Around the CFL Regular Season Discussion

O'Shea and Walters were friends....they played at Guelph together and at Hamilton.....they go way back.

"Friends" is a relative term. If two people know each other, that doesn't automatically make them friends. And if it does, you'd be hard-pressed to find many working relationships in the CFL that didn't start that way, with someone hiring someone else that they are familiar with.

O'Shea was a senior at Guelph when Walters came in as a rookie, and they were on opposite sides of the ball (Walters was an RB at the time). They played a grand total of one season together in Hamilton.

Exactly. And when O'Shea was hired, he and Walters said after that the only times they got together was at football conferences.

Someone on this forum posted earlier that O'Shea and Walters were roommates in college.

Plus they are rumoured (by me) to have lived in a civil union for a couple of weeks.

O'Shea and Walters were friends....they played at Guelph together and at Hamilton.....they go way back.

"Friends" is a relative term. If two people know each other, that doesn't automatically make them friends. And if it does, you'd be hard-pressed to find many working relationships in the CFL that didn't start that way, with someone hiring someone else that they are familiar with.

O'Shea was a senior at Guelph when Walters came in as a rookie, and they were on opposite sides of the ball (Walters was an RB at the time). They played a grand total of one season together in Hamilton.

Exactly. And when O'Shea was hired, he and Walters said after that the only times they got together was at football conferences.

Someone on this forum posted earlier that O'Shea and Walters were roommates in college.

And the words of O'Shea and Walters would prove that unsubstantiated claim to be wrong. 

Cuz "random forum goer #29" has been a source of bang on, legit scoops lol

If BC loses and the Bombers get beaten by the Riders twice in the next two weeks, we could have a baker's hat trick of canned coaches this year- might be some kind of record..

As much as you seem to think otherwise MOS is going nowhere. Learn to accept that
Walter won't fire O'Shea.
Save his ass he might.
If I was a GM I'd never hire a friend to be a HC. That way if I have to fire the coach, I'm not destroying a friendship so there'd be no second guessing or regret. My conscience would be clear.

How many times does it need to be said that Walters and O'Shea were NOT friends when O'Shea was hired.

Everything I read says they were friends. 

If BC loses and the Bombers get beaten by the Riders twice in the next two weeks, we could have a baker's hat trick of canned coaches this year- might be some kind of record..

As much as you seem to think otherwise MOS is going nowhere. Learn to accept that
Save his ass he might.
If I was a GM I'd never hire a friend to be a HC. That way if I have to fire the coach, I'm not destroying a friendship so there'd be no second guessing or regret. My conscience would be clear.

How many times does it need to be said that Walters and O'Shea were NOT friends when O'Shea was hired.

College teammates & roomies. Okay not friends. 

What's your proof? You saying it's so doesn't make it true.

Save his ass he might.

Everything I read says they were friends.

Links or it didn't happen.

The only 'friend' hire is Pat Tracey... and he was considered a CFL-ready coach.

MB brings in more 'friends' than anyone else - Dahlqvist, Brohm, Boltus, Kelly...  its an easy fix.

Brohm never played for Bellefuille. Brohm was in Hamilton when Cortez was HC. 

Marcel Bellefuile brought the entire Omaha Nighthawks crew with him... Dahlquist, Brohm and Boltus.

Edit:  Oh, my mistake, Brohm was with Las Vegas Locomotives... a backup to Chase Clement, wow.  Now, I'm more depressed.

I'll still blame Bellefuile for this though.

Als dismiss Schonert, name co-offensive coordinators

MONTREAL -- Montreal GM and head coach Jim Popp continues to tinker with the Alouettes coaching staff, dismissing offensive coordinator Turk Schonert Saturday and appointing Anthony Calvillo and Ryan Dinwiddie as co-offensive coordinators.

"After taking over the head coaching job two weeks ago, I have had a better chance to evaluate the coaching staff and how they best work together. I have had conversations with owner Bob Wetenhall during this period, and extensive conversations over the last 24 hours," said Popp in a statement.

"I feel it is in the best interest of our organization moving forward, to make a change at the offensive coordinator position, and to relieve coach Turk Schonert of his duties. Though we have had injuries and challenges at the quarterback position, we feel we should be getting better production on the scoreboard and better use of the talented group of athletes that have been assembled," added Popp.

Maybe Schonert is the offencive consultant the Bombers have been looking for to help Marcel find his way.....out the door!

Full story.

Exactly what I was going to say. If you're going to call Walters and O'Shea "friends" or "buddies," then everyone who's playing or coaching in the CFL right now are friends and shouldn't work together. It's a pretty huge leap.

I know the Als have been the model franchise in the past, but who would want to coach there? 

The GM, who has made it known that he wants to coach, is lurking over your shoulder and at the same time loading your team with distractions (ok I"m exaggerating, 2 players) all the while will can you mid season when the players he's given you don't exceed their mediocre standards

Cody Ledbetter, once the star quarterback for New Mexico State and later a disgraced high school football coach, was found dead in Aledo, Texas, on Saturday morning.

According to the Star-Telegram, the Parker County Sheriff's office said the 42-year-old Ledbetter "apparently killed himself," though an official ruling on Ledbetter's death will be made by the medical examiner's office.

Ledbetter played quarterback at New Mexico State from 1991 to 1995, leading the nation in total offense in 1995 then later playing for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in the Canadian Football League.

His post-playing career as a teacher and assistant coach at Alvarado High School ended in scandal, with Ledbetter pleading guilty to having sex with a 16-year-old in 2004. He fled the country before being sentenced and finally surrendering to Canadian authorities in 2010.

Full story.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...-dead-in-texas