Lawless - Attention O'Shea: Fire Etcheverry

gbill2004

Etcheverry's defence was terrible and was as big a reason as any for the Blue Bombers plummeting from an early 5-1 record to an unsatisfactory 7-11 finish. Likely the biggest.

Haha Gary Lawless is a *****. 

That aside, do you agree with him or not?  Etch was running the defense and it was not by any stretch a piece of art.

It just could be Miller and Walters will make the decision for him.

Here's hoping you're right on that...

I think that a point that has been overlooked in the Etch saga is the fact that this guy has not been all that successful throughout his career.  One or two good years with Saskatchewan but even there, they quickly grew tired of his "mad genius" defenses that work really well until OC's get enough tape on them.  You'll also recall that Etch hadn't played in the CFL since 2010, even though he'd been DC of the Grey Cup runners up two years in a row.  There's a reason for that.  

I was not a fan of any of the coordinator hires that O'Shea made, but at the same time, I'm willing to bet that neither MB or Etch were the first picks for those positions.   I would hope that both are replaced, but that's assuming that better people come along.  Here's hoping.

I think that a point that has been overlooked in the Etch saga is the fact that this guy has not been all that successful throughout his career.  One or two good years with Saskatchewan but even there, they quickly grew tired of his "mad genius" defenses that work really well until OC's get enough tape on them.  You'll also recall that Etch hadn't played in the CFL since 2010, even though he'd been DC of the Grey Cup runners up two years in a row.  There's a reason for that.  

I was not a fan of any of the coordinator hires that O'Shea made, but at the same time, I'm willing to bet that neither MB or Etch were the first picks for those positions.   I would hope that both are replaced, but that's assuming that better people come along.  Here's hoping.

Wasn't Etch let go in Saskatchewan because Marshall wanted to bring in his own guy. 

Wasn't Etch let go in Saskatchewan because Marshall wanted to bring in his own guy. 

I would say that's a very good assumption as all coaches want that. 

I recall that there was growing dissatisfaction with him in Saskatchewan as time went on.  A lot of people there seemed to feel that his "system" was becoming less and less effective and at the end of the 2010 season there was speculation that his days were numbered, and this was before Marshall was on the scene.

I recall that there was growing dissatisfaction with him in Saskatchewan as time went on.  A lot of people there seemed to feel that his "system" was becoming less and less effective and at the end of the 2010 season there was speculation that his days were numbered, and this was before Marshall was on the scene.

Dissatisfaction from fans but I don't recall there being anything said about players being dissatisfied with the system. 

Depressing thing is, if you look back at posts on the day Etch was hired here and folks were unhappy. 

Now that could be seen as already having their mind made up -- which isn't fair -- but also the prevailing prediction was:

"We'll come out hot and surprise other teams and then they'll all catch on and by Labour Day it will be a mess."

Which is basically what happened. 

Sad thing is, Marcel also met our expectations it seems. 

Kirk Penton ‏@PentonKirk 10m10 minutes ago

@3lue_n_6old Sounds like there's a power struggle over Etcheverry's future right now.

O'Shea wants to keep him, Walters/Miller want him gone.

I don't want to think about it and I dont think O'shea is the kind of person.

But if the Walters & Miller will force the dismissal of Etch, I hope that wont upset O'shea and quit his HC gig here.

@3lue_n_6old Sounds like there's a power struggle over Etcheverry's future right now.

If it's O'Shea digging in his heels to keep his old mentor, colour me not too surprised.  It would be interesting to know the details because in-fighting between the GM and HC is usually so dysfunctional that it fits perfectly with this team lately.

If it's O'Shea digging in his heels to keep his old mentor, colour me not too surprised.  It would be interesting to know the details because in-fighting between the GM and HC is usually so dysfunctional that it fits perfectly with this team lately.

no it doesn't...different people entirely.

The GM and coach are also good budz. I think they'll work things out and have to give Etch. the pink slip. IF they don't we'll be looking like we don't want change and poor to mediocre will be the order of the day as far as DC goes. Another failed year and O'Shea will be looking for work as well. Sometimes the hard decisions are part of the coaching maturing process. Let's hope they get it right.

no it doesn't...different people entirely.

Sorry, not sure what you're referring to there.  

My concern is that a HC needs to have people in place that he wants there, people he trusts.  So I'm speculating that this seems to be the case with Etch: O'Shea wants him there.  At the same time, O'Shea's higher ups are concerned that Etch is not working out and they want him replaced.  But that's a job for the HC, who doesn't want to do it.  And round and round we go, potentially.  So this ends with either the HC being told to fire him, which is bad, or O'Shea saying that he's not going to do it, which puts a big ol' bullseye on his back especially if things don't go well next year, also not good.

All in all it has the potential for yet more drama with this club and I think we've had more than enough of that stuff in the last few years.  What I'd like is a stable, competent group at the top of this organization (finally) and I'm getting the feeling that we're not quite there yet.

Or you know, Penton like others here could just be speculating. 

Yes, he could be, but usually they don't pull stuff like this out of thin air.  The term "power struggle" to me suggests that he's heard something.  Granted, how accurate that information is does remain to be seen.

But even if its true or not no one will ever admit. So it will remain as speculation but that doesn't mean it's not true.

Nowhere does it say that the struggle is to fire Etcheverry

Maybe the struggle involves Etch wanting control of the offence also.

That way he could make all kinds of formation/personnel changes to confuse the defence.

The interesting part would be seeing practices involving both these factions.