, which easily could have been called on the offence.

CFL director of officiating Tom Higgins wrote on the CFL's website on Monday that the call was "absolutely terrible".

"The Winnipeg receiver grabbed the Montreal defender and fell to the ground in an obvious attempt to draw a [pass interference] call, and succeeded. This is not acceptable and I am dealing with the situation," wrote Higgins.

Berezowski, a native of Rosetown, Saskatchewan, worked partial seasons in the CFL for many years before he was added to the full time ranks in 2009. He worked the 2004 Vanier Cup and also officiated the Mitchell Bowl and several Canada West conference title games.

And according to this story that was written around that time in 2011, he has been on the bubble before :

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/side-judge-replaced/

The CFL source that spoke to sportsnet.ca said Higgins felt it was in the best interests of the league moving forward to remove Berezowski from officiating in any more games this year. Moreover, the source said Higgins didn't make the decision solely based on a single call.

A secondary source Berezowski was "on the bubble" for his overall performance, but emphasized that he refused to pick up the flag and change his call when advised to do by three other members of the crew.
There is no suggestion that Berezowski won't be brought back next season. This is the time of year when the CFL whittles down its roster of officials. In a column he wrote this year on the CFL's website, Higgins said each official is evaluated on every play, and that those evaluations are the key factor in deciding who receives the most work and opportunity to work in the playoffs and Grey Cup. The CFL began the season with six crews and a total of 42 officials, but that was pared down to five crews and 35 officials after Labour Day.

Note how he has refused to pick up the flag in the past, even at the suggestion of his fellow officials.

So I decided to post this because the CFL cannot continue to award and hire incompetence in their officiating.  Especially when there is a recurring history.

I've noticed Higgins doesn't have a problem throwing people under the bus when it comes to accountability, kind of refreshing.

Not sure how to embed the video here, but there is a close up on Derek Taylor's Twitter feed.  You can watch it here:

https://twitter.com/DTonSC/status/647614676319268864

You can compare the face to Rick Berezowski:

http://cflofficials.ca/official_bio.asp?member_id=5

It was said earlier it could have been Justin McInnes or Jocelyn Paul.

McInnes:  http://cflofficials.ca/official_bio.asp?member_id=84

Paul:  http://cflofficials.ca/official_bio.asp?member_id=33

Make your determinations as you wish.

I didn't imply that the league and the refs weren't at fault. I did say that Adams shouldn't have asked for confirmation before he was set and that the LJ shouldn't have given confirmation before Adams was set. After watching the replay again courtesy of a poster here I realized that Adams was indeed onside even after he moved and I said so. SPUDS then goes back and quotes a post prior to seeing the replay again and accuses me of saying the refs weren't at fault.  :rolleyes:

YOU BLAMED ADAMS! Also, I didnt quote anything out of context or even order. You said Adams was just ss much to blame.. When he wasnt. He was on side.. Asked and was shown to be good.. And STILL in correct placement after switching feet. are you seriously that adverse to be shown wrong? Does being incorrect hurt you physically or something?

Or maybe you just missed this post after he saw the video....

You quoted his older post after he saw the video and posted this:

Thanks. Looks like Adams is indeed still within a yard after the step back. That means the explanation from Johnson is wrong and the LJ must of messed up where the LOS was. Can't fix that.

I didn't imply that the league and the refs weren't at fault. I did say that Adams shouldn't have asked for confirmation before he was set and that the LJ shouldn't have given confirmation before Adams was set. After watching the replay again courtesy of a poster here I realized that Adams was indeed onside even after he moved and I said so. SPUDS then goes back and quotes a post prior to seeing the replay again and accuses me of saying the refs weren't at fault.  :rolleyes:

YOU BLAMED ADAMS! Also, I didnt quote anything out of context or even order. You said Adams was just ss much to blame.. When he wasnt. He was on side.. Asked and was shown to be good.. And STILL in correct placement after switching feet. are you seriously that adverse to be shown wrong? Does being incorrect hurt you physically or something?

Or maybe you just missed this post after he saw the video....

You quoted his older post after he saw the video and posted this:

Thanks. Looks like Adams is indeed still within a yard after the step back. That means the explanation from Johnson is wrong and the LJ must of messed up where the LOS was. Can't fix that.

No.. Read it but didnt see a retraction of statement so didnt consider it a mea culpa but i guess that upon further review it could be slrta viewed as removing blame from player..

Piffle. Off to delete my previous post.

I find it hard to fault one official for those Bombers-Als debacles in Winnipeg in September-October 2011.  Both all-time games in terms of poor officiating.  That call for Carr came right after a play where he actually was interfered with and there was no call.  They also completely botched the spot on the first QB sneak for the winning Bomber touchdown, Brink's entire body up to his knees was in the endzone unless he fumbled there was no chance that he wasn't in, and the Bombers never did get in.

I find it hard to fault one official for those Bombers-Als debacles in Winnipeg in September-October 2011.  Both all-time games in terms of poor officiating.  That call for Carr came right after a play where he actually was interfered with and there was no call.  They also completely botched the spot on the first QB sneak for the winning Bomber touchdown, Brink's entire body up to his knees was in the endzone unless he fumbled there was no chance that he wasn't in, and the Bombers never did get in.

I remember that Brink play distinctly. It was impossible for Brink not to have scored a TD by crossing the goal line. Ref might have said he forgot where the goal line though. So, there's that.

Officiating needs to tighten up in this league... its the worst I've seen it this year, starting to watch NFL - and I hate the NFL...

I'm watching Hockey now - will be fully vested when the season starts in less than two weeks. I agree it was a chincy call but the player was not on the line. Only issue I have with the call is the lateness of the flag. I agree with other posters here - the line judge watches the line from the sideline, and usually throws the flag right away. Only thing I can think of is he confirmed with the line judge from the other side first. i.e. he didn't want to throw a flag if a bomber receiver from the opposite end was on the line - thus negating the call. When the other sideline judge said no, he threw the flag.

No different than the Sk too many men penalty in the G.C. a few years back.

But here's how I see it, the bombers were playing the defending Grey Cup champs and now, with the loss of Collaros, the best team in the league. They hung with them all game, really fought it out. Those guys complaining about the Bombers O - hey that's a Rich Stubler Defense, and Rich knows Nichols very well. He made his adjustments and it took the bombers a while to figure out what to do. That's why they're the CHAMPS. Good on Wpg! I expected a blow out and instead was treated to a close game that had a heartbreak ending. If the bombers had played that way a few more times, it wouldn't have been a must win. It still wasn't IMO - B.C. will be slaughtered by the Eskimos today. Bombers still, have a good chance. They just gotta keep playing this way every week. If they do, they'll win their share of games. If they lay an egg last week, it's on THEM - not an official.

You're allowed to be one yard back from the line. That's in the rule book. The pictures clearly show him half a yard back, in line with the tackles (who were aT least in line with Nichols).

While I'm not convinced it's a conspiracy....it was 100% the wrong call.

Yep it is. But you know, a 'good' team will make that 49 yard field goal. Also, we have absolutely no idea what would have happened after that play if the officials let the play stand. Nichols could have been sacked twice for big yardage loss, or they could have turned the ball over. Just because they get the first down doesn't mean they win.

I like Liram, I think he'll be a star, but I just saw the guy he replaced and was out of football for TWO years come in and kick a 50 yard field last night in an Ottawa loss (Justin Palardy). 

To me, the call was irrelevant - the BOMBERS lost that game, not the officials. Liram is paid to make those kicks, he's not paid to make garbage field goals and 3 out of 4 extra points. He failed ,HE lost the game. 

You're being a bit over-zealous here.  At best a 50 plus yd. FG is a 50/50 proposition for any kicker, especially accounting for wind variations.

To me, the call was irrelevant - the BOMBERS lost that game, not the officials. Liram is paid to make those kicks, he's not paid to make garbage field goals and 3 out of 4 extra points. He failed ,HE lost the game. 

So you would have felt comfortable giving the ball back to Calgary with a minute left needing only a single?  I wouldn't have been.  And I also would not have been too comfortable going to overtime against them.  The call killed a drive we had extended, giving us pretty much the rest of regulation time to find a way to get to the end zone.

Maybe - but it doesn't matter. Officials don't lose a team games. The players do. Liam kicks the field goal, it's tied, and we have no idea what happens after. Officials don't throw the flag - we have no idea what happens on 1st and 10 - it's just as likely - based on the bombers play I'll call it a 50/50 proposition - that Calgary sacks Nichols and strips him of the ball - or forces a bad throw for an interception - as it is for Nihcols to throw a TD pass and win the game (but then Calgary still has time to come back so who knows there )

There are so many variables in a game. There's missed assignments, mis-reads, dropped passes, bad throws, fumbles, wrong play calls, and botch calls by officials. Sorry guys, hate to say it, but you all sound like a bunch of whinny elementary school kids. Here's another saying for you - a good team will put it behind them and focus on the next game. The Eskimos are in town, and Reilly is struggling big time, but the Esk defense is a beast and I still feel the best defense in the league.

Bomber aren't out of it but they need a win on Friday - no excuses. And you all know, as well as I and the bombers, that the Officiating is 3rd rate in this league, so don't put yourself in a position for a botched call by the officials. If anything, the bombers should get some 'favourable' calls on Friday - so lets see what happens. 

Officiating needs to tighten up in this league... its the worst I've seen it this year, starting to watch NFL - and I hate the NFL...

I'm watching Hockey now - will be fully vested when the season starts in less than two weeks. I agree it was a chincy call but the player was not on the line. Only issue I have with the call is the lateness of the flag. I agree with other posters here - the line judge watches the line from the sideline, and usually throws the flag right away. Only thing I can think of is he confirmed with the line judge from the other side first. i.e. he didn't want to throw a flag if a bomber receiver from the opposite end was on the line - thus negating the call. When the other sideline judge said no, he threw the flag.

But here's how I see it, the bombers were playing the defending Grey Cup champs and now, with the loss of Collaros, the best team in the league. They hung with them all game, really fought it out. Those guys complaining about the Bombers O - hey that's a Rich Stubler Defense, and Rich knows Nichols very well. He made his adjustments and it took the bombers a while to figure out what to do. That's why they're the CHAMPS. Good on Wpg! I expected a blow out and instead was treated to a close game that had a heartbreak ending. If the bombers had played that way a few more times, it wouldn't have been a must win. It still wasn't IMO - B.C. will be slaughtered by the Eskimos today. Bombers still, have a good chance. They just gotta keep playing this way every week. If they do, they'll win their share of games. If they lay an egg last week, it's on THEM - not an official.

You're allowed to be one yard back from the line. That's in the rule book. The pictures clearly show him half a yard back, in line with the tackles (who were aT least in line with Nichols).

Yep it is. But you know, a 'good' team will make that 49 yard field goal. Also, we have absolutely no idea what would have happened after that play if the officials let the play stand. Nichols could have been sacked twice for big yardage loss, or they could have turned the ball over. Just because they get the first down doesn't mean they win.

I like Liram, I think he'll be a star, but I just saw the guy he replaced and was out of football for TWO years come in and kick a 50 yard field last night in an Ottawa loss (Justin Palardy). 

You're being a bit over-zealous here.  At best a 50 plus yd. FG is a 50/50 proposition for any kicker, especially accounting for wind variations.

So you would have felt comfortable giving the ball back to Calgary with a minute left needing only a single?  I wouldn't have been.  And I also would not have been too comfortable going to overtime against them.  The call killed a drive we had extended, giving us pretty much the rest of regulation time to find a way to get to the end zone.

Maybe - but it doesn't matter. Officials don't lose a team games. The players do. Liam kicks the field goal, it's tied, and we have no idea what happens after. Officials don't throw the flag - we have no idea what happens on 1st and 10 - it's just as likely - based on the bombers play I'll call it a 50/50 proposition - that Calgary sacks Nichols and strips him of the ball - or forces a bad throw for an interception - as it is for Nihcols to throw a TD pass and win the game (but then Calgary still has time to come back so who knows there )

There are so many variables in a game. There's missed assignments, mis-reads, dropped passes, bad throws, fumbles, wrong play calls, and botch calls by officials. Sorry guys, hate to say it, but you all sound like a bunch of whinny elementary school kids. Here's another saying for you - a good team will put it behind them and focus on the next game. The Eskimos are in town, and Reilly is struggling big time, but the Esk defense is a beast and I still feel the best defense in the league.

Bomber aren't out of it but they need a win on Friday - no excuses. And you all know, as well as I and the bombers, that the Officiating is 3rd rate in this league, so don't put yourself in a position for a botched call by the officials. If anything, the bombers should get some 'favourable' calls on Friday - so lets see what happens. 

No but they did a good job in trying to decide the outcome

No they don't - and again my point is 100% confirmed. Eskimos got jobbed big time on Odell Willis' PI call - yet who won the game? Kicking a field goal LONGER than what Liram had to kick last week against Calgary no less!

Hey - I still stand by my statement. Ladies at book of the month clubs whine and snivel about things they can't control. MEN roll up their sleeves and do something about it.

Eskimos are MEN.

Bombers - what's the book this month?

You're the best fan there is AND you're always right.

Now, will you go away?

Why? And no I'm not always right. But all this sniveling is ridiculous. "Ohhh the ref lost us the game wha wha wha". I said it then and still stand by it. Liram is paid to MAKE THOSE KICKS. He's not paid to kick 4 out of 5 extra points and hit field goals inside 40 yards when they don't matter. What's wrong Mr.Dee - can't admit when you're wrong? I can. 

You're the best fan there is AND you're always right.

Now, will you go away?

Why? And no I'm not always right. But all this sniveling is ridiculous. "Ohhh the ref lost us the game wha wha wha". I said it then and still stand by it. Liram is paid to MAKE THOSE KICKS. He's not paid to kick 4 out of 5 extra points and hit field goals inside 40 yards when they don't matter. What's wrong Mr.Dee - can't admit when you're wrong? I can. 

KptKrunch my observation of your posts is sometimes you have some very useful things to say to add value to the discussion, but frequently it's not what you write, it's how you write that can turn other people sideways.

We're all guilty of that but some posters do it more consistently than others I would say.

No they don't - and again my point is 100% confirmed. Eskimos got jobbed big time on Odell Willis' PI call - yet who won the game? Kicking a field goal LONGER than what Liram had to kick last week against Calgary no less!

Hey - I still stand by my statement. Ladies at book of the month clubs whine and snivel about things they can't control. MEN roll up their sleeves and do something about it.

Eskimos are MEN.

Bombers - what's the book this month?

Guess the MRS posted this??

On replay, it did look like Willis had his hand on Kohlerts back b4 the ball arrived tho. That's a PI this year. has been called many times. 

Well, I'll try to find the replay but... thought it was pretty close. They call lots of phantom PI calls this year, this might just be another example of one of them. In my opinion, if it indeed was a phantom PI call, it probably wasn't the only one that game. 

Maybe it's just my perspective but I noticed last night that TSN was not providing a lot of replays of penalty calls. The PI in the endzone that put the Esks. on the one was not re-shown and a number of the blocking violations that were flagged on Stoudermire's returns were not spot-lighted either.  Maybe TSN has decided to play down the poor officiating that is par for the course in the CFL and try to focus more on the positives.