No End Call - CFL confirms it was an incorrect call

Floyd

No. The refs weren't responsible for the lack of O in the 3rd. That's the Bellefeuille special but... the game is 60 minutes long. No lead is safe stuff. If the refs actually messed that call up... sounding like they did.... no it didn't cost us the game but.... it might have

It didn't cost us the game but it significantly hampered our ability to put the game in to overtime.  That is non refutable.

No. The refs weren't responsible for the lack of O in the 3rd. That's the Bellefeuille special but... the game is 60 minutes long. No lead is safe stuff. If the refs actually messed that call up... sounding like they did.... no it didn't cost us the game but.... it might have

It didn't cost us the game but it significantly hampered our ability to put the game in to overtime. That is non refutable.

*Irrefutable.... Indeed. We shoulda been at least tied, never mind a good chance to win it outright.

I don't think the Refs were paid off obviously. If so they let the game be awfully close. But I do think benefit of the doubt is given to certain teams.

The co called circus catch? Meh give it to Calgary. The no end? Meh give it to Calgary. If one ref told Adams he was good and that ref didn't inform the head ref it's shameful and cowardly.

And while none of this excuses a bad performance by the Bombers it's still worth pursuing.

Also how could no one at TSN go back to the non catch? It's like they were so in love with their narrative of Rodgers that they refused to report the non catch. That's inexcusable

As disappointed as I am with those two calls, they don't compare with our offence giving Calgary the entire 3rd quarter and most of the 4th too.  In fact, I got a really bad feeling when Stoudermire misplayed the opening kick off in the 3rd and we quickly went 2 and out.  They looked flat and they played that way for a long time.  So those calls by the refs did not help us, but when you only play about 30 or so good minutes of a 60 minute game, bad things are likely going to happen.

And no, there was no "fix" on those calls, just people wearing stripes that made mistakes.  Crap happens.  Good teams find a way to rise above it.  We almost did

Refs paid off so Winnipeg would lose to Calgary in a game that means nothing so all those folks who bet on a nothing CFL game could make lots of money or so Montreal could cross over? Dumbest conspiracy theory ever!

It cost us a better shot at a FG to put the game into OT and if LH had made the 50 yarder, it wouldn't have made much difference at all. Some time off the clock and a small chance to score a TD for the win.

Refs paid off so Winnipeg would lose to Calgary in a game that means nothing so all those folks who bet on a nothing CFL game could make lots of money or so Montreal could cross over? Dumbest conspiracy theory ever!

It cost us a better shot at a FG to put the game into OT and if LH had made the 50 yarder, it wouldn't have made much difference at all. Some time off the clock and a small chance to score a TD for the win.

1. I agree with you that it's not a conspiracy.  However, it was not a nothing game for the Bombers.  The Bombers are fighting for their playoff lives.  Montreal is one win ahead of them right now and BC is even with them.  They are still in the playoff hunt, so no it's not a meaningless game for the Bombers.  But I agree with you about it not being a conspiracy theory.  It's just bad reffing.

2. If the Bombers would not have been called for no end, who knows what would have happened.  The Bombers could have scored a TD on the next play, or they could have thrown a pick. We have no way of knowing that now.  So by that logic, the refs didn't take away a win for the Bombers, but rather they gave it to Calgary.

In other words they took away any chance the Bombers had at scoring either a TD or a much higher percentage field goal for the tie which essentially gave the game to Calgary.

Under normal circumstances I don't ever blame the ref for a loss, but in this case I just can't see any way around it.  They had a very negative impact on the game at the most crucial time.  They gave the game to Calgary and in the end it may cost the Bombers a playoff birth.

Mistakes are made by refs all the time, always will be.  

As a Bomber fan, it is frustrating as hell to watch that happen in the final minutes of a game.   But if you take a step back and look at it, if one play like that means we miss the playoffs, we don't really deserve to be in the playoffs.

Meaning the Bombers have squandered many other chances in many other games to put themselves in a position where a call like that could have such a profound impact.  You can really blame all those other plays and squandered opportunities just as much as a missed call.

The refs are making games hard to watch already and this just adds to it. Piss poor reffing is ruining the game

CFL should change it's name to the AFL. The All Flag League. Its the only league in the world that encourages their officials to throw flags & make bad calls. The officials makes sure they call back big plays, destroy the flow of the games & drag them out even further. In the CFL HO they say, "Hey, let's change more rules every year so we can throw even MORE flags". It has got to the point of being absolutely crazy & it has to end. Don't ask players to be more disciplined  if the refs are going to throw more flags. Change the mindset of CFL officiating & MAKE IT STOP.

I don't believe in teams bribing officials as if true that would be a scandal that could destroy the CFL. I do believe in people being mediocre & if so being held accountable. If there was a bad call & the officials just buried their heads refusing to say anything as they ran off the field then whoever made that call should be fired. We'll see if the officials were  wrong & if the CFL apologizes or not. Not that it makes a difference now. 

As a Bomber fan, it is frustrating as hell to watch that happen in the final minutes of a game.   But if you take a step back and look at it, if one play like that means we miss the playoffs, we don't really deserve to be in the playoffs.

Meaning the Bombers have squandered many other chances in many other games to put themselves in a position where a call like that could have such a profound impact.  You can really blame all those other plays and squandered opportunities just as much as a missed call.

I can't disagree with you. What you are describing is the big picture and you are very much correct.

Within the big picture there are always pivotal moments  that help shape the big picture.  I can understand when the Bombers screw up and shape their own destiny, in regards to a playoff birth, but when the refs step in at a pivotal moment and directly effect the game, it leaves a bitter taste.  Let the players screw it up for themselves...lol.

As a Bomber fan, it is frustrating as hell to watch that happen in the final minutes of a game. But if you take a step back and look at it, if one play like that means we miss the playoffs, we don't really deserve to be in the playoffs.

Meaning the Bombers have squandered many other chances in many other games to put themselves in a position where a call like that could have such a profound impact. You can really blame all those other plays and squandered opportunities just as much as a missed call.

I can't disagree with you. What you are describing is the big picture and you are very much correct.

Within the big picture there are always pivotal moments that help shape the big picture. I can understand when the Bombers screw up and shape their own destiny, in regards to a playoff birth, but when the refs step in at a pivotal moment and directly effect the game, it leaves a bitter taste. Let the players screw it up for themselves...lol.

Oh I agree that it leaves a bitter taste in your mouth. People have a right to and should be mad.

All I'm saying is that one play isn't the deciding factor on if we make the playoffs or not.

Its not even a bomber issue really... its a CFL issue.  For the refs to make a borderline call like that late in the game, just leaves a sour taste in the fans mouths.  Instead of a nail-biter and maybe over-time for a team who is struggling to fill the seats... we all left saying 'The CFL is a joke... time for NFL and NHL...'  Its a real shame is what it is...

Its not even a bomber issue really... its a CFL issue.  For the refs to make a borderline call like that late in the game, just leaves a sour taste in the fans mouths.  Instead of a nail-biter and maybe over-time for a team who is struggling to fill the seats... we all left saying 'The CFL is a joke... time for NFL and NHL...'  Its a real shame is what it is...

I'm sure Miller screamed long and loud to the league about the officiating yesterday as it takes the focus off him and his crap coaching staff. 

The real bummer for me was that the play was over, we got the first down, and belatedly, there was a flag...for a line call, several seconds after the play. Those type of calls do not take that long..ever.

A MEDIA STATEMENT FROM CFL VP OF OFFICIATING GLEN JOHNSON

Saturday, September 26, 2015 — Near the conclusion of last night's Winnipeg Blue Bombers vs. Calgary Stampeders game in Winnipeg, an illegal procedure call had a significant impact on the game. Our review of the call has concluded it was an incorrect call. The official who made it is being disciplined in accordance with the gravity of the situation.

I've been involved in football since the mid '70's as a player, coach, board member, executive, gm, and even at times as a game official.  I normally tend to side with the game officials, because I know how tough it is to make every call, especially the "subjective" ones like holding and PI.    That being said, the player checked with the official, and the official "okayed" his position.  This is standard procedure from Atom to professional level.  I don't ever recall a "no end" flag being thrown well after the play, it is virtually always thrown right at the snap.   I thought the flag was going to be for an "objectionable conduct".

I really don't know what the story is, but I know when I worked as a game official, we always wanted to be fair, and were always instructed not to throw flags for meaningless penalties that could change a games outcome.  This type of "tickytack" flag is just wrong.   If there is something grossly wrong away from the play, you throw it.....a cheap shot, an intent to injure or other serious penalty, but not a guy being a foot back from the line of scrimmage at wideout after he checked with the official.

This really ranks as one of the worst pieces of officiating I've seen at any level.