Bombers sign Jamall Westerman

Bucknor held his own last year. I don't see a drop off between him and an American DB.

Man, I said this to 17to85 this morning on FB chat and he lit me up. I really thought Bucknor was solid if unspectacular last year. He more than held his own, and I'd have no problem with starting him again this year, if need be. Thought he was a really pleasant surprise last season.

Bucknor held his own last year. I don't see a drop off between him and an American DB.

Man, I said this to 17to85 this morning on FB chat and he lit me up. I really thought Bucknor was solid if unspectacular last year. He more than held his own, and I'd have no problem with starting him again this year, if need be. Thought he was a really pleasant surprise last season.

With the new rule changes favoring the receiver, unspectacular DBs will not cut it anymore. It also makes me think that there might be a better chance for us to start 2 Canadians at rec. because of this.

With the new rule changes favoring the receiver, unspectacular DBs will not cut it anymore. It also makes me think that there might be a better chance for us to start 2 Canadians at rec. because of this.

I was thinking this too, The new rule changes, i think the 2 Bomber DB's it hurts the most are Bucknor and Washington. 

Everyone seems to have it set in stone that JFG would be that other Canadian  Receiver but i'm not sure about that, From all accounts and reports, Kris Bastien had a strong mini camp. Honestly, Kohlert is a lock IMO, the other Canadian receiver spot if we go that route, WIDE OPEN. 

I'm just gonna say this, I like JFG, i think he's a good backup and special teams player but... i feel if he's one of our starting receivers, That's probably not good. I mean the guy did make a few clutch grabs last season but basically sat on the bench for long periods of time, I think JFG like i said, good quality backup but not sure i'd want him starting. 

Adding a Canadian end who presumably can play 35-40 snaps a game is big. Thomas should be able to handle the rest on the interior. Still need Canadian depth on D. I'm not a fan of the assumption that this signing means the Bombers have solidified 3 NI spots on D. We're still one injury at LB or DL from a ratio nightmare. Don't think this signing impacts who the Bombers will draft.

I wouldn't call it a nightmare, that's a little extreme don't you think?

Needing two of Thomas, Briggs or Sherman on the field at all times would not be good.  Who knows if Newman will be anywhere close to where he was pre-injury?

Briggs has big potential, and I see him as kind of a hedge on Hurl, but the other two can't handle more than a couple dozen snaps a game in the right situations.

I think we might end up starting 8 Canadians for some in-game flexibility, assuming everyone is healthy.

The sooner we get Louie Richardson off the roster the better too.  This move probably guarantees it, we've got a good teams guy in Ivan Brown signed too who probably takes Richardson's spot directly, plus draft picks and Newman.

Adding a Canadian end who presumably can play 35-40 snaps a game is big. Thomas should be able to handle the rest on the interior. Still need Canadian depth on D. I'm not a fan of the assumption that this signing means the Bombers have solidified 3 NI spots on D. We're still one injury at LB or DL from a ratio nightmare. Don't think this signing impacts who the Bombers will draft.

Needing two of Thomas, Briggs or Sherman on the field at all times would not be good. Who knows if Newman will be anywhere close to where he was pre-injury?

Briggs has big potential, and I see him as kind of a hedge on Hurl, but the other two can't handle more than a couple dozen snaps a game in the right situations.

I think we might end up starting 8 Canadians for some in-game flexibility, assuming everyone is healthy.

The sooner we get Louie Richardson off the roster the better too. This move probably guarantees it, we've got a good teams guy in Ivan Brown signed too who probably takes Richardson's spot directly, plus draft picks and Newman.

Newman will be in the mix at LB too.

Needing two of Thomas, Briggs or Sherman on the field at all times would not be good. Who knows if Newman will be anywhere close to where he was pre-injury?

The sooner we get Louie Richardson off the roster the better too. This move probably guarantees it, we've got a good teams guy in Ivan Brown signed too who probably takes Richardson's spot directly, plus draft picks and Newman.

I'd be happy if he's ready to chase kicks.

Newman is listed as DB so I was thinking he would get a shot at Safety ?

Newman is listed as DB so I was thinking he would get a shot at Safety ?

Ya Newman can play both Safety and LB. With Leggett at Safety, I don't see Newman getting many reps there.

Thought Westerman was a tad younger, but 30 with 6 years in the NFL, hasn't played in 2 years.  Decent amount of mileage with some time on blocks.  Remember Riall Johnson?  Hope Westerman is able to live up to the hype.

Borderline NFL player who had three good years in the CFL...  I'll take it.

Anyone with knowledge regarding the draft? Any DE worth taking with one of our picks? Waud couldn't. Don't think Tennant could either. Any out there?

Mrarube-Afujo is decent if he falls to the 30 range which I doubt.

Super pumped about this signing for a few reasons. first one is obvious, impact canucks don't come along very often. Second, we strengthened an area of weakness of last season at the same time. We already have Good DT's, so a guy like Christo would be less impactful IMO then Westerman.

It's like 2 birds with one stone. Now we have Johnson, Booker, Fraser and Peach all competing for the other spot. I think Our Dline is going to be a thing of beauty again.

Needing two of Thomas, Briggs or Sherman on the field at all times would not be good.  Who knows if Newman will be anywhere close to where he was pre-injury?

The sooner we get Louie Richardson off the roster the better too.  This move probably guarantees it, we've got a good teams guy in Ivan Brown signed too who probably takes Richardson's spot directly, plus draft picks and Newman.

Potentially problematic, but we also possibly have the ability of starting up to 5 Nationals on offense, so depending on who's injured, we wouldn't have to even consider this as an option.  

I also think you'll be surprised of how Newman could get involved in more than just ST.

I do agree though that starting 8 is a good idea if we can pull it off.

I really would like Walters to start trade talk with Buono regarding the younger Westerman.

That would be a dream, but knowing Buono he would want an arm and a leg, probably including our second overall and I just can't see us parting with it.