U of Guelph courting Kyle Walters

gbill2004

If I'm going to pump anyone's tires, it's John Murphy's. He's involved in all aspects of the Stamps organization from scouting college & pro teams in the US & Canada, contract negotiations, the salary cap, monitoring the CFL waiver wire daily, updating the Stamps  neg list & free agent camps. He's the one behind the outstanding record Huff has has had in the CFL Draft as well as finding the great International talent the Stamps have. To me, he's the De Facto GM over there now. He's a huge reason why Hufnagel  is courting 100 wins in 7 1/2 seasons as Stampeders HC & a 2 time Grey Cup winner as well. I believe he's ready to take over a team  as GM.

Here's the other thing... people say we can't attract the best coaches & players here. If the Bombers hire a GM with outstanding credentials then the quality coaches that won't come here otherwise certainly will. We keep hiring GMs that don't have the credentials, reputation or experience needed & naturally coaches don't want to come here as they fear the Bombers will be a career graveyard for them. Hire someone other football people respect & the quality candidates will come, I believe. Of course, Walters has to go to Guelph first for this to happen. Kyle may not be hired as AD over there or decide to stay here. I'd have to think the Riders may pursue this guy aggressively at seasons end as well.

Here is Murphy's bio from the Stampeders website:

http://www.stampeders.com/john_murphy

John Murphy would be a risk cause he's shown no aptitude to manage a team. Do far he's just a good scout.

This is incorrect... Murphy handles a lot of the GM duties in Calgary including negotiating contracts and cap management.... add that to being a good scout and you got a pretty good GM...

Lawless was on TSN 1290 talking about Walter situation this morning.  He endorsed John Murphy, but said Murphy is a little rough around the edges, but if you could pair him with someone a little smoother, it'd be a great combo. 

I heard the Lawless interview this morning & what he said really makes no sense. I don't even know what that even means? I've heard Murphy on the radio here in Calgary being interviewed plenty in the past on the Stamps flagship station 770 CHQR AM. The guy doesn't sound rough around the edges at all. He can be direct & to the point. He knows football plain & simple & knows how to build a winner. Interesting that when the media here in Calgary want to get the scoop du jour on player personnel matters they don't ask Huff.They ask Murphy.

The Lawless comment about Murphy not being refined just smacks like the reason we passed on Lemar Durant & took Addision Richards instead because Durant is a quiet guy & didn't "interview well".  Guys like Walters were so busy trying to find fault with his personality that they totally ignored his talent & he passed right by them to the Stamps who gleefully snapped him up.

If the Bombers could get Murphy then passed because he wasn't "refined" then how stupid are they? Wait, don't answer that. I mean, if you want to take this a bit further & discuss Lawless then, how does he get a gig on the radio & is seen on tv as he has a demeanor & a voice better suited to work anywhere but the broadcast media. How refined does an overweight, wrinkled, middle aged man in a brushcut look? But hey, I ain't prejudging... ;)

I did like how Lawless laughed off the Chris Walby comments that Danny McManus should take over as GM as he's "just a scout". No management experience at all.

He was also the organizer of the Pacman Jones circus in Winnipeg with the other suspended WR from Detroit that he tried to bring in.

Well, considering he helped Huff draft guys like Lavertu, Jones, Craighead, Durant & others I'd not hold that against him. Jones is a ****** but he's starting in Cincinnatti. Brought in Rogers. Wilson, BLM, Fuller, a whole swack of starters on defense & kick returners like Tim Brown who was released by the Lions... 

Lawless was on TSN 1290 talking about Walter situation this morning.  He endorsed John Murphy, but said Murphy is a little rough around the edges, but if you could pair him with someone a little smoother, it'd be a great combo. 

I heard the Lawless interview this morning & what he said really makes no sense. I don't even know what that even means? I've heard Murphy on the radio here in Calgary being interviewed plenty in the past on the Stamps flagship station 770 CHQR AM. The guy doesn't sound rough around the edges at all. He can be direct & to the point. He knows football plain & simple & knows how to build a winner. Interesting that when the media here in Calgary want to get the scoop du jour on player personnel matters they don't ask Huff.They ask Murphy.

The Lawless comment about Murphy not being refined just smacks like the reason we passed on Lemar Durant & took Addision Richards instead because Durant is a quiet guy & didn't "interview well".  Guys like Walters were so busy trying to find fault with his personality that they totally ignored his talent & he passed right by them to the Stamps who gleefully snapped him up.

If the Bombers could get Murphy then passed because he wasn't "refined" then how stupid are they? Wait, don't answer that. I mean, if you want to take this a bit further & discuss Lawless then, how does he get a gig on the radio & is seen on tv as he has a demeanor & a voice better suited to work anywhere but the broadcast media. How refined does an overweight, wrinkled, middle aged man in a brushcut look? But hey, I ain't prejudging... ;)

I did like how Lawless laughed off the Chris Walby comments that Danny McManus should take over as GM as he's "just a scout". No management experience at all.

Lawless' comments are accurate. Murphy IS rough around the edges. It's been the knock on him for a very long time and it's a big reason why he hasn't already been given a GM opportunity. That being said, I don't even care. Hire him anyways.

Lawless' comments are accurate. Murphy IS rough around the edges. It's been the knock on him for a very long time and it's a big reason why he hasn't already been given a GM opportunity. That being said, I don't even care. Hire him anyways.

Neither do I. 

Well its sort of silly to say LAwless is wrong based on hearing Murphy give interviews on the radio.  Id assume Lawless has interacted with him more than most of us and has asked around about him.  Lawless saying he's rough around the edges sounds like what his internal rep might be. 

On the other hand I bet if asked Lawless' suggestion for the "smooth" partner for Murphy would be Taman.  And since Lawless seems to be pals with the guy, it wouldnt surprise me.  But it would make me puke.

I'm curious what the people who are saying they don't care if Murphy is rough around the edges thought of Mike Kelly.

And I'd say good riddance to Walters. In a vacuum, it always seems like he's making good moves and improving the team. But at this point I have to admit that nothing he's touched has had any success, right from when he was a Special Teams coordinator of a lousy special teams, to an assistant GM on a terrible team, to a GM of an increasingly terrible team. Where else but with the Bombers could someone follow that kind of career path with the on-field results we've seen?

Maybe it's impatience. But it seems like every other team can turn things around a lot faster than the Bombers ever can.  And avoid the years of lifeless blowouts too, while the GM with absolutely zero track record fixes things slowly.

Or if you want a more intelligent retort, Mack built a team that went to the great cup with buck pierce. Walters has not made the playoffs.

Yeah no one believed we had a chance in hell of winning it.....and we didn't. We were done from the start. That team had no business being in the championship. . Nice that we made it, but mediocre team still. Product of a weak league. That team today is 6-12

Does anyone think Brendan Taman is refined? The guy looked more like a street creature at times with a 3 day beard & hair that looked it hadn't been washed in a week. Like he was homeless. Anyone old enough to remember former Winnipeg Jets 1.0 GM Mike Smith? His hair was always dishevelled & he looked like he slept in the suits he wore. 

Does anyone think Brendan Taman is refined? The guy looked more like a street creature at times with a 3 day beard & hair that looked it hadn't been washed in a week. Like he was homeless. Anyone old enough to remember former Winnipeg Jets 1.0 GM Mike Smith? His hair was always dishevelled & he looked like he slept in the suits he wore. 

Taman looks like a homeless bum, but he's a pretty smooth talker...media loves him. 

Taman looks like a homeless bum, but he's a pretty smooth talker...media loves him. 

Maybe the United Way is looking for a spokesperson. 

Well its sort of silly to say LAwless is wrong based on hearing Murphy give interviews on the radio.  Id assume Lawless has interacted with him more than most of us and has asked around about him.  Lawless saying he's rough around the edges sounds like what his internal rep might be. 

On the other hand I bet if asked Lawless' suggestion for the "smooth" partner for Murphy would be Taman.  And since Lawless seems to be pals with the guy, it wouldnt surprise me.  But it would make me puke.

I wouldn't be completely opposed to that combo... as long as Murphy is calling the shots...

Do you mean a smooth operator?

Brendan-Taman.jpg

or someone a little rough around the edges?

regina-sk-august-04-2015-saskatchewan-ro

I really can't figure out why we would consider Murphy. At some point the Board of Directors will have to realize you take a big chance when you hire rookies to do a job. You don't even know if they have the talent and for sure no experience.   How many businesses do you know became very successful with a complete management set of rookies? You just have to look at our results over the last five years. The money we have wasted paying off contracts would have bought us some experienced and proven personnel. 

This year is most likely another write-off. It's pointless to blame the coaches and general managers because they were asked to do what they were not capable of doing mostly because of the lack of experience but also because of a lack of talent.  Then again, we missed out on our choices of picks and FA's over they years.

Just my opinion

Just curious, how many people who want Murphy if Walters leaves have criticized the Bombers in the past for hiring GMs and HCs with no previous experience. 

I don't think Taman & Murphy would want to work together. Murphy was part of the group that forced him out of Winnipeg.

There's a plus for Murphy.

He does have experience Jacquie, Read his bio. He's already doing the job that full time GMs do. He has since 2010.