No End Call - CFL confirms it was an incorrect call

Floyd

The refs need to get better for sure. To do that, we need to fund them better, get them better training and have a better path to being a CFL ref. Basically take it from a part time job to a full time one.

On the No End call, the line judge shouldn't have pointed while Adams was still in motion. He should have waited until Adams was set before giving his OK. Once the ref indicates Adams is on the line, Adams shouldn't be allowed to move. Simple to do. Simple to fix. Unfortunate that it had to happen in the first place. 

More challenges isn't the answer. Allowing the coaches to challenge this call wouldn't have resulted in a reversal IMO. The replay would have shown that Adams was off the line and would have said the ruling on the field was upheld. They needed the footage of the ref pointing while Adams was in motion and talking with the refs involved to decide that it wasn't the right call. There are more than enough stoppages of play already.

The idea that 'penalties that don't affect the play should not be called' is fatally flawed. It's not OK to cheat if it doesn't effect the play. It's not OK to grab a receiver if he's away from the play or to go offside if you don't get to the QB or if you don't get the ball thrown your way. It's not OK hold or clip or block below the belt just because it's away from the play. Most of the penalties are the players fault and are totally controllable by the players. 

But Adams is allowed the yard from the line of scrimmage. He CAN move.  Unless you're insinuating the rule should be changed? 

No I'm insinuating that he moved off the LOS. He's more than a yard away from the line judge when the ball comes up and the LJ should be on the LOS to get the right angle.

3rd and inches, Adams involvement in the play was the definition of incidental.  Bonehead call by the line-judge made worse by confirmation by the head official.

3rd and inches, Adams involvement in the play was the definition of incidental.  Bonehead call by the line-judge made worse by confirmation by the head official.

All Adams has to do is set in the right place then ask for confirmation then there's no call to make. He's as much at fault as the LJ who made the call. Both were lazy about what they were doing. 

I wonder if we'd made the FG after this play if the reaction to the call would be as bad as it is?

The refs need to get better for sure. To do that, we need to fund them better, get them better training and have a better path to being a CFL ref. Basically take it from a part time job to a full time one.

On the No End call, the line judge shouldn't have pointed while Adams was still in motion. He should have waited until Adams was set before giving his OK. Once the ref indicates Adams is on the line, Adams shouldn't be allowed to move. Simple to do. Simple to fix. Unfortunate that it had to happen in the first place. 

More challenges isn't the answer. Allowing the coaches to challenge this call wouldn't have resulted in a reversal IMO. The replay would have shown that Adams was off the line and would have said the ruling on the field was upheld. They needed the footage of the ref pointing while Adams was in motion and talking with the refs involved to decide that it wasn't the right call. There are more than enough stoppages of play already.

The idea that 'penalties that don't affect the play should not be called' is fatally flawed. It's not OK to cheat if it doesn't effect the play. It's not OK to grab a receiver if he's away from the play or to go offside if you don't get to the QB or if you don't get the ball thrown your way. It's not OK hold or clip or block below the belt just because it's away from the play. Most of the penalties are the players fault and are totally controllable by the players. 

But Adams is allowed the yard from the line of scrimmage. He CAN move.  Unless you're insinuating the rule should be changed? 

No I'm insinuating that he moved off the LOS. He's more than a yard away from the line judge when the ball comes up and the LJ should be on the LOS to get the right angle.

He moved off with the 1/2 step he took back, but with the LOS being the 37 1/2 yard line, his right foot was on on the 38 when the ball was snapped.  He was only about 1/2 yard off the LOS (which is allowed) regardless of where the side judge was standing. 

He moved off with the 1/2 step he took back, but with the LOS being the 37 1/2 yard line, his right foot was on on the 38 when the ball was snapped.  He was only about 1/2 yard off the LOS (which is allowed) regardless of where the side judge was standing. 

I'm going from the loop I saw on twitter after the game showing the LJ pointing while Adams was moving then Adams settling down and taking a half step back.  CFL and TSN game logs say 37 yard line. Of course that could be 37 1/2. I can't find the loop anymore, do you have a link?

All Adams has to do is set in the right place then ask for confirmation then there's no call to make. He's as much at fault as the LJ who made the call. Both were lazy about what they were doing. 

I wonder if we'd made the FG after this play if the reaction to the call would be as bad as it is?

What are they going to do when the receivers in motion are off-side half of the time before the ball snaps, flag every play?  There is a degree of leniency and discretion involved in officiating football, it's not chess.

I'm going from the loop I saw on twitter after the game showing the LJ pointing while Adams was moving then Adams settling down and taking a half step back.  CFL and TSN game logs say 37 yard line. Of course that could be 37 1/2. I can't find the loop anymore, do you have a link?

https://twitter.com/DTonSC/status/647854707764031488

On the No End call, the line judge shouldn't have pointed while Adams was still in motion. He should have waited until Adams was set before giving his OK. Once the ref indicates Adams is on the line, Adams shouldn't be allowed to move. Simple to do. Simple to fix. Unfortunate that it had to happen in the first place.

But Adams is allowed the yard from the line of scrimmage. He CAN move. Unless you're insinuating the rule should be changed?

He moved off with the 1/2 step he took back, but with the LOS being the 37 1/2 yard line, his right foot was on on the 38 when the ball was snapped. He was only about 1/2 yard off the LOS (which is allowed) regardless of where the side judge was standing.

I'm going from the loop I saw on twitter after the game showing the LJ pointing while Adams was moving then Adams settling down and taking a half step back. CFL and TSN game logs say 37 yard line. Of course that could be 37 1/2. I can't find the loop anymore, do you have a link?

CFL has already admitted it was a blown call so not sure what the argument is about at this point. It is black and white. The officials blew it. End of story.

On the No End call, the line judge shouldn't have pointed while Adams was still in motion. He should have waited until Adams was set before giving his OK. Once the ref indicates Adams is on the line, Adams shouldn't be allowed to move. Simple to do. Simple to fix. Unfortunate that it had to happen in the first place.

But Adams is allowed the yard from the line of scrimmage. He CAN move. Unless you're insinuating the rule should be changed?

He moved off with the 1/2 step he took back, but with the LOS being the 37 1/2 yard line, his right foot was on on the 38 when the ball was snapped. He was only about 1/2 yard off the LOS (which is allowed) regardless of where the side judge was standing.

I'm going from the loop I saw on twitter after the game showing the LJ pointing while Adams was moving then Adams settling down and taking a half step back. CFL and TSN game logs say 37 yard line. Of course that could be 37 1/2. I can't find the loop anymore, do you have a link?

CFL has already admitted it was a blown call so not sure what the argument is about at this point. It is black and white. The officials blew it. End of story.

Yes, let's end this & move on. everything that has could have been said has been said.

Yes, let's end this & move on. everything that has could have been said has been said.

You know what, I really can't just let this one go. Too many times the CFL has come back after a game like this and said to the Bombers "Sorry, we blew the call". Once OK but it's happened so many times and it always seems to be to the Bombers I just can not let this kind of gross incompetence slide anymore. I demand reparations. 

You know what, I really can't just let this one go. Too many times the CFL has come back after a game like this and said to the Bombers "Sorry, we blew the call". Once OK but it's happened so many times and it always seems to be to the Bombers I just can not let this kind of gross incompetence slide anymore. I demand reparations. 

Well... .I don't know what the answer is. I do know this, Johnson could have at least said sorry to the Bombers & us, the fans. He chose not to which I don't like. 

The apology was less than a whisper after midnight.  No mention of it on the CFL.ca site and the only reference was in a game summary. 

"The Bombers almost pulled off a dramatic comeback in front of an energetic Investors Group Field crowd, scoring on a Rory Kohlert touchdown then getting the ball back just 11 seconds later. But their late rally was stumped on a penalty following a third-down conversion, forcing Hajrullahu to try a long field goal that he couldn't connect on."

They did not even have the gonads to say that the penalty that "stumped" them was controversial.

The apology was less than a whisper after midnight.  No mention of it on the CFL.ca site and the only reference was in a game summary. 

"The Bombers almost pulled off a dramatic comeback in front of an energetic Investors Group Field crowd, scoring on a Rory Kohlert touchdown then getting the ball back just 11 seconds later. But their late rally was stumped on a penalty following a third-down conversion, forcing Hajrullahu to try a long field goal that he couldn't connect on."

They did not even have the gonads to say that the penalty that "stumped" them was controversial.

Yeah, Johnson refused. Man up & say we blew it & WE ARE SORRY. @$$hole. 

https://twitter.com/DTonSC/status/647854707764031488

Thanks. Looks like Adams is indeed still within a yard after the step back. That means the explanation from Johnson is wrong and the LJ must of messed up where the LOS was. Can't fix that.

The solution for this scenario is to make the players entirely responsible for their positioning on the field.

How is that the solution when it has been shown that Adams was only a half yard off the line, well within the rules?

There was no illegal procedure on the play.   

It only makes matters worse that the ref said he was fine, then after the play changed his mind.

So if the player lines up and asks the ref...the ref says yes and then the player repositions himself. Is the player get another ask? Does the ref correct him?

He was always lined up correctly.

To answer your question though, I don't think it is uncommon for a ref to tell a guy he is lined up illegally.

WR's checking with the linesman is standard operating procedure at all levels of football.   Has been for years and is a well established practice.  No need to change that, just need the officials to get it right, which they do virtually all the time.   In 40 years of football, this is first time I recall seeing a linesman mess it up like this.

The solution for this scenario is to make the players entirely responsible for their positioning on the field.

They already are.  The officials are responsible for judging whether the formation is legal based on the rules.  Players can always ask for clarification, that's what the check-in with the linesman is.  You'll see defensive players ask the umpire to set the line for them fairly often on short-yardage so they don't line up offside too.