TC Report - Day Five

thanks for your perspective as well, but not basing things on youtube and general consensus.

I seen all play live, albeit only seen Waggoner live in camp here. But it's easy enough to see from live play, comparison in camp through drills, ability to correct and adapt, and conversely not having the ability to do so is where i get my perspectives...not saying they are be all end all, but pretty confident in them.

If Hurl is our starting "middle" linebacker then we failed in recruiting this year...and I thnk general consensus would agree with that.

If he can grab a outside spot, and make us a better team and be a Canadian..great, but if he doesn't it's not a free agent pick up failure. He is good enough to rotate, be occasional starter and a dominant special teamer and makes our Canadian depth better.

thanks for your perspective as well, but not basing things on youtube and general consensus.

I seen all play live, albeit only seen Waggoner live in camp here. But it's easy enough to see from live play, comparison in camp through drills, ability to correct and adapt, and conversely not having the ability to do so is where i get my perspectives...not saying they are be all end all, but pretty confident in them.

If Hurl is our starting "middle" linebacker then we failed in recruiting this year...and I thnk general consensus would agree with that.

If he can grab a outside spot, and make us a better team and be a Canadian..great, but if he doesn't it's not a free agent pick up failure. He is good enough to rotate, be occasional starter and a dominant special teamer and makes our Canadian depth better.

I can agree with all that, and I was surprised he was even being put in the middle, to be honest.

My original thought was, if he is indeed close to Allen (or any other import) he would get the spot due to birth certificate. I don't really have a preference outside of wanting the best guy there.

I respect your opinion Booch, I know your background and I know you don't blindly throw out opinion.

lol @ the self entitlement required to call your opinion "the facts as I see them"

Of course it's my opinion, but my opinion isn't based on nothing or simple assumptions.

Facts...

Hurl lost his starting job in Regina last year. (No one is saying that's the only reason the Riders were losing)

We signed Hurl as a FA for starters money.

O'Shea has said multiple times, even before he saw Hurl at TC, that 'We' think he's ready to be a starter.

O'Shea said last year that Willy was the starting QB before TC which turned out to be true.  

Allen has a much better pedigree than Hurl.

Some of the best CFL'rs are guys with NFL talent but are a little too small or a little too slow to play in the NFL.

We don't NEED to start Hurl anymore because we signed Westerman.

Opinion....

Given the above, I'd rather have Allen than Hurl because I think that would make us a better team.

Assumption....

Given that O'Shea has already penciled Hurl into the starting job, he's likely to start.  

Day 5 at TC. Was there a short while for a bit of ST, players rest time and scrimmage. Noticed Ryan Reaves visiting his brother. O looks to be substantially ahead of the D at this point, surprisingly, as it seems usually to be the other way around at camp. Neufeld nicked-up apparently, so S. Chungh starting at RG and Jace Daniels at RG. Chungh benefitting from lots of instruction from Picard and soaking it all in. Z Anderson and G Peach pretty much having their way with that side of the OL while I watched, however. Tried a bit of the old Wade Millerooski by handing the ball for an off tackle dive to #38 Lattanzio who is a bit of a freight train. That play used to be called a #44 Woody in my day - not sure what they call it now :) That was fun to witness! #81 NI Kris Bastien continues to make great catches in traffic, he has stood out for me at each of the 5 rookie and Main Camp practices I've attended so far. Did not see Stanley Bryant out there and someone said he had been there but was limping and not practicing today. I liked how Derek Jones looked at CB and Don Unamba playing a lot of reps at LB. T Sherman filling in for Leggett and directing traffic out there. Didn't see much from the LBs but only saw a a very short bit of the full pads scrimmages - they were definitely hitting hard out there and going full tilt. M Willie made a good grab on a hell of a bullet from Yantz in traffic. Yantz getting instruction/correction on roll-out technique and launch point from Gene Dalhquist. Stoudermire was burned a few times at HB - just as he was in the few game reps he saw at that position last year if I recall correctly - wondering if they will just keep him on O and ST? #0 Shaq Richardson is supposed to be impressing people - I think O'Shea singled him out for praise the other day. He seemed to be not having such a great day today but someone said he is a team guy during meetings and the like. It's going to be hard to start anyone other than Bucknor Johnson Leggett and Washington as 4 of the 5 in the D backfield I would guess. But then again, who can adjust best to the new no contact rules? I didn't see much of the RBs, but one of the receivers #88 Gordon was fielding kicks again and I haven't seen anything but good catches and no drops from him at receiver so he might be one of those under-the-radar surprises at this camp.

Flexibility.

That what I see players like Hurl, Waggoner, Newman, Morgan, Briggs, Jones, Westerman, Richards, Brown and others.

This spells roster flexibility. Well, not literally, but rosterly.

Doesn't matter if they are stars on their own, but if they part of rotation pattern that breeds success..well then who cares how it's done.

Look to last year at the restrictions of our flexibility and you will appreciate the roster planning as it stands.

Gleaned from the MOS Day 5 post practice interview:

- Addison Richards can play Tues. if he can get a practice in before then.

- Jordan Yantz started strong, tapered and now picked up again. Better than last year.

- the fact that they are still bringing in guys means they're the ones they wanted to look at, tagged by the scouting staff, and have become available only now. They are not just "camp legs" , "they have been stalked by our scouting staff", "last year was different trying to flip the negotiation list and try to develop a network", if they bring a guy in, it's because there's something about him they really like".

- like the intensity level of Johnny Adams,"he steals reps" meaning he takes reps whenever he can. If a player isn't paying attention, Adams will step in.They've actually had to tell him to give others a chance. That's funny.

- Lawless asks MOS who's on top of the depth chart at MlB right now? Hesitant at first, O'Shea answers "I'm very impressed wth Sam Hurl right now...has surpassed his expectations..the intangibles are what stands out...runs around the whole field...Greg Knox talks about instinctive pursuit..."he's making it work"...he's as athletic as the Imp. LBs...he was asked if Hurl would play on the weak side and OShea answered that the way they'll play their defence will have a lot of different guys play at different spots.

Did anyone see the Lirim interview? Someone from the media asked him what his thoughts are on his "new" ST Coordinator? Lirim looks at him with a confused look and says "Pat Tracy? He was here last year". The media guy then blames his incompetence on the fact that media aren't allowed to talk to Coordinators.

Did anyone see the Lirim interview? Someone from the media asked him what his thoughts are on his "new" ST Coordinator? Lirim looks at him with a confused look and says "Pat Tracy? He was here last year". The media guy then blames his incompetence on the fact that media aren't allowed to talk to Coordinators.

Our media is embarrassing. Holy hell.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Adams get into real game action.

That Spartans defence is no joke, and he made plays all over. Potential game changer.

At one point Adams was seen by some NFL scouts as a potential NFL first round draft pick.

He appears to be a physical, athletic, competitive guy with great ball awareness. Those Spartan guys play with an edge.

Can't wait to see him in a game.

I'm comfortable putting a twenty down it was Weicek.

I couldn't see who asked the question, but it sounded like Bauming, which would surprise me because he's usually on the ball. But could have been someone else too.

Thanks for all the reports.

I think I'd rather see Randle play SAM, Allen or Bass at MLB and a combo of Newman/Hurl/Waggoner at WIL from reports.

I don't see the allure of moving Randle to 'backer/dime. He was consistently good last season on the corner, someone we could really trust out there. I'd much rather trust Randle and Bucknor (or Adams considering the ratio) out there, then Adams + Bucknor as the duo. I think our defensive line is going to be really good this year.  I think Waggoner and Hurl at WIL and MLB could be good enough there.

I guess it depends where you want to play the newbies. Personally, even if Adams looks good, I don't want a new guy plus Bucknor. That seems dangerous. I'm more willing to gamble on the Waggoner and Hurl as the new guys inside, but again, just personal preference on the gamble.

I couldn't see who asked the question, but it sounded like Bauming, which would surprise me because he's usually on the ball. But could have been someone else too.

I watched the interview. The question comes at around the 4 minute mark. Talk about stupid. And trying to cover it with the whole excuse that they aren't allowed to talk to co-ordinators. Just pathetic. Shame on whoever that clown is.

Thanks for all the reports.

I think I'd rather see Randle play SAM, Allen or Bass at MLB and a combo of Newman/Hurl/Waggoner at WIL from reports.

I don't see the allure of moving Randle to 'backer/dime. He was consistently good last season on the corner, someone we could really trust out there. I'd much rather trust Randle and Bucknor (or Adams considering the ratio) out there, then Adams + Bucknor as the duo. I think our defensive line is going to be really good this year.  I think Waggoner and Hurl at WIL and MLB could be good enough there.

I guess it depends where you want to play the newbies. Personally, even if Adams looks good, I don't want a new guy plus Bucknor. That seems dangerous. I'm more willing to gamble on the Waggoner and Hurl as the new guys inside, but again, just personal preference on the gamble.

Wow sounds like Waggoner is the real deal! Good job getting him Kyle!

I don't feel comfortable with Hurl being more than a role player based on what I've seen of him as a player in this league.  Waggoner is a rookie too.  I think between those two, Newman/Sherman you have one NI spot on D taken care of.  You might have two of those guys on the field at times if the DL is all IMP in different packages.