Mulumba Looking good at Packer Camp

Jpan85

ok... thanks for that... as far as im concerned we're never going to see Mulumba up here...

Bilukidi is the most likely candidate to come help our defence IMO.

They did select Carl Davis at DT in the 3rd round of the draft and DE Zedarius Smith in round 4. So that bodes well for us IMO.

The Competition: Defensive Ends

"The Competition” is a series that breaks down every position battle leading up to training camp. Below are the defensive ends:

Returning Players

Chris Cantyicon-article-link.gif (6-foot-7, 332 pounds, 11th season)
DeAngelo Tysonicon-article-link.gif (6-2, 315, 4th season)
Christo Bilukidiicon-article-link.gif (6-5, 320, 4th season)
Kapron Lewis-Mooreicon-article-link.gif (6-4, 310, 3rd season)
Brent Urbanicon-article-link.gif (6-7, 295, 2nd season)

Veteran Newcomers

Zach Thompsonicon-article-link.gif (6-5, 265, 1st season)

Rookies

Brennen Beyericon-article-link.gif (6-3, 266, undrafted)

Projected Starters

Canty is the 11-year veteran leader of the group, entering his third season in Baltimore. The Ravens initially cut him this offseason to save salary-cap room, but then re-signed him just a couple weeks later. Canty made it clear at mandatory minicamp that he expects to retain his starting job in 2015, saying, “I’ve been a starter in this league for a decade. I don’t really see that changing.”  While Canty expects to remain in the starting lineup, he will have plenty of competition for playing time from young players like Lewis-Moore and Urban.

Key Role Players

The Ravens are loaded with young talent on the defensive front, and the coaching staff will look for creative ways to get a good mix of players on the field. After suffering season-ending injuries during training camp last year, Urban and Lewis-Moore are now eager to get on the field for their first NFL action. Tyson has established himself as a reliable defender who can stuff the run and provide some pass rush, and he will likely continue in that role. Bilukidi has imposing size as a run stuffer on early downs, but an ankle injury shortened his season last year. 

Most Anticipated Battle

Urban and Lewis-Moore are the players to watch in training camp. Both of them have high ceilings if they can stay healthy. Lewis-Moore is going into his third season and has yet to play a regular-season snap. He tore his ACL in the final game of his college career and then tore his Achilles in training camp last season. Urban suffered a torn ACL at about the same time. They both returned to full strength for the offseason practices and reminded people why coaches were so excited about them. They will challenge Canty for snaps, and the Ravens will find a way to get them involved if they live up to their expectations.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/The-Competition-Defensive-Ends/dc19cbe4-a61a-4d48-8f5c-10d46308de23

ok... thanks for that... as far as im concerned we're never going to see Mulumba up here...

He's been in the NFL for a grand total of 2 seasons.

The Argos won't have been happy that Cory Greenwood played 5 in the NFL, but when he finally ran out of opportunities there, they were still happy they drafted him.  Just like Montreal is glad they drafted Phillip Blake.

Mulamba won't run out of opportunities to find NFL work this year or next.  Even if he doesn't make the Packers (he will), there are 31 other teams to call.  Eventually there will be some combination of salary, internal politics and competition at his spot that forces him out.  And maybe by then he's stashed enough away that risking a debilitating injury for $120k in the CFL isn't worth it to him.

Maybe Mulamba shows up in 2017, just in time to fill the hole Westerman creates by exploring free agency.

From what I've seen, unless a draft pick strings together a solid 10 year career in the NFL (Israel Idonije), has a career ending injury, or totally becomes disenchanted with football (Danny Watkins), the chances of them making an appearance in the CFL actually seem pretty good.  Because most of these guys are still bubble players in the NFL, and most of them want to keep playing football.

Bilukidi has used up most of the opportunities he'll get.  Having him in a Bomber uniform before the end of next season is quite plausible.

He's been in the NFL for a grand total of 2 seasons.

The Argos won't have been happy that Cory Greenwood played 5 in the NFL, but when he finally ran out of opportunities there, they were still happy they drafted him.  Just like Montreal is glad they drafted Phillip Blake.

Mulamba won't run out of opportunities to find NFL work this year or next.  Even if he doesn't make the Packers (he will), there are 31 other teams to call.  Eventually there will be some combination of salary, internal politics and competition at his spot that forces him out.  And maybe by then he's stashed enough away that risking a debilitating injury for $120k in the CFL isn't worth it to him.

Maybe Mulamba shows up in 2017, just in time to fill the hole Westerman creates by exploring free agency.

From what I've seen, unless a draft pick strings together a solid 10 year career in the NFL (Israel Idonije), has a career ending injury, or totally becomes disenchanted with football (Danny Watkins), the chances of them making an appearance in the CFL actually seem pretty good.  Because most of these guys are still bubble players in the NFL, and most of them want to keep playing football.

Bilukidi has used up most of the opportunities he'll get.  Having him in a Bomber uniform before the end of next season is quite plausible.

Absolutely. Guys sitting on the fringe of the roster or the PR are not generally lifers in the NFL. Every year a new draft class, that NFL GMs are fiercely loyal too, come out and challenge for jobs. Mulumba could be gone this year yet....who knows. Week one of camp standout to being released at the end happens every year in every TC. As the competition gets tougher and the bodies start breaking down, the cream will rise to the top. Maybe Mulumba is part of that cream but maybe he is the beneficiary of a slow start to camp. Who knows.

I will say this, he is a fringe NFL player. At some point they will have to pay him more than the league minimum. When that happens, he may be shown the door. Also, like John Chick, if he gets nicked up again and misses time the Packers may just decide to move in another direction even though they like the guy. Just won't want to continue investing in him with no return. So many variables, and so many possibilities, that could bring Mulumba to the CFL.

Take a look at a guy like Kyries Hebert. Starter for the Bengals and was their ST ace one year, the team was extremely high on him. A year and a half later he's back in the CFL. The game can pass you by in the blink of an eye if you go in a slump and have a bad few games.

Calling Mulumba a wasted pick is really premature.

All I know is I'd rather be sitting here talking about Andy Mulumba as a pipeline pick as opposed to wishing Steven Lumbala would come out of retirement or Corey Watman would become useful. And I know I'd rather be looking forward to the potential of Christo Bilukidi as opposed to wishing Billy Peach, Matt Norman or Bo Adebayo would suddenly wake up one day and be good football players.

The beauty of Mulumba is that if he does find his way here, his position translates well to here.. Rush end or WIL. There wouldnt be an insanely high learning curve imo.

If its this season, next season or even 2017.. He will shake down eventually..

All I know is I'd rather be sitting here talking about Andy Mulumba as a pipeline pick as opposed to wishing Steven Lumbala would come out of retirement or Corey Watman would become useful. And I know I'd rather be looking forward to the potential of Christo Bilukidi as opposed to wishing Billy Peach, Matt Norman or Bo Adebayo would suddenly wake up one day and be good football players.

All I know is Edem would have been starting for this team for the last two seasons

Funny you pick the two draft pick busts to compare with Mulumba instead of the other six starters.

All I know is I'd rather be sitting here talking about Andy Mulumba as a pipeline pick as opposed to wishing Steven Lumbala would come out of retirement or Corey Watman would become useful. And I know I'd rather be looking forward to the potential of Christo Bilukidi as opposed to wishing Billy Peach, Matt Norman or Bo Adebayo would suddenly wake up one day and be good football players.

All I know is Edem would have been starting for this team for the last two seasons

Funny you pick the two draft pick busts to compare with Mulumba instead of the other six starters.

I doubt Edem would have been a starter here last season or this one. You would rather have Edem at safety than Leggett.

All I know is I'd rather be sitting here talking about Andy Mulumba as a pipeline pick as opposed to wishing Steven Lumbala would come out of retirement or Corey Watman would become useful. And I know I'd rather be looking forward to the potential of Christo Bilukidi as opposed to wishing Billy Peach, Matt Norman or Bo Adebayo would suddenly wake up one day and be good football players.

I doubt Edem would have been a starter here last season or this one. You would rather have Edem at safety than Leggett.

Would've rather had Edem than Cauchy Muamba or Dan West...  either way, at least he's on the roster

Maybe Mulumba shows up in five years but Bombers needed help three years ago

Would've rather had Edem than Cauchy Muamba or Dan West...  either way, at least he's on the roster

Maybe Mulumba shows up in five years but Bombers needed help three years ago

Cauchy starting in edmonton doh..

Christo Bilukidi: After playing more than 200 snaps as a rookie with the Raiders in 2012, Christo has played sparingly the last 2 seasons with Oakland, Cincinnati, and Baltimore. He played just 47 snaps last season (4%), so he doesn’t have the live-fire resume of Lawrence Guy, however Bilukidi signed a 2-year deal this offseason for $1.5 million total. That provides 2 years of cheap control and effectively Bilukidi has similar option value to Guy (see above) or a 3rd-year player. His signing bonus was only $80,000, so if the Ravens’ defensive line still looks as good and deep as it seems now at the end of the preseason, Bilukidi is a candidate to be traded for a player at a position of greater need or low-round selection. Probability to make the team: 80%

Source... http://www.chatsports.com/baltimore-ravens/a/roster-bubble-4th-5th-year-players-2-11661903

Andy Mulumba more than just a healthy body: When the Packers had five linebackers sitting out due to injury on Saturday, Andy Mulumba was working opposite Julius Peppers with the Packers first-string defense.

It would appear Mulumba wasn't just a stop-gap replacement, because he continued to work with the starters on Monday despite the return of four linebackers to practice, according to Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel via Twitter.

A good story got better as Mulumba has not only returned to full health after last year's torn ACL, he's actually making plays during training camp and looking like he deserves to be a starter.

If this is accurate, we might not see Mulumba for quite a while, if ever.

http://gnb.247sports.com/Bolt/Five-knee-jerk-reactions-to-Day-9-of-Packers-training-camp-38663702

Andy Mulumba more than just a healthy body: When the Packers had five linebackers sitting out due to injury on Saturday, Andy Mulumba was working opposite Julius Peppers with the Packers first-string defense.

It would appear Mulumba wasn't just a stop-gap replacement, because he continued to work with the starters on Monday despite the return of four linebackers to practice, according to Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel via Twitter.

A good story got better as Mulumba has not only returned to full health after last year's torn ACL, he's actually making plays during training camp and looking like he deserves to be a starter.

If this is accurate, we might not see Mulumba for quite a while, if ever.

http://gnb.247sports.com/Bolt/Five-knee-jerk-reactions-to-Day-9-of-Packers-training-camp-38663702

No worries though. He's 25, even if he comes to the CFL after 2-3 yrs, barring any major injuries, we can still get 2-3 yrs from him.

Anybody watched the pre-season games especially the Packers' and Ravens' ?

NFL stats says Bilukidi didn't do anything although I'm not sure how much he played.

Mulumba doesn't have any stats to show either but the logs said he assisted on 3 tackles.