The Winnipeg old boys club.

Pitthead

I love how as soon as there is some sort of link between staff and/or players, fans assume they're automatically best buddies and the only reason they got the job was due to that relationship.

I'm sure there are times when that theory holds true at least a bit, but holy hell guys its a 9-team league and everyone knows everyone at this point.

Once, just once, I wish the Bombers would hire the best candidate not the best friend

Miller hired Walters - not best friends

Walters hired O'Shea - not best friends

O'Shea hired Bellefuille - not best friends

O'Shea hired Hall - not best friends

Exactly who are you referring to.

Miller hired Walters & did no executive search. Walters hired his old college roommate. That's the stuff I'm talking about Jacquie. Seems to be an absolute refusal to start fresh.

According to Lawless, Miller spoke to at least 2 others about the GM position (one being Higgins).

Roommates? Walters and O'Shea were teammates for 1 season.

Well,I'd like to see that quote so we finally know. I read after Miller hired Walters back in December of 2013 that he didn't do an executive search or much of one because he said he got to know Walters & felt he was best for the job. Who is right & who is wrong? IF that is true, that wasn't Miller's mandate. He was hired to do a proper search & if he didn't then he should have done one. 

Pretty sure they just cleaned house. The boys aren't that old

The expression "old boys club" or "old boys network" refers to a group whose dominant characteristic is cronyism. It has nothing to do with one's age. Until cronyism is eradicated in the Bomber organization, this team is doomed forever.

And how can you demonstrate cronyism when the majority organization's staff has only been here two years? That doesn't scream cronyism to me. I wasn't referring to their age.

Once, just once, I wish someone could write a post without creating facts to justify the narrative floating around in their head.

Yea its like people dont proofread their thoughts before subjecting us to them. whatever weird concept that makes a sliver of sense to them after 8 degrees of coincidence and assumptions and boom.. its just gotta be that way lol.

Pretty sure they just cleaned house. The boys aren't that old

The expression "old boys club" or "old boys network" refers to a group whose dominant characteristic is cronyism. It has nothing to do with one's age. Until cronyism is eradicated in the Bomber organization, this team is doomed forever.

And how can you demonstrate cronyism when the majority organization's staff has only been here two years? That doesn't scream cronyism to me. I wasn't referring to their age.

EXACTLY. How would 3 different regimes with different gm and coaching staffs ALL follow in a previous groups footsteps?!

What an asisine concept...

Oh and why no big red panic button post people. get with it

What really irks me about this theory is that it flies directly against logic.

Imagine you're hired as CEO or GM or HC of a football team. You're gonna want to keep that job and you're gonna want to win some freaking football games. When you're looking to hire other positions, you will certainly consider people you know and/or share similar viewpoints on football. But you're not gonna hire someone just cause he's a buddy, and risk having that person bring the team down. You're going to do everything you can to find the right people.

Now go back to the real situation here, except remember that the people that rise to success are often the most driven and most competitive people in the sport.

Imagine you're hired as CEO or GM or HC of a football team. You're gonna want to keep that job and you're gonna want to win some freaking football games. When you're looking to hire other positions, you will certainly consider people you know and/or share similar viewpoints on football. But you're not gonna hire someone just cause he's a buddy, and risk having that person bring the team down. You're going to do everything you can to find the right people.

You'd think, right?

Once, just once, I wish the Bombers would hire the best candidate not the best friend

Miller hired Walters - not best friends

Walters hired O'Shea - not best friends

O'Shea hired Bellefuille - not best friends

O'Shea hired Hall - not best friends

Exactly who are you referring to.

Miller hired Walters & did no executive search. Walters hired his old college roommate. That's the stuff I'm talking about Jacquie. Seems to be an absolute refusal to start fresh.

According to Lawless, Miller spoke to at least 2 others about the GM position (one being Higgins).

Roommates? Walters and O'Shea were teammates for 1 season.

Well,I'd like to see that quote so we finally know. I read after Miller hired Walters back in December of 2013 that he didn't do an executive search or much of one because he said he got to know Walters & felt he was best for the job. Who is right & who is wrong? IF that is true, that wasn't Miller's mandate. He was hired to do a proper search & if he didn't then he should have done one. 

Excerpts from an October 30, 2013 column by Lawless:

Walters is a solid candidate. If any of the league's established GMs, Wally Buono, Jim Popp, Barker, Brendan Taman or John Hufnagel were available it would make sense for Miller to wait. But none are available.

Buono told me on Tuesday, "When I make a commitment, I honour it." He's locked up until 2017.

Taman has another year on his deal, Barker recently re-upped, Popp is signed through next season and Hufnagel is signed through 2016.

Miller, who has already spoken with Tom Higgins and Rick Worman, is working the football world to see if there are any off-the-radar candidates.

Higgins is a former GM and head coach in the CFL now employed as the league's director of officiating and told the Free Press on Tuesday he is interested in the position.

Worman has held various offensive coaching posts in the league and is currently employed as quarterbacks coach at Mississippi Valley State University.

"I would say I wouldn't disagree with you that he has a lot of those skills," said Miller. "But at the same time, I said from the beginning, I would be sure to take a look and evaluate all the opportunities available to the Winnipeg Football Club. Kyle will definitely be a part of this organization. Saying that, Kyle is absolutely in the running for GM."

I won't both with a link since the column is behind the pay wall.

The hiring policies of this organization, over the past few decades can be viewed with a rightful degree of skepticism.

1996 -  Winnipeg Blue Bombers board decides to relieve curmudgeon Coach and GM, Cal Murphy in favour of the sexy, hip  young coach on the harley resulting in two of the worst seasons in Bomber history.

1999 - boards hired Lyle Bauer as GM and CEO. While Bauer does some good things like bringing the Bombers debt levels to manageable levels and increase season ticket levels and corporate sponsorships to a respecatable amount, he inserted himself into the decision-making process of recently promoted GM Brendan Taman in 2004 ordering him to fire Dave Ritchie.  He followed this up in 2008, ordering the firing of Doug Berry in favor of his buddy Mike Kelly, leading to the disastrous 2009 season in which Kelly traded away half the Bombers' upcoming draft picks and alienated the fan base resulting in the lowest crowds seen since the late 90s.  Oh, and the team missed the playoffs as well followed by Kelly's arrest and ultimate firing.  Bauer leaves for the greener pastures of Calgary around this time.

2010 - In its infinite wisdom, the Bomber board decides to hire a former director of player personal, Joe Mack, who hasn't been seen in these parts, or any other CFL city in 22 years.  A curious hire, Mack fails to deliver on his promise of delivering the franchise a long-term solution at QB relying on broken-down Buck Pierce to lead the team during his entire 4-year tenure.  Canadian drafting leads to mixed results, recruiting from the US is adequate, but free agency proves to be his greatest downfall as he fails to significantly upgrade areas of significant weakness, O-line and QB.  Needless to say he proves to be a terrible team builder leading the team to 4-14, 10-8, 6-12 and 3-15 team seasons.  His hirings for the head coach position are highly questionable, most notably the disasterous 1.5 year reign of Tim Burke.

2012- The hiring of Garth Buchko as CEO who lasted all of a year and will forever be known as the man who guaranteed the Bombers would be playing at Investors Group Field in 2012.  Another curious hiring of an individual who appears to have been unqualified for the job.  It appears that being the director of a radio station that broadcast Bomber games was good enough for the suits on top.

2013 - Bombers bring in failed special teams coach, Kyle Walters, acting as interim general manager in the wake of the Joe Mack firing, with assurances from up top that the Bombers will extensively search for a GM come the off-season.  Sure enough, in the off season, after this  "extensive search" Kyle Walter is hired.  His near 2-year reign as GM has been a mixed bag - high-priced free agent acquisitions Nick Moore and Korey Banks failed to impress(first year) or were MIA while Stanley Bryant has seen middling results.  Trades for the likes of Chris Randle and Dominic Picard have improved the Bombers at those respective positions on the field.  While Walters should be commended for doing what his predecessor failed to do, sign a young up-and-coming QB in Drew Willy, there was really no other options for both the GM and the QB for the starter's spot.  All other teams had their Qb positions filled with Burris and Collaros having rebuked the young GM in favour of teams elsewhere.  The big concern with this GM is his inability to recruit replacement players from colleges and the NFL down south, most noticeably at linebacker and the defensive line.

Will add something about Miller tomorrow....

Funny you mention Doug berry.

Why was he fired after three seasons then?

We made the playoffs every year under him.

I mentioned Berry based on his stubborn and unwavering faith in Serna. Didn't win a cup and in Berry's last year had the worst kicker in the league by a long shot. It takes ALL phases of the game to win a cup. Sacrifice one phase of the game based on personal loyalty = no cup.

Yet berry was the coach who finally had the guts to get rid of horrible Westwood after years of futility.

Funny you mention Doug berry.

Why was he fired after three seasons then?

We made the playoffs every year under him.

I mentioned Berry based on his stubborn and unwavering faith in Serna. Didn't win a cup and in Berry's last year had the worst kicker in the league by a long shot. It takes ALL phases of the game to win a cup. Sacrifice one phase of the game based on personal loyalty = no cup.

Yet berry was the coach who finally had the guts to get rid of horrible Westwood after years of futility.

...and took all kinds of flack for benching a 58% kicker (at the time)

Lol the reason we didn't do well wasn't because Lefors!!  Even Glenn in that offense would of been killed!

IIRC Barrin Simpson said we would have won 10 games if we'd had a QB that year.

Barrin Simpson should have turned his energies to blocking on punts rather than opinionating.

Lol the reason we didn't do well wasn't because Lefors!!  Even Glenn in that offense would of been killed!

Barrin Simpson should have turned his energies to blocking on punts rather than opinionating.

Shut your mouth... his is the only jersery i have and wear,, Mainly because it was on sale for 40$ but thats besides the point.

Lol the reason we didn't do well wasn't because Lefors!! Even Glenn in that offense would of been killed!

I believe Barrin would be wrong. A normal system would of helped the team out immensely.

Wow. Judging by all the comments speaking out against the idea that cronyism is a  problem over at WBB and has been for several decades, I guess I just have to admit that I am wrong and all the experts are right.

Judging by all the comments it is clear that the WBB organization is a paragon of transparency and the poster child for how to run a true meritocracy.

How silly of me to think otherwise.

I guess the past 25 years of frustration and futility is a result of something else.

Perhaps it is simply because there is merely an inherent unexplainable suckiness to  this city and this team.

Yeah, that's the ticket. The reason we suck is because we just simply suck and no other explanations are necessary. Thank you everyone for clearing that up once and for all.

Probably has everything to do with the sometimes brown water that comes out of Winnipeg taps and absolutely nothing to do with something so rare and far fetched as good ole fashioned cronyism.

Oh well. My bad for ever imagining something so unheard of.  

Hey no reason to get all salty because people shredded your flimsy argument and exposed it for the nonsense it was. There are lots of reasons why this team hasn't won a Grey Cup in 25 years, cronyism isn't one of them. 

Back to the drawing board, come up with some other crack pot theory maybe it will be better received. 

If you can't handle being wrong internet forums aren't the place to post crappy theories. 

Well 17to85 oh wise and learned one.

What's your theory?

Inherent suckiness or brown water?

Let me guess, you also believe that elected governments always look out for the peoples' best interests and that big corporations are altruistic entities just always working toward the betterment of society.

How gullible!

Get your head out of the sand why don't you.

I just love all the "geniuses" on this board...long on criticism and bereft of anything resembling rational thought or explanantion.

Hmm. Long on criticism and bereft of anything resembling rational thought or explanation? Kind of like your original post about the Cronyism I guess???

Seriously, Heres some facts... Bombers have been to a few (more than 2 for sure) grey cups in the last 24 years... They haven't won tho. One year they were 14-4 and lost to an 8-10 calgary team, one year their starting QB got hurt and barely lost to sask who wasn't playing a QB who got his first ever start that game. Bombers have been to multiple grey cup games but just haven't won. This idea that the team has been dead awful for 24 years is just bullcrap. They have been good, at times the best team in the league through the regular season... that 14-4 team sure was, but they just haven't won for whatever reason. It's not cronyism, It's more like the inability to show up for the big game... I mean really. If we weren't in several grey cups, perhaps i could get behind this cronyism idea or if we have just been bottom feeders for 24 years or whatever it is, i could get behind it but... reality, we have had really good teams over the years, we have been to the cup several times over the drought, we just haven't won. 

You know what it is? Players choking at the worst possible times, players getting injured at the worst possible times, kickers missing fgs at the worst possible times, Players (Roberts) staying out too late partying the night b4 (if rumors are true). 

It's not Cronyism, LOL that's ridiculous. It's just as simple as... we have been to the dance multiple times in the last 24 years or so, but.. what happens is when we get there, we tend to fall on our faces. It is what it is. Sports man, some games you win, some you lose.