U of Guelph courting Kyle Walters

gbill2004

For those paywall damned...

MONTREAL - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are not the only organization interested in the services of Kyle Walters.

The Blue Bombers GM has been approached by boosters at the University of Guelph to take over as athletic director at the end of current AD Tom Kendall’s tenure.

A Guelph alumnus confirmed the information on Sunday morning.

"Kyle has been approached by some of our alumni to guage his interest in the postion," said the source, on the request of anonymity.

Kendall, the former University of Winnipeg womens basketball coach is set to retire in December. He’s 69.

Walters both played and coached at the University of Guelph and was head coach of the football team there from 2006 through 2009.

"Kyle has no comment," said Bombers director of communications Darren Cameron through text when asked if Walters could be made available to discuss this development.

Walters has two years remaining on his contract following this season, but speaking to a well-regarded CFL agent, it is believed there would be an opening in his pact to allow him to leave for such a position.

The Bombers job would pay more per year, but the security of an AD position at a CIS school, as well as the perks associated with being a university employee, are attractive options.

Walters is a native of St. Thomas, Ont., which is just 90 minutes down the road from Guelph.

gary.lawless@freepress.mb.ca
Twitter: @garylawless

Isn't he under contract to the Bombers?

I'm fairly sure he could resign and forfeit his contact... but there's no way the bombers would "force" him to stay...

There is always a way out of a contract.  They can't force him to come into work.  I'm pretty sure the only thing they could do is stop him from working for another CFL team.

I'd sure like an answer soon if Walters is in fact going to take the position at Guelph...I don't want this guy making anymore deals for our club if he isn't 100 per cent here....Great time to be negotiating with Henoc..lol....AND as far as O'Shea becoming GM...LOL....he seems to be having a tough enough time with the special teams position...He'll be gone.

I'd sure like an answer soon if Walters is in fact going to take the position at Guelph...I don't want this guy making anymore deals for our club if he isn't 100 per cent here....Great time to be negotiating with Henoc..lol....AND as far as O'Shea becoming GM...LOL....he seems to be having a tough enough time with the special teams position...He'll be gone.

If Kyle was interested in the job you really think he'd half-ass it here? Come on...

My fear is...GM opening and Tamen is unemployed. Puke.