U of Guelph courting Kyle Walters

gbill2004

The whole thing as presented by Lawless is pretty goofy. The job isn't open yet and there will be a whole hiring process that the university has to go through. They can't just choose the one person they want without going through the posting, vetting and interviewing process. Lawless seems to live in fantasyland sometimes, maybe a touch too eager to break news. I don't doubt that Walters could be a candidate for AD at Guelph.

The whole thing as presented by Lawless is pretty goofy. The job isn't open yet and there will be a whole hiring process that the university has to go through. They can't just choose the one person they want without going through the posting, vetting and interviewing process. Lawless seems to live in fantasyland sometimes, maybe a touch too eager to break news. I don't doubt that Walters could be a candidate for AD at Guelph.

Well, they might not formally say "We want Walters and only Walters", but they can certainly encourage him to apply and let him know that they would be really really pleased to see his application come in.  Then they can do a couple of token interviews with other people and find out, surprise surprise, that Walters is  just the guy they've been looking for.  Happens quite often.

Sort of like when the Bombers hired Walters after their "exhaustive" search throughout the CFL for the very best GM candidate possible.  I've always marvelled how lucky the Bombers were that the very guy that they needed just happened to already be in the building.  

You're probably right about that... but with most of his recent "news breaks" there usually has been fire shortly after the smoke... 

I believe him 100% on stuff like this.

He doesn't make stuff like this up.

If he says someone is contacting Walters for the job, it happened. Doesn't mean Walters is going to take it.

Walters would be a fool to not take it. He is arguably on thin ice here with little job security and his tenure here depends on the on-field product. That has been pretty poor and also is a reflection of the quality of coaching- which has been a result of his choice of O'Shea as head coach. University jobs are as stable as you can get in this day and age and might even involve a raise, so what's not to like?

I believe him 100% on stuff like this.

He doesn't make stuff like this up.

If he says someone is contacting Walters for the job, it happened. Doesn't mean Walters is going to take it.

I'm sure Stu Laing has been in touch with Walters as they have essentially rebuilt the football program at Guelph together. They probably talk fairly often. There are about 10 more steps to go before Walters is hired. I fully believe that he's a candidate if he wants to be, but the article today is beyond dumb in how it is presented as almost an inevitability that Walters is going to be the AD at Guelph. Would be interesting if Lawless looked into internal candidates and the gender distribution of management positions at Guelph.

Great statement by Walters.  He really hedged and some people cant see it.

If no one from the team officially discussed this job with him, how can he "intend" to leave?  Thats the key.  No one has discussed it, no one has offered it.  Team Boosters dont count.  Thats why the U likely engaged their boosters to feel Kyle out, so everyone has deniability. 

When Kyle accepts the job he will say that back when he issued this statement, no one from the team had talked to him and he had no intention of leaving.  But things change.

And even if people get pissy with Kyle over it, what does he care?  If he has to take a bit of heat later, he's doing the right thing for the team by trying to nip this in the bud right now.

Great statement by Walters.  He really hedged and some people cant see it.

If no one from the team officially discussed this job with him, how can he "intend" to leave?  Thats the key.  No one has discussed it, no one has offered it.  Team Boosters dont count.  Thats why the U likely engaged their boosters to feel Kyle out, so everyone has deniability. 

When Kyle accepts the job he will say that back when he issued this statement, no one from the team had talked to him and he had no intention of leaving.  But things change.

And even if people get pissy with Kyle over it, what does he care?  If he has to take a bit of heat later, he's doing the right thing for the team by trying to nip this in the bud right now.

This could be a huge distraction to the team affecting their chances to win if it's not nipped in the bud now. It could affect the outcome of the season negatively. Oh wait... 

Yeah Lawless isn't as smart as he thinks he is when he's writing opinion pieces but the man is connected and there is a lot of weight to his rumours. Be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Lawless is the stupidest sports writer in Winnipeg. I won't read his crap and if he is ever on TV I mute it.

Yeah Lawless isn't as smart as he thinks he is when he's writing opinion pieces but the man is connected and there is a lot of weight to his rumours. Be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Lawless is the stupidest sports writer in Winnipeg. I won't read his crap and if he is ever on TV I mute it.
What if he's on with Sarah Orlesky?

Your loss

Your loss

The guy has nothing worth hearing ... Ever. He mostly just parrots other people.