Etch Fired

Jpan85

I'm just happy that we'd back in the running for Alex Hall, if, or when he comes back to the CFL.

No more of this, "doesn't fit in our system" BS.

When was that said?

O'Shea said the new DC will not pick any player personal going forward.

I meant when was it said by the Bombers that Hall wouldn't fit the system.

O'Shea said it on the coaches show.  Not those exact words.  He said there was no place for him in our defence.

That was mid year though, when we were running Etch's system.

I'm just happy that we'd back in the running for Alex Hall, if, or when he comes back to the CFL.

When was that said?

O'Shea said it on the coaches show.  Not those exact words.  He said there was no place for him in our defence.

I thought O'Shea said that at a time when our d-line was playing really well and it didn't have anything to do with the system.

When was that said?

I thought O'Shea said that at a time when our d-line was playing really well and it didn't have anything to do with the system.

I'm just telling you what he said.  He said there was no place for him in the defence.  You can interpret it however you want.

You guys are making some unbelievable HUGE leaps here with your logic, with what was actually said vs what MOS might have actually meant. Nobody has a clue what he really meant about Alex Hall, but you're applying some personal bias to make it all fit your own ideas. Yikes...

When was that said?

Yep. I believe that I heard the same thing last year. 

Here's his quote on Hall:

"Obviously Alex is a good player, but I don't know how he would fit in. We've got a lot of good players on our roster who don't get a chance to play right now. If you add another one to the mix, who do you bump?" said O'Shea.

You play that game and you say, oh this guy would be great or that guy would be great. But you have to always ask where they fit.  And what it really comes down to is, who are you going to release to get that guy on the roster? The way I see it right now, our roster has got some depth in areas, and we have some starters that are waiting to play who do a great job when they get the chance," he continued.

"When I look at Alex Hall, I see an edge pass-rusher, and I don't see how that fits in with Gary Etcheverry's defensive system where you don't just stand a guy out on the edge and let him rush the passer all day while the other guys clean up the run plays.  The way we are built we can't have guys who don't fit our system."

Here's his quote on Hall:

"Obviously Alex is a good player, but I don't know how he would fit in. We've got a lot of good players on our roster who don't get a chance to play right now. If you add another one to the mix, who do you bump?" said O'Shea.

You play that game and you say, oh this guy would be great or that guy would be great. But you have to always ask where they fit.  And what it really comes down to is, who are you going to release to get that guy on the roster? The way I see it right now, our roster has got some depth in areas, and we have some starters that are waiting to play who do a great job when they get the chance," he continued.

"When I look at Alex Hall, I see an edge pass-rusher, and I don't see how that fits in with Gary Etcheverry's defensive system where you don't just stand a guy out on the edge and let him rush the passer all day while the other guys clean up the run plays.  The way we are built we can't have guys who don't fit our system."

total leaps of faith in the interpretation....

Safe choice will be Benevides or Hall since both are established DC. Both won't come in cheap though given their experience.

Claybrooks will be a darkhorse in this race. He will come in relatively cheaper than those 2 above. Question is, is he willing to leave Calgary. I got a feeling he is O'shea's choice but it's a bit of a gamble.