Blue Bombers acquire defensive back in trade with Calgary

I've seen both play and Hurl is no Mike O'Shea.  In fact, he's not even close.

I haven't seen Hurl play so I can't comment on him , however O'Shea was as good as any LB I have seen play regardless of nationality. He may not have had the best 40 time ( he wasn't the fastest LB ) however he made up for it in Smarts Toughness and Desire. I would take O'Shea as my MLB anytime he was everything you want, there have been better MLB in the CFL but not many...

Hurl as starting MLB is a long shot.  Splitting time on the weak side with Newman is much more likely.

Newman got looks at middle, weak and safety until he got injured last year.  It will be the same for him and Hurl this year.  The Bombers will process all of that info and figure out what gives them their strongest 24 and their strongest 46.  At this point running a NI on the weak side looks to be that strongest 24, but that's why they have a training camp.

Hurl as starting MLB is a long shot.  Splitting time on the weak side with Newman is much more likely.

Newman got looks at middle, weak and safety until he got injured last year.  It will be the same for him and Hurl this year.  The Bombers will process all of that info and figure out what gives them their strongest 24 and their strongest 46.  At this point running a NI on the weak side looks to be that strongest 24, but that's why they have a training camp.

I feel pretty confident saying Newman will not see any time mlb this season. He's only 210. That was more of a crazy Etch thing imo.

I think between Hurl and Newman, we'll have a decent amount of production from a Canadian LB spot and to be honest, I don't really care where on the field that is. I'm not expecting it to be in the middle but that's what training camp is for.

I think between Hurl and Newman, we'll have a decent amount of production from a Canadian LB spot and to be honest, I don't really care where on the field that is. I'm not expecting it to be in the middle but that's what training camp is for.

My expectation is the amount of time Hurl spends on the field in the middle will have less to do with his abilities and more to do with what we find in this year's class of imports.  If there's an absolute stud in the bunch, we're not going to want to rotate him off the field.  If we're picking from a group of decent but not stellar import MACs, Hurl getting a larger percentage of snaps in the middle seems more likely.  I'm not taking any reps away from an Elimimian type to give them to Hurl, but would give him plenty of reps if the alternative is a Kuale type.  (I realize this thread will now devolve into Kuale rants)

I expect that second Canadian spot on d if that's how they do it will be a rotational position based on down and distance. With Thomas, Newman and Hurl getting the majority of those snaps. I also wonder if Leggett will be moved around too.

• 2 weeks later...