Marc Trestman to the Riders in 2016?

gbill2004

In Rod Petersons mind coaching the Riders is a better coaching job than being an NFL OC. Best fans in the world and all that.

It depends on the person I guess. Let's say pay is the same:

1. OC in the NFL - small fish in big pond

2. HC and GM in CFL - you're the man. Big fish in small pond.

3. HC and GM in Regina - You're a sick fish in a roadside slough

Fixed it for yea!

:)

Further to Rod Pedersen ramblings:

@sportscage - "An American NHL team's ownership group has had at least minor explorations into landing a #CFL franchise for LA."

@sportscage: "I'm not prepared to say which team it is however I spoke with a club spokesman & he would not deny the rumour." #CFL

The latest gem from Pederson (I'm nauseous typing this, knowing it may just give him more page views...).  His blog reminds me of Creed's from the Office.

7 - THE LATEST WILD RUMOUR:  This one came right out of the blue on the weekend.  I was tipped off that an American NHL team's ownership group has had at least minor explorations into landing a CFL franchise for Los Angeles.  At this point I'm not prepared to say which team it is however I spoke with a club spokesman and he would not deny the rumour.  Stay tuned!

http://www.rodpedersen.com/2015/09/thursday-rodservations_23.html

Further to Rod Pedersen ramblings:

@sportscage - "An American NHL team's ownership group has had at least minor explorations into landing a #CFL franchise for LA."

@sportscage: "I'm not prepared to say which team it is however I spoke with a club spokesman & he would not deny the rumour." #CFL

I remember the same kind of rumour in the early 1990's just before the CFL expanded into the US the first time. It never happened. Now's a great time to have a US expansion team when the loonie's tanked. 

The problem with American teams in the CFL is still that they don't have to follow the ratio. The last time they expanded into the states it was a cash grab to try and keep the league afloat plain and simple. They don't need to do that these days. 

I seem to recall that damned few of the American franchise owners actually paid their franchise fees. One of the few was the chap who owned the Sacramento/Baltimore teams.

If I recall, it is actually a legal issue in the States. US employment laws wouldn't allow them to mandate a number of jobs going to non Americans.

I think you can collectively bargain around certain laws. Such as anti trust etc. I would think this would be one of those too

No you can't. The only American sports league to be exempt from anti-trust laws is MLB. Rich was right about American labour laws being the reason the American teams didn't have to deal with the ratio.

The problem with American teams in the CFL is still that they don't have to follow the ratio. The last time they expanded into the states it was a cash grab to try and keep the league afloat plain and simple. They don't need to do that these days. 

Exactly right on both counts. The CFL needed the dough & Larry Smith the Commish at the time felt US expansion was the way to go. They never figured on or perhaps just ignored the immigration & work policies of the US that included no ratio on the US teams. The other problem was the value of our loonie vs US currency. It was valued then about where it is now which made it damned near impossible for the Canadian teams to compete for the best CFL free agents. They all went to the US teams. Also, the way Smith & the CFL Board of Dinosaurs awarded franchises was a joke unto itself. Announce owners & teams then give them 6 months to field that team & play in markets that never heard of the CFL  or understood Canadian football. No wonder the fans stayed away... I just hope, not again.. 

There are a couple of US markets that expansion could work. The CFL's big problem with US expansion last time was that they added too many teams, too quickly, into markets that weren't for the most part very interested. The CFL gambled that small markets like Shreveport, Birmingham, and San Antonio would thrive because of the football cultures of these cities. However, what they failed to account for, or to expect, was that these deep south cities would be intensely loyal to the American game. Baltimore was a great success because the fan base accepted the CFL without bias.

There are pockets in the US that actually draw strong viewership numbers for the CFL in the Northern US. Expand to a couple of those cities and the teams would likely succeed.