How does everybody feel about this "coverage"

Mike

I have caught practice nearly every day that I can during a quick bite.  I watch for maybe 30 minutes, but I can tell you, that if you're observant enough, there is A LOT that you can catch going on that I'm sure many would at least sit back say, "Interesting."

For example, who here knows that since Marve doesn't get very many reps in practice that he spends 20-30 minutes post practice, running roll-outs and tossing balls all over the field with Jhomo Gordon?  How about that we have had a half-dozen other guys taking turns kicking field goals?  Does anyone here even know now that Kohlert has practiced all week with the 1s?

There is a lot you can say in a couple of sentences to give people something other than "nice catch this, and bad drop that."

But most of that is also stuff that only caters to the already obsessed. 

That is one way of looking at it.

The other way is that the daily Bomber reports in the papers are already a solid 30% filler - I'd give an example if I had a paper in front of me - and this is far more interesting than any of that nonsense.  So why not use this instead to pad the word count?

Brutal media coverage.  As someone else said I'd rather no news then a "hey look at me I'm here but who gives a F***"  tweet.

For comparison sake anyone feel free to post some tweets from other teams media personal for today?  Just so we can see if it's a CFL thing or a Bomber thing?

I don't go to Twitter to find out Bomber news (I come here) but it's nice to flip through and catch a quick note on practice or a signing or something.

Yeah this is what I do on twitter too.  because Im at work all day, I mostly come here for news but I like the immediately info of twitter.  So I flip through and see nothing (or like I said earlier at least something like Bob commenting on Willy's throws) then so be it.  But seeing them basically mock the desire of hardcore fans is a slap in the face.  Im sure the reporters and their editors have a good laugh but my boss wouldnt think it was very funny if I tweeted that I was barely working today or nothing to do at work today.

Isn't the fact that you are typing on a public football fan blog in the middle of your work day doing just that (unless your job is related to covering the Bombers and their interaction with the fans)?

Yes.  Dont tell my boss.

I have caught practice nearly every day that I can during a quick bite.  I watch for maybe 30 minutes, but I can tell you, that if you're observant enough, there is A LOT that you can catch going on that I'm sure many would at least sit back say, "Interesting."

For example, who here knows that since Marve doesn't get very many reps in practice that he spends 20-30 minutes post practice, running roll-outs and tossing balls all over the field with Jhomo Gordon?  How about that we have had a half-dozen other guys taking turns kicking field goals?  Does anyone here even know now that Kohlert has practiced all week with the 1s?

There is a lot you can say in a couple of sentences to give people something other than "nice catch this, and bad drop that."

The other way is that the daily Bomber reports in the papers are already a solid 30% filler - I'd give an example if I had a paper in front of me - and this is far more interesting than any of that nonsense.  So why not use this instead to pad the word count?

Thats the thing, they are already there.  Its not like they are being asked to work harder to serve the hardcore minority.  I almost never buy newspapers.  But if they provided insightful coverage like some fans on here have today and teased more in tomorrow's column Id be more likely to pick it up.   Id spend money for insightful information.  Not Dr Friesen attacking the Bombers' medical team.

Irving is an old school guy who will continue to do things the way he always has, until he calls his last game.

Irving isn't even doing things the way he was last year at this point. His level of coverage has dropped off significantly.

Bob is still great at PBP (IMO)... but as far as reporting, I think he has basically packed it in...

It's actual content though that is at least informative.  Who is Paul Friesen catering to with his tweets right now?  

I'll agree that the paper stuff is a lot of filler, but why would that make a random blurb in 140 characters any less filler? Marve not getting many reps - yeah, he's 3rd string, so don't need a tweet telling me that. Other guys kicking field goals - makes sense that there is a back-up plan if Lirim Holy-crap-that-last name-is-hard-to-spell goes down mid-game. And if I really need to know who it is, I'll call in the coach's show and get the answer. Kohlert practicing with the #1's? Well, since they declared he was back from the injured list and would start this week in Monday's paper and radio reports, the proposed tweet tells me nothing that basic intelligence would let me presume in the first place.

The innocent version of the off-hand tweets is that this is just another regular practice with nothing unusual to see, but for those dying to know something, know that it is business as usual, no one out of or back in unexpectedly due to injury, no one struggling. I suspect it may be a subtle "shot" at the obsessed fans who crave every crumb of detail (on this site or otherwise) and if it that offensive to those fans, they can choose to tune out the coverage in favour of an alternative or voice a formal complaint. But there are new rules with the instant world of 21st Century media coverage. "Get it right" has been replaced with "get it first", and the old rules of "if it bleeds it leads", "don't let the facts get in the way of a good story", and "it doesn't matter if the readers/listeners love you or hate you, just make sure they are talking about you". And those 2 tweets have already filled 3 pages of a fan blog on a Wednesday afternoon. Mission accomplished, I'd say.

Brutal media coverage.  As someone else said I'd rather no news then a "hey look at me I'm here but who gives a F***"  tweet.

For comparison sake anyone feel free to post some tweets from other teams media personal for today?  Just so we can see if it's a CFL thing or a Bomber thing?

I don't go to Twitter to find out Bomber news (I come here) but it's nice to flip through and catch a quick note on practice or a signing or something.

Yeah this is what I do on twitter too.  because Im at work all day, I mostly come here for news but I like the immediately info of twitter.  So I flip through and see nothing (or like I said earlier at least something like Bob commenting on Willy's throws) then so be it.  But seeing them basically mock the desire of hardcore fans is a slap in the face.  Im sure the reporters and their editors have a good laugh but my boss wouldnt think it was very funny if I tweeted that I was barely working today or nothing to do at work today.

Isn't the fact that you are typing on a public football fan blog in the middle of your work day doing just that (unless your job is related to covering the Bombers and their interaction with the fans)?

Yes.  Dont tell my boss.

It'll be our secret.

I didn't miss the point that you didn't start the thread. But I also didn't miss the fact that YOU suggested that MBB write a letter "on behalf of its 700 members" disparaging the coverage the media gives the team and our collective disgust with it.

Funny, I don't remember using those words..but you shouldn't be so upset about what I'm writing in a forum...it isn't good for you.

You are part of the already obsessed though. For the filthy casual, who makes up most of the readership they just don't have the indepth knowledge of what's going on that we have. We are the elite fans ladies and gentlemen, No one caters to us, no one needs to because we can find out what's going on without having to rely on the papers. 

Part of the concern is that they don't want to give away too much "free" content. They still try to make money from the actual paper they produce. Until their respective media outlets finds a way to monetize their tweets, there's going to be some concern over giving away their reporting for free...

Part of the concern is that they don't want to give away too much "free" content. They still try to make money from the actual paper they produce. Until their respective media outlets finds a way to monetize their tweets, there's going to be some concern over giving away their reporting for free...

I could appreciate this if their columns also weren't complete ****. But that might be more my opinion than anything.

I'll agree that the paper stuff is a lot of filler, but why would that make a random blurb in 140 characters any less filler? Marve not getting many reps - yeah, he's 3rd string, so don't need a tweet telling me that. Other guys kicking field goals - makes sense that there is a back-up plan if Lirim Holy-crap-that-last name-is-hard-to-spell goes down mid-game. And if I really need to know who it is, I'll call in the coach's show and get the answer. Kohlert practicing with the #1's? Well, since they declared he was back from the injured list and would start this week in Monday's paper and radio reports, the proposed tweet tells me nothing that basic intelligence would let me presume in the first place.

The innocent version of the off-hand tweets is that this is just another regular practice with nothing unusual to see, but for those dying to know something, know that it is business as usual, no one out of or back in unexpectedly due to injury, no one struggling. I suspect it may be a subtle "shot" at the obsessed fans who crave every crumb of detail (on this site or otherwise) and if it that offensive to those fans, they can choose to tune out the coverage in favour of an alternative or voice a formal complaint. But there are new rules with the instant world of 21st Century media coverage. "Get it right" has been replaced with "get it first", and the old rules of "if it bleeds it leads", "don't let the facts get in the way of a good story", and "it doesn't matter if the readers/listeners love you or hate you, just make sure they are talking about you". And those 2 tweets have already filled 4 pages of a fan blog on a Wednesday afternoon. Mission accomplished, I'd say.

I'm not on twithole and don't care if they do or don't say anything on there, cause unless it gets re-posted here I won't know about it.

They are doing poor work covering practises this year.  Really poor.  The excuse that it's on an outdoor field rather than the stadium no longer applies, and to be honest I never understood how that worked as an excuse in the first place.

"Darvin Adams just 8 yards away from moving into 724th all-time on the Bombers receiving list."

That's the kind of nonsense that they'll use up 5% of a page for.  And frankly it's way more work to look up something like that than it is to just pay attention at practise and report on what's happening.  And what's happening at practise is way more interesting than stupid filler like that.  Not that we'd know what we're missing if TrueBlue and a few other soldiers fighting the good fight weren't kind enough to tell us.

Lazy and and a sense of entitlement.....have had better and more incisive reporting....from some posters on this site.

Good reporters do not need to be spoon fed stuff from the coach, or wait until something thrown up...finally sticks to the wall.  Or worry about being just another lame Twitter clown...

They follow the team closely,  they observe, they analyze, and with any luck..... communicate actual, relevant information, to the fans, with a modicum of wit or style.

Of course, that is simply.....asking the moon, from this crew.  

Lazy and and a sense of entitlement.....have had better and more incisive reporting....from some posters on this site.

Good reporters do not need to be spoon fed stuff from the coach, or wait until something thrown up...finally sticks to the wall.  Or worry about being just another lame Twitter clown...

They follow the team closely,  they observe, they analyze, and with any luck..... communicate actual, relevant information, to the fans, with a modicum of wit or style.

The best sports writers in the country don't cover the CFL.  Why would you expect the best from the B Team?

The best sports writers in the country don't cover the CFL.  Why would you expect the best from the B Team?

Because even a B team, could at least give it the ole college try.....

It's a joke and has been for some time and we all know it. As for the Jets D camp the Jets themselves are the ones tweeting out most relevant info. Perhaps the bombers twitter can do the same since we get nothing from these media types. Irving I can let slide. He's not a columnist type. He has his daily coaches show thing on cjob with the relevant info of the day but the other guys. The paper guys. Pretty ridiculous to tweet you are doing pretty much nothing

How many young reporters would kill to cover this beat and do a better job?

The Press has the gall to charge and claim they are world class?

Are they charging you to read tweets? In my opinion the free press coverage of the bombers has been outstanding

How many of the best sportswriters in the country live in Winnipeg?

They are newspaper reporters.  Tweeting isn't what they are there to do.  They're there to get info for their columns tomorrow.

I disagree with this.  In this new media age, tweeting is part of their job. It should be used to push followers / readers to their columns.  It should be to gain trust from and expand their followers base to drive more traffic to their respective papers.

Those tweets do nothing to make me want to read tomorrow's column.   At least for Bob Irving, he doesn't have a column.

"I didn't actually watch practice or do any hard reporting - read the Freep tomorrow!"

You are pretty quick to criticize the club and coaches but happy to give the media a pass.

The best athletes in the country don't play in the CFL.  Why would you expect the best from B players and coaches?