TC Report - Day Five

I prefer Allen over Hurl because he's played LB very well at a high level, has NFL talent, but is too small for MLB and too slow for DB in the big league.  It'll be Hurl though because they brought him in, paid him as a starter and said they thought he was ready to start.

Goosen/Chungh at guard/6th is better than Goosen/Neufeld IMHO.  I liked the way Daniels played at the end of last year, especially his run blocking.  Younger, cheaper and less injury concerns make him a better choice than Dile in my mind.  Still... they brought Dile in in FA, put him at the top of the depth chart and paid him like a starter so we could easily see him as a starter at least at the beginning of the year.

Wiecek (Free Press) on Westerman:

Bombers fans should be so heartened to hear what veteran defensive tackle Bryant Turner had to say on Wednesday about the team's newest -- and most prominent -- former NFLer, defensive end Jamaal Westerman.

"He's been very humble. If I didn't read the paper and know that he was in the NFL for six years, I'd have never known it. He never mentions it and he's really been a true student his whole time here," Turner said of Westerman.

"He's trying to learn the game, he asks a lot of questions and he just studies and learns."

Jamaal Westerman said he can't wait to get started on his Canadian career.

"I talk to my brother a lot now. He's kind of giving me tips," said Westerman. "Even though I'm the older brother, he seems to be giving me a lot more tips now than I gave to him."

"It's a whole different game here in Canada," said Anderson, "and you see a lot of guys from the NFL come here with pedigrees like that. I'm not going to drop names, but we've had guys like that come here before and they just don't cut it because the game is that different."

The Bombers defence gave up the most yards rushing in the CFL in 2014, while recording just the second-fewest QB sacks and the quick-footed Westerman -- he's remarkably fleet for a man who is 6-3, 260 -- could go a long way to addressing both those weaknesses for the Bombers in 2015.

"He's got a terrific power angle and in those one-on-one pass rushes, boy, he certainly gets underneath guys. And same thing at point of attack in the run game, he can hold an edge down very, very well," said head coach Mike O'Shea.

"He flies around. He's easy to work with. He's smart."

I prefer Allen over Hurl because he's played LB very well at a high level, has NFL talent, but is too small for MLB and too slow for DB in the big league.  It'll be Hurl though because they brought him in, paid him as a starter and said they thought he was ready to start.

Goosen/Chungh at guard/6th is better than Goosen/Neufeld IMHO.  I liked the way Daniels played at the end of last year, especially his run blocking.  Younger, cheaper and less injury concerns make him a better choice than Dile in my mind.  Still... they brought Dile in in FA, put him at the top of the depth chart and paid him like a starter so we could easily see him as a starter at least at the beginning of the year.

Not if he cant stay on the field. Both you and I selected Dile as a surprise cut after TC. Let's see. Maybe we made the right choice.

I don't think it will be that simple.  There will be some kind of rotation in the linebacking corps.  I still think we will start two NI receivers.  Add in 3 OL, Westerman, and Bucknor, and you don't NEED to start a Canadian at linebacker.  My opinion is that it will be a big rotation either way.  We will see Hurl, Newman, and likely 2 American linebackers (not including SAM spot) on the roster and they will all play.

As for Dile, who knows if he is getting paid like a starter.  He has big time injury history, I don't think they would have broken the bank to sign him.

I don't think it will be that simple.  There will be some kind of rotation in the linebacking corps.  I still think we will start two NI receivers.  Add in 3 OL, Westerman, and Bucknor, and you don't NEED to start a Canadian at linebacker.  My opinion is that it will be a big rotation either way.  We will see Hurl, Newman, and likely 2 American linebackers (not including SAM spot) on the roster and they will all play.

As for Dile, who knows if he is getting paid like a starter.  He has big time injury history, I don't think they would have broken the bank to sign him.

I agree. We certainly must have gotten some kind of IMP OL that's barely played the last 2 years discount on him. His market value couldn't have been that great.

@Tburgess--you have clearly decided Hurl is not an option based on assumptions not based in fact.

So maybe actually wait to see it play out.

I really do hope Hurl is legit enough to beat out the IMP competition. That would be so much better than just forcing  a NI into the starting lineup so we can make ratio. I liked what Hurl did in Saskatchewan last year. I thought he was playing pretty respectably. The Rider offence is what really let their team down last year. That defence was perpetually on the field and still played well....Hurl included.

@Tburgess--you have clearly decided Hurl is not an option based on assumptions not based in fact.

I really do hope Hurl is legit enough to beat out the IMP competition. That would be so much better than just forcing  a NI into the starting lineup so we can make ratio. I liked what Hurl did in Saskatchewan last year. I thought he was playing pretty respectably. The Rider offence is what really let their team down last year. That defence was perpetually on the field and still played well....Hurl included.

I agree with that. He is also still a younger guy going into his best years.

I prefer Allen over Hurl too actually...and based from what I have scene is why I feel that way. Also pedigree plays into it, and with reps and learning the Canadian game he can be a Barrin Simpson type in the middle, but with more speed and better cover skillls.

I paid a lot of attention to the linebackers when I was there and Hurl didn't particularly impress me. He is in the bottom tier of linebackers in regards to cover skills (not just Canadian but all LB's)

Waggoner is much better, has the loose hips to be able to turn and run with a receiver easily from either side which is essential up here and is bigger and faster. Takes better angles and has much better closing and recovery speed.

He's a rookie here yes, but he has pro experience and has played in pro style schemes, and is smart and will pick stuff up fast. Our best scenario would be a LB core of Allen or Bass in the middle (whoever wins it outright) with the other guy rotating in..I sure we can DI one as we have done that before.

If Adams steps up and shows he can take over for Randall then you flank the MLB with him and a Waggoner/Hurl/Newman rotation. 

And truth fully i would like to see us start 7 Canadians, though with the ability if we wanted to go with 8. 

3 O-lineman, Westerman, Bucknor/Jones and 2 receivers and an all import LB core.

We would have a lot of in game flexibility this way. Can roster all the best Canadian LB's for teams and rotation and if offence is struggling can throw an additional import receiver or go with a two import RB set and change an Import LB with one of the Canadians who could essentially be starting 

Really hope that scout from the NY Jets that was there today is on the next flight back to New York as soon as possible. Don't steal our players! 

Can't take them unless we release them. By the time our season ends this guy will have viewed another 1000 guys. Unless, we have someone who is going to be a pending FA that they absolutely love, I'm not sure much will come from his visit. It will do more good for the Bombers than it will do harm.

Really hope that scout from the NY Jets that was there today is on the next flight back to New York as soon as possible. Don't steal our players! 

Maybe he had more credentials that I didn't see, but from what I could tell wearing a Jets polo shirt and saying "I'm from the New York Jets" was all it took to get him in.

Which might as well lead to mbrg's training camp report.

I'm sorry.

Lirim was hanging out by the port a pottys.  Don't know if he had issues, or that's his spot.  If that's his spot, he has issues.

Bryant and Dile were sitting around.  Bryant said a swear word, then looked around to see who could hear him.  No kids, good enough.

The Oline pushed each other around for fun.  Neufeld seemed to do alright for himself.

Then I had to go.

Later when I came back to my car, I walked within 500 feet of Chad Remple.

That's really all that happened while I was briefly there.  I understand why I need to be banned from this site now.  I'll miss you most of all Logan.

I prefer Allen over Hurl too actually...and based from what I have scene is why I feel that way. Also pedigree plays into it, and with reps and learning the Canadian game he can be a Barrin Simpson type in the middle, but with more speed and better cover skillls.

I paid a lot of attention to the linebackers when I was there and Hurl didn't particularly impress me. He is in the bottom tier of linebackers in regards to cover skills (not just Canadian but all LB's)

Waggoner is much better, has the loose hips to be able to turn and run with a receiver easily from either side which is essential up here and is bigger and faster. Takes better angles and has much better closing and recovery speed.

He's a rookie here yes, but he has pro experience and has played in pro style schemes, and is smart and will pick stuff up fast. Our best scenario would be a LB core of Allen or Bass in the middle (whoever wins it outright) with the other guy rotating in..I sure we can DI one as we have done that before.

If Adams steps up and shows he can take over for Randall then you flank the MLB with him and a Waggoner/Hurl/Newman rotation. 

And truth fully i would like to see us start 7 Canadians, though with the ability if we wanted to go with 8. 

3 O-lineman, Westerman, Bucknor/Jones and 2 receivers and an all import LB core.

We would have a lot of in game flexibility this way. Can roster all the best Canadian LB's for teams and rotation and if offence is struggling can throw an additional import receiver or go with a two import RB set and change an Import LB with one of the Canadians who could essentially be starting

I can appreciate your perspective, and have high hopes for Allen, and Waggoner. I've seen none of them play, so I can't really speak to it.

I've seen YouTube clips, but that doesn't give you the full picture.

I'll let it play out, let the best men win.

I saw Hurl play last year for the Riders and I wasn't impressed.  I said as much when we signed him in FA, so no, I don't think he's starter material, but should be an upgrade on special teams and good for rotation when we need him.  Them's the facts as I see them.  

Can't take them unless we release them. By the time our season ends this guy will have viewed another 1000 guys. Unless, we have someone who is going to be a pending FA that they absolutely love, I'm not sure much will come from his visit. It will do more good for the Bombers than it will do harm.

I admit I don't really know the finer points of a situation like this, but I'm curious as to why you think it will do good for the Bombers? Your post has made me calm down though so I have to thank you for that.

I admit I don't really know the finer points of a situation like this, but I'm curious as to why you think it will do good for the Bombers? Your post has made me calm down though so I have to thank you for that.

Americans often don't want to give up on their NFL dream, and view signing in the CFL as the end of it.  If Walters can say we had scouts from 30 of the 32 NFL teams at practises last year, then point to a guy like Ian Wild or Enoch Muamba, that can be all it takes for a reluctant neg-lister to look at the Bombers as his path to the NFL rather than away from it.