The Day Early Game Day Thread - TOR @ WPG

Honestly, I feel like with a healthy Drew Willy, that game isn't close... We left so many points on the board out there.. so many, Willy playing would have probably meant a Win for us easily. Our D played well enough to win... Marve played ok and for a guy making his first start showed potential but he did miss lots of throws out there... that one to denmark on the sidelines would have been a huge gain if he didn't float it so much. Willy plays and we win that game easily in my opinion. 

Sadly, Drew Willy won't be playing anytime soon if at all again this season.

Brutal play call.but you can't score 5 pts in the second half and expect to win.

Seems MB can't/won't/doesn't know how to adjust in the 2nd half. How many times has our O come out, looked pretty good if not great only to slow down and then come to a complete stand still as the game goes on. I get that Defenses can and do adjust. But why doesn't the Offence adjust to them as well?

They do.  I lean more towards the rookie QB puking his guts out and injuring his throwing hand having a huge impact.  He had a hell of a time going downfield and seemed a lot less willing to both stand in the pocket and extend plays after he hurt his hand.  One thing I've noticed Marve do when he hits a wall in every game he's played for us including pre-season is the chuck and duck.  At a certain point the hits change how he plays.

Brutal play call.but you can't score 5 pts in the second half and expect to win.

Seems MB can't/won't/doesn't know how to adjust in the 2nd half. How many times has our O come out, looked pretty good if not great only to slow down and then come to a complete stand still as the game goes on. I get that Defenses can and do adjust. But why doesn't the Offence adjust to them as well?

They do.  I lean more towards the rookie QB puking his guts out and injuring his throwing hand having a huge impact.  He had a hell of a time going downfield and seemed a lot less willing to both stand in the pocket and extend plays after he hurt his hand.  One thing I've noticed Marve do when he hits a wall in every game he's played for us including pre-season is the chuck and duck.  At a certain point the hits change how he plays.

Apparently the problem with Marve's had was a heat-related muscle cramp. That would tend to impact his throwing motion, so we are still not seeing his full potential.

Honestly, I feel like with a healthy Drew Willy, that game isn't close... We left so many points on the board out there.. so many, Willy playing would have probably meant a Win for us easily. Our D played well enough to win... Marve played ok and for a guy making his first start showed potential but he did miss lots of throws out there... that one to denmark on the sidelines would have been a huge gain if he didn't float it so much. Willy plays and we win that game easily in my opinion. 

Well he's not healthy, and that's why defence and special teams doesn't have much margin for error.  Massive errors?  We won't be overcoming those.

They do? In what game has our Offence been better in the 2nd half then it was in the 1st?

Has anyone else noticed a nice progression from Jake Thomas?... Seems he makes some nice plays when given the opportunity... I'm wondering if he might turn out to be a starter on the D-line... this is his 4th year in the league and he's still shy of 25 years old... I'd love to see him develop into a starter by next year...

Has anyone else noticed a nice progression from Jake Thomas?... Seems he makes some nice plays when given the opportunity... I'm wondering if he might turn out to be a starter on the D-line... this is his 4th year in the league and he's still shy of 25 years old... I'd love to see him develop into a starter by next year...

yup,  his name seems to come up almost every game in a good way. That tackle he made for a safety was awesome! I thought it should have gotten hit of the game instead of Adams hit on kackert, cause that running back was running down hill but thomas stopped him dead in the tracks and sat him down! Hopefully he continues to get better

No offence to Thomas but he is fine just where he is and would not be a desired option as a full-time starter. If he was to come in and become one, we would has seriously regressed.

In a perfect scenario I would rather him being depth on the PR or as the 2 scratches on the 46 man roster and we had a better option

I like Thomas but I also find it odd that we've never even tried to push or even replace him. Since Thomas was drafted in 2012 we have only drafted two DL - Mulumba and Ettore Lattanzio who we tried to convert to a FB, then cut, and who is now getting sacks for Ottawa.

To be fair, he has one sack for Ottawa. A meaningless one late in a blowout game.

I like Thomas but I also find it odd that we've never even tried to push or even replace him. Since Thomas was drafted in 2012 we have only drafted two DL - Mulumba and Ettore Lattanzio who we tried to convert to a FB, then cut, and who is now getting sacks for Ottawa.

To be fair, he has one sack for Ottawa. A meaningless one late in a blowout game.

Yeah but my point sounded stronger the way I said it.

No offence to Thomas but he is fine just where he is and would not be a desired option as a full-time starter. If he was to come in and become one, we would has seriously regressed.

In a perfect scenario I would rather him being depth on the PR or as the 2 scratches on the 46 man roster and we had a better option

Have you looked at the rosters?  Thomas is in the top half of NI DL who are playing.  Obviously he's not an every down guy and would only ever play that role if 2-3 injuries happened in game, so basically never.  But for 25 snaps a game he's a very good player.

What separates an every-down player from a 25-snap-a-game player? Is it just raw endurance?

Basically.  Also strengths and weaknesses.  Better vs run or pass type stuff, or a specific role.  But clearly for most guys if you can limit their snaps a bit you're going to get better production from them when they are in the game and have guys relatively fresh in the 4th quarter in terms of DL.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any DL playing more than about 3/4 snaps on either side of the border nowadays, you'd be looking at JJ Watt and guys in that echelon.

hes the equivilant of the NBA's 6th man. comes in and does excellent in reduced reps.. seems always during run plays and he has a nose for ball carriers and rushing thru blocks..

but i agree full time would be bad.

Have you looked at the rosters?  Thomas is in the top half of NI DL who are playing.  Obviously he's not an every down guy and would only ever play that role if 2-3 injuries happened in game, so basically never.  But for 25 snaps a game he's a very good player.

In my defense I didn't say Thomas should be a starter now... I asked if anyone thinks he could progress into a starter over the next year or so... I sure would like to see 2 starting Canadians on the DL...

What separates an every-down player from a 25-snap-a-game player? Is it just raw endurance?

Basically.  Also strengths and weaknesses.  Better vs run or pass type stuff, or a specific role.  But clearly for most guys if you can limit their snaps a bit you're going to get better production from them when they are in the game and have guys relatively fresh in the 4th quarter in terms of DL.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any DL playing more than about 3/4 snaps on either side of the border nowadays, you'd be looking at JJ Watt and guys in that echelon.

There are no other guys in that echelon right now...

Jake Thomas is this year who he's always been....a very good DL who is massively underrated by this board. He goes about his job in an unspectacular fashion, getting **** done. He's never going to be an elite superstar, but he's never gonna **** up that badly. I'd take a whole batch of guys like that on any of my teams.

Jake Thomas is this year who he's always been....a very good DL who is massively underrated by this board. He goes about his job in an unspectacular fashion, getting **** done. He's never going to be an elite superstar, but he's never gonna **** up that badly. I'd take a whole batch of guys like that on any of my teams.

based on his constant starting of guys like Peach so would O'Shea