The Winnipeg old boys club.

Pitthead

It seems one of the many problems with the Winnipeg organization is the problem of what can best be termed cronyism. It seems every season the team gets saddled with either players or coaches based on personal relationships rather than merit, at great expense to the team’s performance. Remember how Doug Berry was so enamored with Alexis Serna and his 60% average? My son and I used to joke that Serna must be giving out special favours in the locker room if you know what I mean. How else could you justify keeping him as long as Winnipeg did?

After that Mike Kelly brought over his personal pal Stefan Lefors and we all saw how that turned out. Then you have Mike O’Shea and his best buddy Etcheverry providing the worst defence in the league. Now we have Bellefeuille and his buddy Brohm providing zero depth at QB. I’m sure there are countless other examples but I think you get the point.

I suppose in any organization it’s common to seek out talent amongst one’s own personal sphere of known contacts but one of the problems in Winnipeg is the unjustified loyalty to the personal friends brought in that are so obviously not getting the job done. I’m not sure how it works on other teams but it seems that if you look at teams like Edmonton or even Montreal, when their number one QB is down, they seem to have plenty of depth at QB to get the job done without missing a beat. I can’t remember the last time Winnipeg had depth at QB. Clemens/Hufnagel perhaps?

Either way, until the Bombers stop being run like an old boys club and operate as a meritocracy, I really can’t see them winning a Grey Cup perhaps for another 25 years. It’s fine to bring in people you know but if the people you bring in can’t get the job done, then one’s personal loyalty must be set aside and one should behave professionally and cut loose the dead weight. That never seems to happen until the end of another losing season when it’s already too late. Then the following year, a whole new set of staff comes in and brings in their personal little pet projects and their best buddies and the entire cycle begins all over.

The Bombers will remain perpetual losers until the organization is transformed into a true meritocracy. How to achieve that is the million dollar question.

Whether they are 2-3 or 5-0 is irrevelant. I'm talking global trends over years of performance, not just the last 5 weeks. I'm talking about one of the major contributing factors for the 25 year Grey Cup drought that will continue for another 25 years until the organization is run strictly on merit and not on misplaced personal loyalty.

Are Mike O'Shea and Etcheverry best buddies? I seem to remember reports we were going after Stubler and others before we ever landed on Etch

The media often reported that Etcheverry was O' Shea's mentor and friend. I stick to my original post. Anyone who doesn't think that the team has a long history of cronyism is barking up the wrong tree. It goes a long way to help explain the 25 year GC drought (soon to be 50 years unless something is done about the old boys club) and the last several years of utter futility. I'm not suggesting for one second that every single player and every single coach are part of some private self serving club. I am suggesting, however that very often key players and staff at key positions are often brought in based on friendship and loyalty and NOT necessarily on merit to the detriment of the entire team. Serna was Berry's boy and as a result the kicking game suffered. Etcheverry was O'Shea's boy hence the worst defence in the league, Brohm is Bellefeuille's boy, hence the total lack of depth at QB.

All it takes is one single player in a key position (for example kicker, backup QB) who is there not on merit but on personal friendship and loyalty to ruin the party for everyone. Until the issue of cronyism in the organization is resolved once and for all, this team will continue on its path of futility lndefinitely.

Are Mike O'Shea and Etcheverry best buddies? I seem to remember reports we were going after Stubler and others before we ever landed on Etch

The media often reported that Etcheverry was O' Shea's mentor and friend. I stick to my original post. Anyone who doesn't think that the team has a long history of nepotism is barking up the wrong tree. It goes a long way to help explain the 25 year GC drought (soon to be 50 years unless something is done about the old boys club) and the last several years of utter futility. I'm not suggesting for one second that every single player and every single coach are part of some private self serving club. I am suggesting, however that very often key players and staff at key positions are often brought in based on friendship and loyalty and NOT necessarily on merit to the detriment of the entire team. Serna was Berry's boy and as a result the kicking game suffered. Etcheverry was O'Shea's boy hence the worst defence in the league, Brohm is Bellefeuille's boy, hence the total lack of depth at QB.

All it takes is one single player in a key position (for example kicker, backup QB) who is there not on merit but on personal friendship and loyalty to ruin the party for everyone. Until the issue of nepotism in the organization is resolved once and for all, this team will continue on its path of futility lndefinitely.

Phew, thanks for coming here and clarifying things for me.

Funny you mention Doug berry.

Why was he fired after three seasons then?

We made the playoffs every year under him.

I mentioned Berry based on his stubborn and unwavering faith in Serna. Didn't win a cup and in Berry's last year had the worst kicker in the league by a long shot. It takes ALL phases of the game to win a cup. Sacrifice one phase of the game based on personal loyalty = no cup.

Pretty sure they just cleaned house. The boys aren't that old

The expression "old boys club" or "old boys network" refers to a group whose dominant characteristic is cronyism. It has nothing to do with one's age. Until cronyism is eradicated in the Bomber organization, this team is doomed forever.

I agree.  I never want coaches to bring in people they are comfortable working with.  Once they have learn each other's wives names, it's time to move on.

Was thinking that if they had the other guys phone number in his cell, sure sign of cronyism. It's a slippery slope once they have a meal together. A second meal, heads should roll.

What I remember of Berry was him hating Serna and causing Serna to lose confidence. Far from what is being suggested. Plus, O'Shea did fire Etch. I don't think firing him during the season would have salvaged much anyhow. I'm not sure the cronyism still exists. It's to early to tell with this management. I don't think O'Shea should be fired anytime soon, but I did wonder in a curious way if Walters would be able to pull the trigger if need be

We went after Stubler, Washington, Steinaurer and a couple other before hiring Etch.

Guess when you fire coaches every year or 2 nobody wants to come here.

We went after Stubler, Washington, Steinaurer and a couple other before hiring Etch.
Guess when you fire coaches every year or 2 nobody wants to come here.

And if someone you hired was your 5th choice, where's the cronyism?

I don't care what sport it is but.. you can name a coach and he's gonna bring in guys he is familiar with, it's honestly more surprising when they don't. Richie Hall came in and brought his Defensive Assistants with him too, it happens in every sport really.. Hockey,Football, Name it.. it happens. I don't think your coaches need to be best buddies with each other but it probably helps if they feel comfortable with each other for sure. 

Once, just once, I wish the Bombers would hire the best candidate not the best friend

Miller hired Walters - not best friends

Walters hired O'Shea - not best friends

O'Shea hired Bellefuille - not best friends

O'Shea hired Hall - not best friends

Exactly who are you referring to.

Miller hired Walters & did no executive search. Walters hired his old college roommate. That's the stuff I'm talking about Jacquie. Seems to be an absolute refusal to start fresh.

Once, just once, I wish the Bombers would hire the best candidate not the best friend

Miller hired Walters - not best friends

Walters hired O'Shea - not best friends

O'Shea hired Bellefuille - not best friends

O'Shea hired Hall - not best friends

Exactly who are you referring to.

Miller hired Walters & did no executive search. Walters hired his old college roommate. That's the stuff I'm talking about Jacquie. Seems to be an absolute refusal to start fresh.

According to Lawless, Miller spoke to at least 2 others about the GM position (one being Higgins).

Roommates? Walters and O'Shea were teammates for 1 season.