Lawless - Attention O'Shea: Fire Etcheverry

gbill2004

I think that 17's use of the word literally falls into the category of hyperbole and rhetoric.   That said, I do think he overstates his case a bit because I've seen nothing on this board that looks like Etch hate.  Rather what I see is people (myself included) who simply think that Etch is not really that good a coordinator.  And clearly when someone spends 3 seasons on the sidelines, I think that its safe to say that that feeling is shared by a lot of the tall foreheads in the CFL.  I look at O'Shea hiring him as a rookie mistake, a guy trying to do a solid for his old mentor.  Commendable, but not really that astute.  Hopefully, O'Shea learns a lesson from this.

And by the way 17, Etch is no worse that Hess, in my opinion.

You can use stats to prove anything, 14% of people know that.

Some people though are just so anti-Etch they're willing to ignore reality and live in their own little fantasy world where the guy is literally Hitler

Figuratively

Actually, sadly (for some), from the Oxford dictionary:

literally Line breaks: lit|er¦al¦ly

Pronunciation: /ˈlɪt(ə)rəli

/

Definition of literally in English: ADVERB

1In a literal manner or sense; exactly:the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the roundabouttiramisu, literally translated ‘pull-me-up’

1.1informal Used for emphasis while not being literally true:I have received literally thousands of letters

I'm not going to partake in the dumbing down of society to the point where rampant improper use of a word becomes an acceptable colloquialism.

I don't know, I have mixed feelings. On one hand, my first instinct was the same as yours. On the other hand, the basis of language is shared comprehension so if enough people use a word in a certain way then the  definition changes. That's just language evolving like it always has. There's no divine decree that says "literally" has to mean one thing or another. 

First they take away our right to violate syntax for dramatic emphasis and effect.

Then they take our guns.

Then they take our freedom.

I thought I heard somewhere that they will never take away our freedom.  Can't be sure because the dude talked funny and really really loud.

But if we are not vigilant, they may take away our lutefisk.

First they take away our right to violate syntax for dramatic emphasis and effect.

Then they take our guns.

Then they take our freedom.

I thought I heard somewhere that they will never take away our freedom.  Can't be sure because the dude talked funny and really really loud.

But if we are not vigilant, they may take away our lutefisk.

They take away my lutefisk when they can pry it from my cold dead fork.  Or if they steal it out of my freezer.