Negatrons, Gloomers & Homers

BigBlue

Rich and Mike. If there is a issue with name calling, stating someone is stupid, or dumb, that is on this site, I would think that as administrators or moderators, you each have the ability to to enforce the code of conduct. That would also include sanctioning trolls. To your credit, I see you pleading to the participants of the MBB, that's what leaders do. The same leaders could also mold the board with additional forms of ....uhm, motivation. And I hear ya.

I'd say we're fairly lenient. That being said, you'd probably be shocked at how much we do get rid of.

I won't speak for any of the other moderators or administrators around here, but I find that the majority of what I have to delete is stuff that stems from people not being willing or interested in using the report function and just taking it upon themselves to open fire on a post they deem against the code of conduct.

Myself, I very rarely see any posts that our members have reported. A few now and then.

Interesting background. Perhaps not seeing your behind the scenes work leaves a perspective that this is the Wild West. Additionally, when it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it's a duck. I'm not being coy. Certain labels are a portion of how humans communicate, we need that, and when true, can be very defensable. Leniency certainly adds to enjoyment of this site.

Interesting report done on posting habits. Nice to see Dave, Chad and I around 50%, which is how it should be. Just gotta keep am even keel and not lose your mind week in and week out.

Also, I'm a big believer that the Internet is the wild West. CFL Zone was the single best CFL board, and it's because it was every man for himself. If you wanna have an opinion, that's awesome, but be prepared to defend it at all times.

No opinion can be smart, dumb, correct or incorrect it's a personal belief something someone feels.  

no this is 100% false. Some opinions can be dumb and incorrect and some smart and correct. "I like chocolate more than vanilla" is a subjective opinion that depends on the person expressing said opinion, "In my opinion Drew Willy can't read a defense" is a dumb and incorrect opinion. 

All  "opinions" are subjective, regardless of their correctness. You seem to take it upon yourself frequently to be the arbiter of others opinions. I don't think that's helpful, and points I think to what the OP was saying in the first place.

To add to Mike's point about reporting, it is actually quite effective. I know Rich has responded quickly any time I have filed a legitimate report.

How many complaints to mods have you had to make?

Often when I disagree with someone's opinion and they have said something remotely offensive I will report it to have their post deleted.

No opinion can be smart, dumb, correct or incorrect it's a personal belief something someone feels.  

no this is 100% false. Some opinions can be dumb and incorrect and some smart and correct. "I like chocolate more than vanilla" is a subjective opinion that depends on the person expressing said opinion, "In my opinion Drew Willy can't read a defense" is a dumb and incorrect opinion. 

All  "opinions" are subjective, regardless of their correctness. You seem to take it upon yourself frequently to be the arbiter of others opinions. I don't think that's helpful, and points I think to what the OP was saying in the first place.

That's because I am the arbiter. 

I've said this many times. You can be a true fan & yet still question decisions as well as criticize. Being critical doesn't mean you aren't a good fan.There's nothing wrong with asking What the hell is going on? Or expecting Bomber management, players & coaches to be accountable. Being pissed off shows people care. If they stop then the Bombers need to really worry as people have stopped caring. Now if posters here are always pissed off or saying the same things a hundred times over then okay they can be called out. We've seen posters here constantly non stop criticize Drew Willy. One post after another post after another. The same people.  It gets old after awhile. As far as treating posters negatively, I can certainly be that way but it's hard not to be like that with some of the comments being made. Bottom line is we should at least try & respect one another. 

I've said this many times. You can be a true fan & yet still question decisions as well as criticize. Being critical doesn't mean you aren't a good fan.There's nothing wrong with asking What the hell is going on? Or expecting Bomber management, players & coaches to be accountable. Being pissed off shows people care. If they stop then the Bombers need to really worry as people have stopped caring. Now if posters here are always pissed off or saying the same things a hundred times over then okay they can be called out. We've seen posters here constantly non stop criticize Drew Willy. One post after another post after another. The same people.  It gets old after awhile. As far as treating posters negatively, I can certainly be that way but it's hard not to be like that with some of the comments being made. Bottom line is we should at least try & respect one another. 

I'm not sure that this post is directed at me but I suspect it might be... I haven't criticized Willy all year until this last game, and I realize now that the vitriol that I've expressed should probably be directed at the coaching staff more so than Willy himself, as they are the source of my frustration.

Anyhow, I apologize if my recent comments have made this board harder to read.

I'm not sure that this post is directed at me but I suspect it might be... I haven't criticized Willy all year until this last game, and I realize now that the vitriol that I've expressed should probably be directed at the coaching staff more so than Willy himself, as they are the source of my frustration.

Anyhow, I apologize if my recent comments have made this board harder to read.

Not gonna name names. People know who they are.  Anyway, appreciate the apology. 

I bet I've been a fan of this team for longer than you've been alive.  Your judgment of others "level" of  fan support  means absolutely  nothing to anyone, except you. Don't you think it would be more productive to try to not antagonize people all the time?

All "opinions" are subjective, regardless of their correctness. You seem to take it upon yourself frequently to be the arbiter of others opinions. I don't think that's helpful, and points I think to what the OP was saying in the first place.

I bet I've been a fan of this team for longer than you've been alive. Your judgment of others "level" of fan support means absolutely nothing to anyone, except you. Don't you think it would be more productive to try tonot antagonize people all the time?
But where's the fun in that?

In 2011 I did a study on the ourbombers community, looking to see how members posting' frequency varied in the 3 days following wins vs. the 3 days following losses.

What I found was that certain posters were way more likely to post in the days following a loss. Losses seemed to energize those posters, making them louder.

I also noticed that a lot of the posters that I personally respect were participating consistently no matter how the team was doing.

(here's the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiLFGLZnbIP9dC1UaGRVRWNzd2Z4Q3o5Ni1RQ25vc2c&usp=drive_web#gid=0)

That's really interesting. 66% of my posts were following a loss, but I think that's more indicative to all the losing we were doing.

WERE? 12 losses = 66% of the schedule! Those numbers are bang on! Haha

I actually did this study back in July 2012, looking at the 2011 season (including playoffs) and the first two weeks of the 2012 regular season. We were exactly .500 in that stretch, going 11-11, so it was the perfect opportunity to figure these numbers out.

You have Spuds way too far on one end, TBurg WAY too far on the other end. The best place to be is somewhere in the middle of that. I think that's where *most* on here do tend to fall...

Hey hey hey.. Whoa.. Pump the brakes buddy, I've been waaaaaay less of a homer then I was in previous seasons.. I do toe the company line but I've also questioned far more things and argued for the cause far less often then before..

I bet I've been a fan of this team for longer than you've been alive.  Your judgment of others "level" of  fan support  means absolutely  nothing to anyone, except you. Don't you think it would be more productive to try to not antagonize people all the time?

Good for you? Does that make a difference? A lot of people like to claim to be huge fans without actually backing it up, I'm just pointing out when people are wrong. If you think anything is personal, it's not, you just might happen to be one of those people who are always wrong and need the most correcting. 

Good for you? Does that make a difference? A lot of people like to claim to be huge fans without actually backing it up, I'm just pointing out when people are wrong. If you think anything is personal, it's not, you just might happen to be one of those people who are always wrong and need the most correcting. 

Wow, you must be a hit at work.

Because there is a large contingent of people / lurkers who see and feel that if they post their opinion and are going to get personally attacked for it, they won’t do it. 

part of putting your opinion out there is subjecting it to the judgement of the masses. Not every opinion is valid or good and if you can't handle people judging your opinions then lurking is the best place for someone to be.

As for homers. gloomers or whatever else, it's not about being negative, it's just that some people do fall into these categories. I can think of some people who always say positive things about the team, and I can think of people who do massively under rate things about this team. This isn't about disagreeing with opinions, it's about some people always acting in the same way. I like to think that I am a positive person in general with regards to the Bombers, but I can point out when something isn't good enough without resorting to the hyperbole that some people seem to need to do. Flaws can be pointed out without the doom and gloom. Positives can be pointed out without being a kool aid drinker. A lot of people here don't seem to get that though. 

Then judge people's opinions, I have no issues with that.  Calling someone stupid, dumb, or any personal insult is what I have issue with.  That includes calling someone's opinion stupid.  If you feel that passionately about what someone typed to actually respond to it, then tell them why you disagree with it, not simply that it is a dumb opinion.

I've seen message boards were new people posting are jumped on by multiple different people when they post.  Haven't really seen it happen here, but that pack mentality is bad for message boards.

I am sorry but some opinions are stupid and deserve to be called so. To not do it is to do a disservice to people. They will go on continuing to think just because it's their opinion that it's valid and right because everyone is entitled to their opinions.

That is not true at all. If you give someone constructive criticism, then you have given them the exact reason why what they said is wrong. Words like stupid, other than the fact that they are insulting, are too vague. They don't explain why they're wrong.

Also, if you bash someone's opinion more (insulting more than constructive), then the other person may be even more defiant and get defensive and continue to back up their incorrect opinion.

My $.02.

Because there is a large contingent of people / lurkers who see and feel that if they post their opinion and are going to get personally attacked for it, they won’t do it. 

part of putting your opinion out there is subjecting it to the judgement of the masses. Not every opinion is valid or good and if you can't handle people judging your opinions then lurking is the best place for someone to be.

As for homers. gloomers or whatever else, it's not about being negative, it's just that some people do fall into these categories. I can think of some people who always say positive things about the team, and I can think of people who do massively under rate things about this team. This isn't about disagreeing with opinions, it's about some people always acting in the same way. I like to think that I am a positive person in general with regards to the Bombers, but I can point out when something isn't good enough without resorting to the hyperbole that some people seem to need to do. Flaws can be pointed out without the doom and gloom. Positives can be pointed out without being a kool aid drinker. A lot of people here don't seem to get that though. 

Then judge people's opinions, I have no issues with that.  Calling someone stupid, dumb, or any personal insult is what I have issue with.  That includes calling someone's opinion stupid.  If you feel that passionately about what someone typed to actually respond to it, then tell them why you disagree with it, not simply that it is a dumb opinion.

I've seen message boards were new people posting are jumped on by multiple different people when they post.  Haven't really seen it happen here, but that pack mentality is bad for message boards.

I am sorry but some opinions are stupid and deserve to be called so. To not do it is to do a disservice to people. They will go on continuing to think just because it's their opinion that it's valid and right because everyone is entitled to their opinions.

That is not true at all. If you give someone constructive criticism, then you have given them the exact reason why what they said is wrong. Words like stupid, other than the fact that they are insulting, are too vague. They don't explain why they're wrong.

Also, if you bash someone's opinion more (insulting more than constructive), then the other person may be even more defiant and get defensive and continue to back up their incorrect opinion.

My $.02.

That is what separates the people who just want to hear themselves ***** and moan and vent and the people who actually have some solid reasoning behind their opinions. If you can't defend your opinion it's probably invalid. If you can defend it though then you're ahead of the game. 

My $.02.

That is what separates the people who just want to hear themselves ***** and moan and vent and the people who actually have some solid reasoning behind their opinions. If you can't defend your opinion it's probably invalid. If you can defend it though then you're ahead of the game. 

It's kind of amazing that a 14 year old kid gets it better than a grown adult.

In any intelligent discussion .. if you have to resort to base name calling .. regardless of the opinion, subject matter or how you feel about a given topic.  You've lost.   Lack of civility almost always derails any rational exchange; it resuls in polarization and limits the ability to find a middle ground.  If anything, people who resort to name calling are the ones, ".. who just want to hear themselves ***** and moan .." because they show themselves unwilling to participate in thoughtful conversation.

/shrug.

At any rate, I hope we can return to discussing football .. the end of this season and what's on the horizon for next year .. I hate having to lock topics.

My $.02.

In any intelligent discussion .. if you have to resort to base name calling .. regardless of the opinion, subject matter or how you feel about a given topic.  You've lost.   Lack of civility almost always derails any rational exchange; it resuls in polarization and limits the ability to find a middle ground.  If anything, people who resort to name calling are the ones, ".. who just want to hear themselves ***** and moan .." because they show themselves unwilling to participate in thoughtful conversation.

/shrug.

At any rate, I hope we can return to discussing football .. the end of this season and what's on the horizon for next year .. I hate having to lock topics.

No that's flawed because middle ground doesn't exist in a lot of cases and there's no need to meet there. This isn't a negotiation. And given some of the people around here it's not intelligent discussion either. All that 14 year old kid gets is his feelings hurt when people don't like him. Some opinions are crap and deserve to be treated like it. I'll participate in thoughtful discussion, but a lot of times there's no thought put in by people and I'm not going to pretend that there is. Too many overly sensitive types around here. 

My $.02.

/shrug.

No that's flawed because middle ground doesn't exist in a lot of cases and there's no need to meet there. This isn't a negotiation. And given some of the people around here it's not intelligent discussion either. All that 14 year old kid gets is his feelings hurt when people don't like him. Some opinions are crap and deserve to be treated like it. I'll participate in thoughtful discussion, but a lot of times there's no thought put in by people and I'm not going to pretend that there is. Too many overly sensitive types around here. 

And if you don't like the discussion, don't partake in it, walk away, don't post, don't reply.  You only shed light on, amplify, and acknowledge what you deem as thoughtless opinions.

Hate to break it to you, but you aren't the "intelligent police".