No End Call - CFL confirms it was an incorrect call

Floyd

Just watched a bunch of the videos and Adams did step back a bit from the line BUT he was within a yard, as per the rules. The official ... looked to be a yard off the line.

In the end though it should never have come down to this the Bombers lost the game largely based on a crappy third and first 10 minutes of the fourth. It is also pretty hard to win games where you possess the ball more than 10 minutes less than the other team. The call sucked and the Bombers deserved better but they shouldn't lose sight of the fact that they had lost that game largely before that point.

Just watched a bunch of the videos and Adams did step back a bit from the line BUT he was within a yard, as per the rules. The official ... looked to be a yard off the line.

In the end though it should never have come down to this the Bombers lost the game largely based on a crappy third and first 10 minutes of the fourth. It is also pretty hard to win games where you possess the ball more than 10 minutes less than the other team. The call sucked and the Bombers deserved better but they shouldn't lose sight of the fact that they had lost that game largely before that point.

True but at the same time the team did fight back to get close.  It doesn't matter when the points are scored. Just that they are scored and the refs significantly hurt our chance to tie the game. 

That argument is pure hogwash

True but at the same time the team did fight back to get close.  It doesn't matter when the points are scored. Just that they are scored and the refs significantly hurt our chance to tie the game. 

they hadn't lost the game at that point but they were behind. The bad call didn't cost us the game. It may have contributed but it wasn't the sole reason why we lost. 

I can see the officials getting together before the game and chatting ...

Official #1: "Hey, how's it goin'?"

Official #2: "Good! You?"

Official #1: "Always like doing the Calgary games. They are so well coached and have some really great players. I'm still enjoying that case of Scotch Huffer sent over after the Grey Cup win. His way of saying thanks for the call I made on the Banks TD return late. Remember that? I had that poor slob in tears after letting him think he had scored a Grey Cup winning TD!"

<laughter>

Official #2: "Speaking of jokes, what a joke this Winnipeg team is, eh? Even the Riders can beat them.

<laughter>

Official #1: "Yeah, they don't even belong on the same field as the Stamps. They suck from that fatboy Miller right down to the waterboy. Only good thing about the Bombers is IGF and their cheerleaders".

<laughter>

Official #2: "You bet! I'd like to flag one of those beauties for rough play". 

<laughter>

Official #1: "Don't worry, we'll have plenty of opportunities to throw flags today. We always throw plenty against the Bumblers".

<laughter>

Official #2: "Well, no matter what, let's make sure this game is over quick. I wanna get outa here for a few barley sandwiches after stopping at the Salisbury House."

Official #1: "Don't worry, whatever it takes we'll be outa here in record time. Stamps should have it wrapped up early and if not, no worries, we'll make sure the right team wins <wink>. Place is half empty anyway. " 

they hadn't lost the game at that point but they were behind. The bad call didn't cost us the game. It may have contributed but it wasn't the sole reason why we lost. 

just wasting my time.  Haters gonna hate no matter what and the logical will always win out in the end.   :P  

These apologies over the years from the CFL seem to always be to the Bombers.

Ever wonder why that is? 

There was NO apology from Glenn Johnson. Just an acknowledgement that a mistake was made. 

D'oh! With our 10th official apology from the league for a crucial blown call we get a free coffee at Tim's! :(

just wasting my time.  Haters gonna hate no matter what and the logical will always win out in the end.   :P

I hear you. I guess it's just easier for some to wallow.

All's I know is, it was an entertaining game...and we had a chance to win.

Pretty simple really.

The call may or may not have cost us the game. Would we have scored a TD for sure if the call wasn't made? Would Hajrillajuh have made that FG if he was a few yards closer? No one knows for sure as we can't tell the future. We had a chance yes, but it wasn't a sure thing. 

And logic says that they significantly hurt their chances to win when they only put up 25 yards to Calgary's 137 in the third quarter and spot them and 11 point lead in that time. 

They kept fighting and that is great but you simply cannot nap for a quarter in professional football and expect to win. That's too is logic.

I've been involved in football since the mid '70's as a player, coach, board member, executive, gm, and even at times as a game official.  I normally tend to side with the game officials, because I know how tough it is to make every call, especially the "subjective" ones like holding and PI.    That being said, the player checked with the official, and the official "okayed" his position.  This is standard procedure from Atom to professional level.  I don't ever recall a "no end" flag being thrown well after the play, it is virtually always thrown right at the snap.   I thought the flag was going to be for an "objectionable conduct".

I really don't know what the story is, but I know when I worked as a game official, we always wanted to be fair, and were always instructed not to throw flags for meaningless penalties that could change a games outcome.  This type of "tickytack" flag is just wrong.   If there is something grossly wrong away from the play, you throw it.....a cheap shot, an intent to injure or other serious penalty, but not a guy being a foot back from the line of scrimmage at wideout after he checked with the official.

This really ranks as one of the worst pieces of officiating I've seen at any level. 

I umpire baseball and I totally agree with this....the last thing an official wants to do is change the outcome of a game. I'll call a kid out on strikes if needed, but everyone has more fun if the players determine the outcome of the game, NOT the officials.

True but at the same time the team did fight back to get close. It doesn't matter when the points are scored. Just that they are scored and the refs significantly hurt our chance to tie the game.

Still hogwash. Know why? If that penalty at minimum doesnt happen, we get the first and hypothetically 2-3 yards more at MINIMUM by running.. That 50 yarder is now.. A 43? Minimum if we dont do a thing its a 45 and lirim nails it. He was wide by like, a half foot?

The play killed any chance we had of making that field goal and IMO the way calgary was reeling, potentially a TD..

I agree our 3rd quarter and well into the 4th we sucked. But when the game was on the line we came storming back, and while we'll never know what coulda been, this was a terrible call that embarrassed the league and infuriated Bomber fans. And potentially took the game away from us.

I hear you. I guess it's just easier for some to wallow.

All's I know is, it was an entertaining game...and we had a chance to win.

Pretty simple really.

What I find insanely entertaining is the gear change. First its, "Osheas a bum! Cant get guys lined up!!," now its, " hes an idiot for not challenging in the 5 seconds he had after the blown reception call"

People wanna hate Oshea no matter what.

Adams asks if he is lined up properly, gets told he's good, flag called on him by the same ref.

That is some super sonic level of incompetency.

But only after he consulted with the head official, so he didn't have the balls to make the call himself but first sought permission to do so from someone who most likely didn't see the actual offence.  The head official could have averted this whole embarrassment with a small amount of forethought in his response.  It was 3rd and 2 inches, so the "offending player" was not integral to the success or failure of the play.