It's time for the Riders to start sucking ...

IC Khari

CFL News @CFL_News

#Riders pleased to announce home game this Sat. vs #CalStampeders is sold out. http://ow.ly/R3Gep #CFL via @sskroughriders

Have to hand it to Canada's best fans. I doubt if we were 0-7 we'd be selling out our barn.

I'm sure a big chunk of those fans are driving in from Calgary for the game.

Considering it's only half Stampeder fans at McMahon for games against the Riders, not even a chance. Obviously some, but not many.

That's total bullshit. That's why I hate & totally disrespect the Rider fanbase when they post total garbage like this. The Stamps have 24,000 season tickets in a 35.000 seat stadium. So how do nearly 20,000 Rider fans get in? Most of the fans there cheering for the Riders are drunken douchebags. Give me a frigging break.

Ok sorry, that was an exaggeration, but they still fill it up a decent bit.

Anyhow, there aren't going to be that many Stamps fans in Regina. There will obviously be a few as always, but not "a big chunk". 

Yeah but when you go to a game in Calgary vs. the Bombers there's a ton of Bomber fans in there too, when the Lions are in town there's a ton of Lions fans. That's just what happens when you are in a city with a large population that has moved there from out of province. The Riders aren't some unique fanbase, especially when it comes to Calgary. 

Exactly, in so many facets. Well maybe one. Unique in not knowing their not unique when it comes to positives.

CFL News @CFL_News

#Riders pleased to announce home game this Sat. vs #CalStampeders is sold out. http://ow.ly/R3Gep #CFL via @sskroughriders

Have to hand it to Canada's best fans. I doubt if we were 0-7 we'd be selling out our barn.

Considering it's only half Stampeder fans at McMahon for games against the Riders, not even a chance. Obviously some, but not many.

That's total bullshit. That's why I hate & totally disrespect the Rider fanbase when they post total garbage like this. The Stamps have 24,000 season tickets in a 35.000 seat stadium. So how do nearly 20,000 Rider fans get in? Most of the fans there cheering for the Riders are drunken douchebags. Give me a frigging break.

Anyhow, there aren't going to be that many Stamps fans in Regina. There will obviously be a few as always, but not "a big chunk". 

Yeah but when you go to a game in Calgary vs. the Bombers there's a ton of Bomber fans in there too, when the Lions are in town there's a ton of Lions fans. That's just what happens when you are in a city with a large population that has moved there from out of province. The Riders aren't some unique fanbase, especially when it comes to Calgary. 

Exactly. Through many decades the youth of Saskatchewan fled their family farms to other provinces to gain employment in other provinces. Saskatchewan teetered on the brink of insolvency for the better part of 50 years prior to the last decade. With no other major economy other than farming and no prospect of employment other than driving tractor for minimum wage, Saskatchewanites spread out across the country at a rate only rivaled by Newfoundland.

Once in their new homes, they developed a kind of survivor's guilt for leaving and the only sports team from "back home" they could rally their survival guilt around was the Riders. The success of the Rider brand across Canada has more to do with that than anything else. Not wanting to be seen as turncoats by the province that raised them but they ultimately abandoned, they don green and go to games in the hopes that somehow it will rectify the damage that was done by the mass exodus they were a part of. Sad really.

In short the Rider's success around the league speaks more to the former sad state of affairs of their home province than it actually does about their football team.

Same could probably be said about the high number of Bomber fans that attend games in Alberta. Although, there are far fewer of us, the reasons for attending are about trying to keep allegiances with the provinces left behind.

CFL News @CFL_News

Kind of like when the Habs play in Edmonton, it's a sea of red, and when the Maple Leafs play in Edmonton, it's a sea of blue.

CFL News @CFL_News

Kind of like when the Habs play in Edmonton, it's a sea of red, and when the Maple Leafs play in Edmonton, it's a sea of blue.

Not even remotely the same. You are trying to compare the two oldest Canadian NHL franchises to the Riders?! This is what makes other teams fan bases take issue with Rider fans. The gall to think they are somehow at the level of franchise as the Habs and Leafs is laughable. The Habs and the Leafs fill buildings with their fans across Canada because until NHL expansion there were only two Canadian NHL teams to cheer for. You were either a Habs or Leafs fans. Unlike the Riders, there presence across Canada transcends provincial boundaries. They truly were Canada's teams for generations.

CFL News @CFL_News

Not even remotely the same. You are trying to compare the two oldest Canadian NHL franchises to the Riders?! This is what makes other teams fan bases take issue with Rider fans. The gall to think they are somehow at the level of franchise as the Habs and Leafs is laughable. The Habs and the Leafs fill buildings with their fans across Canada because until NHL expansion there were only two Canadian NHL teams to cheer for. You were either a Habs or Leafs fans. Unlike the Riders, there presence across Canada transcends provincial boundaries. They truly were Canada's teams for generations.

What the hell are you talking about? I'm making my comparison to what 17 said. I made no mention or comparison to the Roughriders. Maybe read what's going on before going off on a tangent.

I used Edmonton as a comparison because a lot of people out of province moved there for work; many of whom don't cheer for the Oilers. Just like with Calgary.

CFL News @CFL_News

What the hell are you talking about? I'm making my comparison to what 17 said. I made no mention or comparison to the Roughriders. Maybe read what's going on before going off on a tangent.

I used Edmonton as a comparison because a lot of people out of province moved there for work; many of whom don't cheer for the Oilers. Just like with Calgary.

The point is that rider fans are displaced gappers, habs and leaf fans aren't usually displaced fans. Prior to expansion leafs or habs were the teams people were fans of and those loyalties were passed down from fathers to sons and when the NHL expanded people didn't up and change their loyalties. Look at a guy like Noeller, proud Manitoban for whatever reason, also a Leaf fan cause that's how he was raised. 

I see that this thread has gone from the shcadenfreude of MBBers reveling in the troubles of an 0-7 Rider squad that lost it's #1 and #2 QBs back to the insecure sour grapes of trying to convince everyone about the "myth" that is the national reach of Rider nation.

Bombers must be on a losing streak with QB troubles of their own.

CFL News @CFL_News

The point is that rider fans are displaced gappers, habs and leaf fans aren't usually displaced fans. Prior to expansion leafs or habs were the teams people were fans of and those loyalties were passed down from fathers to sons and when the NHL expanded people didn't up and change their loyalties. Look at a guy like Noeller, proud Manitoban for whatever reason, also a Leaf fan cause that's how he was raised. 

Yep. Pretty much exactly what I was saying. I am glad reading comprehension is still taught in one prairie province.

I see that this thread has gone from the shcadenfreude of MBBers reveling in the troubles of an 0-7 Rider squad that lost it's #1 and #2 QBs back to the insecure sour grapes of trying to convince everyone about the "myth" that is the national reach of Rider nation.

Rider sympathizer....or Rider fan? Hmmm.....

Taman just signed Don Unamba.

Let me be clear about this. They must have overpaid to get him to sign. 

Yea...why else would he sign in Regina. Surely not for the RCMP museum.

What's ironic is that knowing Taman's spending habits they probably did overpay to get him to sign.

Phone rings: RING RING

"Hello Don, this is Brendan Taman from the RoughRIders"

"Hi Brendan...can I call you back in 5 minutes? My boss Apu says I need to clean the squishee machine."

"This will only take a second Don. Would you be interested in coming to play for the Riders?"

(Long Pause where Don Unamba resigns himself to the fact that this is what it's come down too)

"Well Brendan I'm open to offers."

"Well then how does league minimum sound Don?"

(Don literally has no time to respond whatsoever)

"Ok...OK...you're playing hardball...I get it...how about 60k a year?"

'Well that's an interesting offer Brendan...give me a moment to think it over"

(2 seconds later)

" Alright...you win 75k...but that's my final offer until my next final offer."

" In that case I acc...."

(Gets cut off by Brendan mid-sentence)

" 80k .....I mean it that's how high I can go. Take it or leave it."

" I'll take it."

"Great stay on the line and my assistant will make preparations for you to get here."

(Taman hangs up, looks at himself in the mirror and giggles with delight. " Hee hee....I could have gone as high as 100k."

Neither. I just find it comical (and pretty hypocritical) that Bomber fans on this site get so bent about how popular the Riders are nationwide and how boisterous their fans are about their allegiances, and feel they have to shout it down and de-cry it as a "myth". Sucks for them to be 0-7 and be so close in every game, certainly given the injury issues they have had, but I don't feel sorry for them. No one would feel sorry for the Bombers in the same situation. But I feel no overt need to throw it in their faces unless a fan fires the first shot directly at me (and to my face, not over a message board).

But I find it sillier that people feel the need to be bothered by how supportive the Rider fans are, both at home and on the road, and the fact that the media comments on it, and the massive need to say "that's a lie!", or "it just gets soooo annoying" when the most ardent Bomber fans do EXACTLY the same thing, like it's OK for us to do it, but a crime for another fan base to. The perception of a strong Rider national fan base is not inaccurate - come to any Banjo Bowl and see how well their fans travel. This is just my opinion, but it smacks of sour grapes and a massive inferiority complex, like it takes away from how good Bomber fans are if we don't get the same props, or if another team gets any credit. And it is so predictable around here, when we do well we can revel in their failure, but when we have a struggling team that we can't puff our chests out about, we revert to the "well they suck too" and "they are in your face about it (like we aren't?). Just funny how childish it seems, and to me, this petty attitude and classlessness DOES reflect badly on our fanbase (and I don't expect anyone to adopt that last line of thinking). I am sure I am overreacting to most, but it is a pet peeve of mine. I don't need to tear down other anonymous people to make me feel better about myself - I don't want to give that kind power to others to determine my life happiness, especially fans of a competing sports team.

Anyway, just my observation and opinion, no Rider flag waving intended.

Neither. I just find it comical (and pretty hypocritical) that Bomber fans on this site get so bent about how popular the Riders are nationwide and how boisterous their fans are about their allegiances, and feel they have to shout it down and de-cry it as a "myth". Sucks for them to be 0-7 and be so close in every game, certainly given the injury issues they have had, but I don't feel sorry for them. No one would feel sorry for the Bombers in the same situation. But I feel no overt need to throw it in their faces unless a fan fires the first shot directly at me (and to my face, not over a message board).

But I find it sillier that people feel the need to be bothered by how supportive the Rider fans are, both at home and on the road, and the fact that the media comments on it, and the massive need to say "that's a lie!", or "it just gets soooo annoying" when the most ardent Bomber fans do EXACTLY the same thing, like it's OK for us to do it, but a crime for another fan base to. The perception of a strong Rider national fan base is not inaccurate - come to any Banjo Bowl and see how well their fans travel. This is just my opinion, but it smacks of sour grapes and a massive inferiority complex, like it takes away from how good Bomber fans are if we don't get the same props, or if another team gets any credit. And it is so predictable around here, when we do well we can revel in their failure, but when we have a struggling team that we can't puff our chests out about, we revert to the "well they suck too" and "they are in your face about it (like we aren't?). Just funny how childish it seems, and to me, this petty attitude and classlessness DOES reflect badly on our fanbase (and I don't expect anyone to adopt that last line of thinking). I am sure I am overreacting to most, but it is a pet peeve of mine. I don't need to tear down other anonymous people to make me feel better about myself - I don't want to give that kind power to others to determine my life happiness, especially fans of a competing sports team.

You've done this same rant enough times for me to conclude you are a Rider fan in disguise.

Everyone watch out for this guy.

You've done this same rant enough times for me to conclude you are a Rider fan in disguise.

Everyone watch out for this guy.

If you're not with us, you're against us.....it really is that simple. I don't trust Bombers "fans" who aren't rabidly anti-Riders...