Stuart Olson alleges Triple B, province knew about design issues at IGF

Why didnt they build 6 stadiums?  They could have had one in every area of the city so no one complained about location.

Im not a fan of Geoff Currier but my favourite call of his was a woman who called to complain about the location.  She said she lived very close to CIS and this new location was just awful because she would have to take the bus to the south end.  He said "and what have the south end residents been doing for years?"  She basically said she didnt care, since it was close to her already then it should stay there.

The whiners about traffic, all I can say is drive North on Route 90 to a concert or Football game at CIS, we were used to sitting in unmoving traffic.  Never complained because we grew up on it. 

IGF location is perfectly fine.  And guess what, it's down the street from me now.

Why didnt they build 6 stadiums?  They could have had one in every area of the city so no one complained about location.

Im not a fan of Geoff Currier but my favourite call of his was a woman who called to complain about the location.  She said she lived very close to CIS and this new location was just awful because she would have to take the bus to the south end.  He said "and what have the south end residents been doing for years?"  She basically said she didnt care, since it was close to her already then it should stay there.

The whiners about traffic, all I can say is drive North on Route 90 to a concert or Football game at CIS, we were used to sitting in unmoving traffic.  Never complained because we grew up on it. 

IGF location is perfectly fine.  And guess what, it's down the street from me now.

You're looking at it from your personal enjoyment perspective -- I look at it from the city's long term health perspective.

And downtown WPG is nowhere near its economic or quality of life potential. Frankly, it still sucks. 

Look at other major N-American cities with urban sprawl issues -- they are bending over backwards to try to keep entertainment development in the core, not transplant it into the burbs. 

Minneapolis is putting their new facility downtown for a reason. 

But hey, we'll always have Portage Place. 

You're looking at it from your personal enjoyment perspective -- I look at it from the city's long term health perspective.

And downtown WPG is nowhere near its economic or quality of life potential. Frankly, it still sucks. 

Look at other major N-American cities with urban sprawl issues -- they are bending over backwards to try to keep entertainment development in the core, not transplant it into the burbs. 

Minneapolis is putting their new facility downtown for a reason. 

But hey, we'll always have Portage Place. 

I was mostly being sarcastic.  I live in the south so the majority of my life I have had to travel to St James for sporting events.  It was the people who would have longer commutes to the South that whined about the unfairness of the location.

As others have said, a Stadium is not going to spark economic development for 10 games a year.  It just isnt.  Earls closed its Pembina HWY location after IGF opened.  I know some people who said thats crazy, they must make a killing being close to the Stadium.  Sure they do.  10 times a year.

The amount of space required for the Stadium in downtown Winnipeg would have been an albatross.  Like building a giant surface parking lot. 

And the CFL isnt the NFL.

Look at the MTSC.  Where was the massive economic development when the arena was built?  A damn sports bar right across the street couldnt make it work.  Tons of shops boarded up.  One could argue the return of the NHL helped spark some renewal but there are still empty shops.  The NHL helped businesses that were already there.  How many shops opened because of the NHL.  Centrepoint and Glasshouse are developments connected to True North.  Same with True North square.  Is that a coincedence?  And that's a facility that is busy year round.

The Polo Park site has way greater value being redeveloped for retail and/or residential.  IGF being where it is makes a lot of sense.  And once car-crazy Winnipeggers figured out that you cant all drive to the facility, the traffic situation increased dramatically to the point many of the temporary parking along Pembina HWY sits empty on game days.

The 2 times I have been to the Stadium I have taken the shuttle from Ass. Downs and loved it. No worrying about fighting traffic and sit back and get a ride home. Second time I walk to the Downs and Walked home afterwards. I would love to see a bus added that goes down portage to the Downs on game/concert nights.

The 2 times I have been to the Stadium I have taken the shuttle from Ass. Downs and loved it. No worrying about fighting traffic and sit back and get a ride home. Second time I walk to the Downs and Walked home afterwards. I would love to see a bus added that goes down portage to the Downs on game/concert nights.

Agreed the Shuttle has been majorly convenient,  I went a few times to State and Main for dinner at KP and took the shuttle to the game and it went lighting quick.  

The only gripe of course would be the drive back,  it would be nice if they had some magical road for the buses to go without having to crawl at such a slow pace.

You would need 4 square blocks to build a stadium downtown - 'bout 900 - 1000 feet long by 700 feet wide.  So you would have to raze another 3 blocks beside the convention centre in an attempt to fit the stadium.  All to create a giant dead zone in downtown for 10 football games and 3 or 4 concerts.  Silly idea.

Downtown WPG is a sea of surface parking. Its one of the main reasons  the downtown is such a hole compared to similar cities. 

So one end zone can go at the corner of Ellice and Donald, center field will be at Main and York, the other end zone over by Waterfront drive, spectators will sit at Hargraves and St. Mary, and the concessions are located on Carlton.

People are asked to use one of the nearby rivers if they need to go to the bathroom.  It is expected water quality will be improved.

Complaining about location after its built is pointless. It's a pretty great stadium. I live 2 minutes or so from the north perimeter and have had no issues getting to games on time.

It just took time for people to figure it out.  I know those first few games, people were told no parking access on campus and a lot of people tried anyway.  Not having cadets or cops working the lights was a negative because people would sit in the intersections and block traffic.  They figured it out though.

I know people that soon realised zipping around the perimeter was the easiest route, park at the Nob and shuttle in.  Im lucky that a buddy owned a condo at the corner of Pembina and Bison and we'd often park there and walk.

My only concern would be things like Grey Cup and the NHL game where you're going to have a lot less people biking and walking when it's -20. 

Winnipeg is still a small city, no where in that city is really out of the way for anyone. 

Not so much about distance as it is about getting on and off the campus which only has two direct entry/exit points.

Will be interesting to see how they have it organized for the Grey Cup, with thousands of people from out of town.

I also think they have a lot of work to do in terms of safety/crowd control after the games on University Crescent and Chancellor Matheson.  Just a matter of time until someone is killed or seriously injured there.

Winnipeg is still a small city, no where in that city is really out of the way for anyone. 

Not so much about distance as it is about getting on and off the campus which only has two direct entry/exit points.

Will be interesting to see how they have it organized for the Grey Cup, with thousands of people from out of town.

I also think they have a lot of work to do in terms of safety/crowd control after the games on University Crescent and Chancellor Matheson.  Just a matter of time until someone is killed or seriously injured there.

yeah but there's not that much parking on the campus itself right? I think it's quaint that Winnipeggers complain about traffic though. Winnipeg is a breeze for traffic compared to Calgary and Calgary isn't even all that bad compared to some other places. 

yeah but there's not that much parking on the campus itself right? I think it's quaint that Winnipeggers complain about traffic though. Winnipeg is a breeze for traffic compared to Calgary and Calgary isn't even all that bad compared to some other places. 

There are 5,000 parking spots available on campus, estimating at least 2 people per car, then that is 10,000 people or a 1/3 of the people driving.  But then the buses also use those same roads to get in and.  In fact they get priority over the cars.  So take into account enough buses to get another 10k - 15k people in and out.

So 5,000 vehicles + countless buses all converging into 2 roads in the same hour period before and after the game.    It has definitely gotten better since the first couple of games, but it can still be a pain getting out when it is more concentrated.

It is quaint how you take every opportunity to mock someone from Winnipeg for complaining about traffic wait time.  City size has nothing to do with having 30,000 people congregating to IGF field at the same time with only 2 entry points in and out.

We get it.  You got out.  You got to Alberta.  Land of greatness.    Congrats.

Be nice if they would put pedestrian overpasses on those roads.  Be much safer for those of us that walk and better flow for the cars and buses. 

Hell yea. Try any other major metropolitan area and then come back and tell me about traffic... I've been stuck for hours on freeways on vacation no less.. Spent more time in gridlock in Florida in a week then I would spend in 6 months going to work and back.. Frankly, much of my "rush hour" is free flowing with next to waiting and I go from route ninety to transcona or from Roblin and Dale to transcona.. 35-40 mins just about every time.

Going to the mall/restaurant/etc from hotel to location in almost every place I've been during rush hour.. 1.5 hours easy.. Freeways 8 wide completely stopped dead.

There are 5,000 parking spots available on campus, estimating at least 2 people per car, then that is 10,000 people or a 1/3 of the people driving.  But then the buses also use those same roads to get in and.  In fact they get priority over the cars.  So take into account enough buses to get another 10k - 15k people in and out.

So 5,000 vehicles + countless buses all converging into 2 roads in the same hour period before and after the game.    It has definitely gotten better since the first couple of games, but it can still be a pain getting out when it is more concentrated.

It is quaint how you take every opportunity to mock someone from Winnipeg for complaining about traffic wait time.  City size has nothing to do with having 30,000 people congregating to IGF field at the same time with only 2 entry points in and out.

We get it.  You got out.  You got to Alberta.  Land of greatness.    Congrats.

I took his whining as all winnipeggers whine about traffic.. Not just the game day traffic. And in reality, we have it realllllly good. Longest I've ever waited to exit from a sporting event here in the city was a half hour.. That was after parking on the top deck of the parkade beside mets centre. Bomber games are a breeze.. Either walk a few blocks and b gone or take a shuttle and wait 20-30 to get mobile.. Really not that big a deal..

Got to hear the new (and first and only) radio ad from Stuart Olsen Dominion on the drive home last night.  They are in our community.  They stand behind their work.  They adopt all cuddly puppies and kittens and give them loving homes.  Etc, etc.

Apparently they are feeling unloved these days.

• 1 month later...