How does everybody feel about this "coverage"

Mike

Could this terse reporting be a reaction to the closed-mouth approach of our current head coach who talks but usually really says nothing?

Not MOS's job to do the reporter's jobs for them.  They have eyes and can watch practice.  They have questions for players.  They have sources...or should (though maybe these clowns have no sources).

Using tweets as clickbait makes some sense, but I can imagine what the reaction would be to: "Who's making great catches today in practice?  Check out my article in tomorrow's paper.".  or "Is Willy looking good? Check out my report"  or "What a great INT!!!  Check out my column".  No reason they should give it away for nothing.  It'd be great if some tweeting fans were there to provide their insight though.

I think Bob Irvin has passed his Good Before date. He was a very good reporter but like most once you retire things that were once important now seem very pedestrian. 

How times have changed! Maybe it's not time but more the responsibilities of people in it. 

Friesen is tweeting at me.  Im probably the least knowledgeable football fan here.  Please feel free to jump in to the tweet convo.  lol

Seems like a reasonable question to me.  If you are tweeting that his coverage is terrible then you must know what you'd rather see.

It's not reasonable coming from Friesen.  Even if you told him what you'd like to see, he's already admitted he's not watching so what can he tell you?  It would be more reasonable if it came from Bob.

Friesen is tweeting at me.  Im probably the least knowledgeable football fan here.  Please feel free to jump in to the tweet convo.  lol

Seems like a reasonable question to me.  If you are tweeting that his coverage is terrible then you must know what you'd rather see.

Silence would be better than bragging about doing nothing.

But since you asked ... what would I like to see?

Any emphasis on a particular area compared to other days or weeks? They're there every day, they must notice trends (if they were actually watching of course)

Kohlert is back from injury after a long layoff - how does he look? Any brace or wrap? Does he look like he's struggling with anything or is he a full go?

Paul Friesen just wrote a huge column blasting the Bombers for letting Willy play so soon after a concussion but I've never heard any comments on how he looks - which in this case, I will assume means he looks great because if he didn't, no doubt Friesen would be jumping at the opportunity to say we're mishandling things.

Da'rel Scott and Patrick Neufeld just started practicing again this week - what units are they lining up with? Are they seeing any work with the first or second units.

Injury updates on Nate Collins or Troy Stoudermire - Stoudermire especially is in that zone where he could be back soon and yet, we haven't heard anything.

There was apparently a new guy working with the RB / REC crews last week occasionally - any update on if he's still there or who he is?

Is JFG still running with the 1s or are Richards/Bastien stealing any reps after JFG's rough Thursday?

Just a start. One of those would be amazing.

But since you asked ... what would I like to see?

Any emphasis on a particular area compared to other days or weeks? They're there every day, they must notice trends (if they were actually watching of course)

Kohlert is back from injury after a long layoff - how does he look? Any brace or wrap? Does he look like he's struggling with anything or is he a full go?

Paul Friesen just wrote a huge column blasting the Bombers for letting Willy play so soon after a concussion but I've never heard any comments on how he looks - which in this case, I will assume means he looks great because if he didn't, no doubt Friesen would be jumping at the opportunity to say we're mishandling things.

Da'rel Scott and Patrick Neufeld just started practicing again this week - what units are they lining up with? Are they seeing any work with the first or second units.

Injury updates on Nate Collins or Troy Stoudermire - Stoudermire especially is in that zone where he could be back soon and yet, we haven't heard anything.

There was apparently a new guy working with the RB / REC crews last week occasionally - any update on if he's still there or who he is?

Is JFG still running with the 1s or are Richards/Bastien stealing any reps after JFG's rough Thursday?

Well tell Friesen that, not me.

Irving is an old school guy who will continue to do things the way he always has, until he calls his last game.

Irving isn't even doing things the way he was last year at this point. His level of coverage has dropped off significantly.

Brutal media coverage.  As someone else said I'd rather no news then a "hey look at me I'm here but who gives a F***"  tweet.

For comparison sake anyone feel free to post some tweets from other teams media personal for today?  Just so we can see if it's a CFL thing or a Bomber thing?

I don't go to Twitter to find out Bomber news (I come here) but it's nice to flip through and catch a quick note on practice or a signing or something.

Im more along the lines of, if I see no coverage then I assume nothing was worth reporting even though I know thats likely untrue.  I was going to start this thread myself as I find their coverage today to be particularly disheartening.  Some basic stuff about who's involved in first team, second team etc, how guys are looking.  Lots of chatter about Willy, so give us some details.  There's often something interesting that happens, a player looking particularly good or bad, a coach losing his cool with sloppy play etc.  I strongly suspect that if a reporter spends the day watching practice he has something better than "barely watching" to report.

And like i said, as a minimally knowledgeable fan, it bugs me.  Those of you who crave the details more would likely be even more bothered by the nonsense.  Im sure I'd have more to tweet if I was there then these so-called reporters.

Could this terse reporting be a reaction to the closed-mouth approach of our current head coach who talks but usually really says nothing?

Interesting.  You keep saying this thing even though it seems to be untrue.  Cause every time I see someone ask OShea an intelligent football question I can see his eyes light up, and he visibly gets happy and will talk for quite a while with joy about the sport he loves.

And every time I see someone ask him a stupid question I see him slow it down, pick his words carefully, and give a diplomatic answer.

It's very input output, and I've never heard him no-comment anything.

Brutal media coverage.  As someone else said I'd rather no news then a "hey look at me I'm here but who gives a F***"  tweet.

For comparison sake anyone feel free to post some tweets from other teams media personal for today?  Just so we can see if it's a CFL thing or a Bomber thing?

I don't go to Twitter to find out Bomber news (I come here) but it's nice to flip through and catch a quick note on practice or a signing or something.

Yeah this is what I do on twitter too.  because Im at work all day, I mostly come here for news but I like the immediately info of twitter.  So I flip through and see nothing (or like I said earlier at least something like Bob commenting on Willy's throws) then so be it.  But seeing them basically mock the desire of hardcore fans is a slap in the face.  Im sure the reporters and their editors have a good laugh but my boss wouldnt think it was very funny if I tweeted that I was barely working today or nothing to do at work today.

Irving is an old school guy who will continue to do things the way he always has, until he calls his last game.

Irving isn't even doing things the way he was last year at this point. His level of coverage has dropped off significantly.

He was in semi-retirement, wasnt he?  He is now in full retirement other then calling the games?  I like his calls so thats fine by me.  But why would he pretend to be covering practice if he isnt. 

Be sure to add:The opinions or views expressed by Mr. Dee or any other individual poster are those of the presenters/authors themselves and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and recommendations of the entire Morning Big Blue website, including its staff, moderators, posters who may post in less voluminous quantities than others, lurkers or supporters. Opinions stated by various contributors to Morning Big Blue are not to be considered as endorsed by the entire membership.

In case you missed it, this is not my thread, and, of course, not everybody has to, or is obliged to do anything.

But rest assured your name will be at the top of the list of non-supporters.

Look at how say Lawless tweets and then these bums.

Wieceek is the poster boy for why unions suck.

I agree.  Lawless manages to provide informational tweets, talk for two hours on H&L with more discussion, insight and info and still writes column's.  You can even catch him on H&L when he's getting hyped up about a topic that he wrote about for the next day and he's trying not to just recite his column.  I've heard him say "well, I wrote about this for tomorrow, but..." and he goes off on the topic.  because he actually seems to enjoy covering sports.  These clowns cant even do ONE of those things well.

He was in semi-retirement, wasnt he?  He is now in full retirement other then calling the games?  I like his calls so thats fine by me.  But why would he pretend to be covering practice if he isnt. 

He still does the Monday coach's show and the daily coach's show - he's there to get his audio clips for the latter as well as for the sports news, occasionally for the upper deck sports show although Toth is sometimes there to get his own.  I think he's still officially the sports director at OB, but other than the above mentioned stuff, Bomber games and filling in for vacationing Toth, he's out of active duty.  I suspect Toth has already taken over a large part of Irving's sports director responsibilities already.  He does as much as he wants to do at this point, and not much more.

And like Mike said, the drop off between the coverage he provided last year and this is very noticeable.

I have caught practice nearly every day that I can during a quick bite.  I watch for maybe 30 minutes, but I can tell you, that if you're observant enough, there is A LOT that you can catch going on that I'm sure many would at least sit back say, "Interesting."

For example, who here knows that since Marve doesn't get very many reps in practice that he spends 20-30 minutes post practice, running roll-outs and tossing balls all over the field with Jhomo Gordon?  How about that we have had a half-dozen other guys taking turns kicking field goals?  Does anyone here even know now that Kohlert has practiced all week with the 1s?

There is a lot you can say in a couple of sentences to give people something other than "nice catch this, and bad drop that."

Exactly.

How is the DL coach coaching up the Dline...are they doing anything different?

We're playing a different team this week...can be expect a few new formations on O?

Special teams? More emphasis this week?

Yes, I would write more reports on who's looking good or bad this week....pick a player or two a week.

Is MB more involved with the back up QBs? Are the backups still in the same order?

Notice any difference in what the LBs are doing?

Gawd, when I'm in town and watching TCs, there is too much to take in. These guys have 3 practices a week to concentrate on. You'd think they could come up with something.

I have caught practice nearly every day that I can during a quick bite.  I watch for maybe 30 minutes, but I can tell you, that if you're observant enough, there is A LOT that you can catch going on that I'm sure many would at least sit back say, "Interesting."

For example, who here knows that since Marve doesn't get very many reps in practice that he spends 20-30 minutes post practice, running roll-outs and tossing balls all over the field with Jhomo Gordon?  How about that we have had a half-dozen other guys taking turns kicking field goals?  Does anyone here even know now that Kohlert has practiced all week with the 1s?

There is a lot you can say in a couple of sentences to give people something other than "nice catch this, and bad drop that."

If only there was a profession, say sports reporting, that employed people, lets call them sports reporters, to provide this sort of info.  Its not like we're asking them to go out of their way.  They are sitting there at the friggen stadium ostensibly watching for crying out loud.

Be sure to add:The opinions or views expressed by Mr. Dee or any other individual poster are those of the presenters/authors themselves and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and recommendations of the entire Morning Big Blue website, including its staff, moderators, posters who may post in less voluminous quantities than others, lurkers or supporters. Opinions stated by various contributors to Morning Big Blue are not to be considered as endorsed by the entire membership.

In case you missed it, this is not my thread, and, of course, not everybody has to, or is obliged to do anything.

But rest assured your name will be at the top of the list of non-supporters.

I didn't miss the point that you didn't start the thread. But I also didn't miss the fact that YOU suggested that MBB write a letter "on behalf of its 700 members" disparaging the coverage the media gives the team and our collective disgust with it. Of course we are not obliged to do anything as you say, but if one form letter is going out from MBB it gives the appearance that everyone agrees - at least that is the intention of sending the letter from the entity rather than you sending one individually yourself. The disclaimer just points out that there is not universal agreement in your position that you are advocating on behalf of the entire membership of MBB.

I didn't.

But now I do.

Thank you.

But most of that is also stuff that only caters to the already obsessed. 

Yeah this is what I do on twitter too.  because Im at work all day, I mostly come here for news but I like the immediately info of twitter.  So I flip through and see nothing (or like I said earlier at least something like Bob commenting on Willy's throws) then so be it.  But seeing them basically mock the desire of hardcore fans is a slap in the face.  Im sure the reporters and their editors have a good laugh but my boss wouldnt think it was very funny if I tweeted that I was barely working today or nothing to do at work today.

Isn't the fact that you are typing on a public football fan blog in the middle of your work day doing just that (unless your job is related to covering the Bombers and their interaction with the fans)?