Hufnagel going to Riders?

kelownabomberfan

The obvious point here is that it's a really unsubstantiated rumour at this stage.  But for kicks, here's an excerpt from Rod Pederson's (@sportscage) blog today:

4 - IN A HUFF:  Sportsnet's Arash Madani cranked the rumour mill on Wednesday saying the #1 gossip in the CFL these days is regarding John Hufnagel leaving Calgary to become head coach and GM in Saskatchewan.  I caution this is just rumour, but I'm not prepared to discount it at this stage either.  I've heard rumblings about this going back to last December.  Arash is going to drop a bigger bomb about this on CKRM's SportsCage TODAY and he asked me to hold off on saying anything more until he's had a chance to go on air with his findings.

Let's put it this way -- this rumour has more to do with Hufnagel perhaps wanting out of Calgary than it does with the Roughriders trying to woo him away.  The best thing I can say about it right now is ... John Hufnagel's built the Calgary Stampeders into the CFL's model franchise - two Grey Cup wins in seven seasons - and for anyone to else to try and steal the credit or question Hufnagel's methods, well then that person's an idiot.  Huff doesn't need to put up with somebody else's fragile ego at this stage of his life and career.

Stay tuned.  This will go on well into the off-season.

A lot of this - we're told - is coming out of the Argos' office.

If there's any reading between the lines to be done here, it's that Huffer's not ready to give up coaching (as Noeller suggests), and that the Stamps want to move onto Dickenson so that they don't have to lose him.

I don't care who the co-ordinator is... forcing Huffer upstairs now would be akin to forcing Wally upstairs in his prime. 

The thought of that happening literally makes me light headed, dizzy and sick to my stomach... I don't know how much more I could handle if Sask makes a quick turn around... I like Walters and O'Shea and I'm willing to give them another year... but if Hufnagel is looking to take the reigns of another team this off-season, I would drop those two in a heartbeat, double their combined salaries and offer it to Huff...

The idea mentioned above that he's not ready to give up coaching makes sense... and Calgary is in a fairly safe spot with arguably the best up-and-coming HC and GM in the game right now... Cgy would likely be fine going forward with Dickenson and Murphy taking over... 

I'd absolutely love Huffer back in Winnipeg and I'd be willing to 'overpay' him to get him here and to throw out all of our current coaches and GM if he were to take the position. It would be the same as when BC hired Buono and I'd expect the same results in year 2. 

One of the few times I'll ever agree with TBurg, but pretty much this.....and he's the only guy I'd do it for.