Stuart Olson alleges Triple B, province knew about design issues at IGF

Hello all.

Have been a lurker here for a while.

I have been watching this discussion for  a while now re: location.  I just can't stand not to comment any longer.

I would drive from Charleswood over the years to Canad Stadium and park on Silver on the other side of Route 90 for years, sometimes paid for private lots closer, but still just beside Route 90.

The Canad Inns Stadium location sucked more and more as development of the area progressed.  St. James Street and that whole area sucked, SUCKED !!!

As for IGF Field.... It is the only true Football Stadium in Canada with a world class artificial surface.  I sit in the second row in the upper deck on the 10 yard line and it is a dream come true for watching football.  I can jump up, take a pee in a beautiful washroom with lots of service/access, then refill getting a beer within a couple more minutes.  The seats are comfortable - we have cup holders.  My friends that are handicapped have amazing choices and sight lines and are easily moved to take care of their private business.  The food and access areas are miles ahead of Canad.

As for transportation access... with the shuttle system, park and ride etc. I understand now since last year it's a piece of cake to get too and from the stadium.  Me I was smart and put my money down early with my season tickets and bought a season pass in the blue section - I wasn't a cheap whiner like I am seeing here - I put my money where my mouth is.  Get over it whiners.

We are now watching football in paradise !!!!!   Grow up you negative nilly's.

I am going and sitting in the upper deck on Saturday in Regina at Mosaic.... now that is a peace of crap hole if you want to whine about something... obviously the whiners here have never been to Mosaic.

Go Bombers Go !!!!

Monorail... Monorail...

But Main Street's still all cracked and broken...

Sorry 17to85 the Negatrons have spoken

No.. Supah dupah hasn't said anything so... Only a small sample of the negatron minority has spoken.

Monorail... Monorail...

But Main Street's still all cracked and broken...

Sorry 17to85 the Negatrons have spoken

No.. Supah dupah hasn't said anything so... Only a small sample of the negatron minority has spoken.

I'd take crazy Lyle Lanley over our previous Lyle any day!

The second it was announced at the U of M site -- a logistical cluster truck -- just to get the government dollars it became a lame duck project.

It pains me that they didn't find a way to build downtown. Such a missed opportunity to create more vibrant city.

Now Regina is doing the same thing.

The worst complaint of them all.

The second it was announced at the U of M site -- a logistical cluster truck -- just to get the government dollars it became a lame duck project.

It pains me that they didn't find a way to build downtown. Such a missed opportunity to create more vibrant city.

Now Regina is doing the same thing.

The worst complaint of them all.

Actually, for Regina this is a good thing. The closer that you get to the city limits, the better.

Talk to anyone trying to get to the game on a weekday from Brandon, when they have to work til 5...it's next to impossible to get to a game before kickoff let alone catching any of the first quarter...the location would have been better at the ex grounds for anyone north or west of the city.

Talk to anyone trying to get to the game on a weekday from Brandon, when they have to work til 5...it's next to impossible to get to a game before kickoff let alone catching any of the first quarter...the location would have been better at the ex grounds for anyone north or west of the city.

Your reallllllly trying to say that the bombers should have catered to the... What. 1000 people out of town who attend games over the 27000 in Winnipeg?

Also, peremeter highway gets you from portage ave to pembina in very quick time.. Hell, I live in transcona and it took me under a half hour to get to stadium.. There was a 15 min walk due to not parking smartly but very little change to me in time from polo to pembina..

While I don't really care that it's been built where it is...I was truly hoping they would have just replaced it where the old one was. Only because I live 5 minutes away and never had to pay for parking and could drink all I wanted and not worry about getting a ride.

• 4 weeks later...

While I don't really care that it's been built where it is...I was truly hoping they would have just replaced it where the old one was. Only because I live 5 minutes away and never had to pay for parking and could drink all I wanted and not worry about getting a ride.

Man, you guys in West Winnipeg were so spoiled. I used to live in Riverview & later Southdale so now you get to feel the pain I had before I moved to Calgary going to Bomber & Jets games. Blue Bomber AND 1.0 Jets season ticket holder. Sorry, just can't feel sorry for you.

Hidden behind stupid paywall. Want to cut and paste?

Here ya go...

Architect denies responsibility for IGF design flaws

By: Bartley Kives

Investors Group Field was designed as a warm-weather football stadium that wouldn’t house outdoor concerts, its architect claims in response to a lawsuit over problems with the two-year-old CFL facility.

In a statement of defence against a claim filed by Triple B Stadium, architect Ray Wan denies responsibility for dozens of alleged design and construction deficiencies at the venue — and blames the owner for cracked concrete slabs throughout its concourses.

Triple B, a shell company representing the city, province, University of Manitoba and Winnipeg Football Club, owns Winnipeg’s $209-million, 33,500-seat football stadium. In a statement of claim filed in March, the corporation alleges Wan and construction company Stuart Olson are responsible for 42 "operational and design defects" that include slopes that drain water into the building, the absence of winterization and concrete slabs so weak they are "a problem for moving kegs of beer."

Stuart Olson fired back in May, alleging in a statement of defence Triple B Stadium and the Selinger government rushed Investors Group Field to completion and "knowingly approved a design without regard for the problems" at the Canadian Football League facility.

Stuart Olson also filed a cross-claim against Wan, who did not respond to requests for comment at the time. In a statement of defence and cross-claim filed in June, Wan rejects most of Triple B’s allegations and asks for the lawsuit to be dismissed, with costs.

The architect claims he designed the stadium under an agreement reached with original stadium builder Creswin Properties and later assigned to the shell company.

Triple B took over "without any revisions to the original design for a two-/three-season facility," the statement of claim alleges. "The plaintiff asked for a two-/three-season facility, not a four-season facility, to be constructed."

Wan also rejects responsibility for cuts into the stadium concrete and staircases that had to be installed well after construction started in order to allow concertgoers access to the field.

"Field-level seating became an issue when the plaintiff chose to explore the use of Investors Group Field for outdoor concerts, which was not contemplated in the original design," reads the statement of the defence.

These claims corroborate statements made to the Free Press by former Triple B chairman Phil Sheegl, who disclosed stadium-design issues in 2013.

Wan also suggests Triple B is responsible for cracked concrete at the stadium, which he describes as "restricted to the topping or wearing slab only and not the structural slab."

He alleges the cracked concrete slabs — which are being replaced over the course of a year at an expected cost of tens of millions of dollars — "is indicative of drying, shrinkage and restrained cracking that occurred during the curing process and is largely a construction-sequencing issue."

Wan also claims Triple B failed to submit a list of concession vendors and their loading requirements during the stadium’s design and construction process. Triple B then "ignored the loading requirements and made modifications not contemplated in the design," Wan alleges, "specifically with respect to the location and number of concessions, which has resulted in wear and tear on the surface level of the concrete flooring."

Wan claims Triple B agreed to only use hand-operated pallet jacks on the concourse but wound up using heavier, electric-powered jacks.

Wan also alleges Triple B made "numerous changes to selection of materials during the course of construction," and states delays in 2010 contributed to what the building’s owner calls a "poor co-ordination of building services" in its statement of claim.

Wan alleges Stuart Olson is responsible for some of the water damage at the stadium, due to what the architect describes as the "improper application and installation of the flooring assembly" and the builder’s "failure to properly seal the penetration."

Hidden behind stupid paywall. Want to cut and paste?

Here ya go...

Architect denies responsibility for IGF design flaws

By: Bartley Kives

These claims corroborate statements made to the Free Press by former Triple B chairman Phil Sheegl, who disclosed stadium-design issues in 2013.

There goes the credibility. Considering how much he lied about the fire station debacle to save his own skin I would take anything he says about this with a huge heaping helping of salt.

I am not an architect but it sounds like a guy who didn't think through the ramifications of his decisions and then expected the customer to catch his mistakes. That does not sound reasonable to me. Have some pride, think about the application. 2 to 3 season facility sounds like a crock. Football is played in the snow every year and winter comes every year so build a building to withstand winter. The restriction to hand jacks sounds crazy. Maybe the customer should have had another opinion on the design from some other architect but this sounds like a bunch of whining from someone who didn't do a thorough job. 

Wow.