Cotton BABY!

Logan007

Eat that doubters.  See what happens when you give your RB more then 10 carries and he actually knows how to run through holes?  14 attempts for 108 yards and 2 TD against one of the best teams (if not the best) in the league.  Grigsby was a fantastic receiver, but he would hesitate when those holes were opened for him.  Cotton see's the hole, no matter how small, and runs straight through it.  Loving me some Cotton again.

Yes he looked much better than Grigsby ever has here. I hope his play continues he was very promising in TC but did squat in the regular season up until last night. Nice to see

I explained it to you many many times, you actually have to give a running back a chance to see what he can do. Cotton won the job outright in training camp, but got hurt and Grigsby had 2 good games to start the year so they didn't make a change, but Cotton was always the better runner because he was better able to slip through small holes and pick up positive yards. It was never about how many rushing yards each got, it was about one back being a ***** and the other actually being able to get positive yards from some bad situations. They actually gave him a proper chance against Calgary and he had a similar yards per carry as he did in the preseason. Least surprised guy about that is me. 

Eat that doubters.  See what happens when you give your RB more then 10 carries and he actually knows how to run through holes?  14 attempts for 108 yards and 2 TD against one of the best teams (if not the best) in the league.  Grigsby was a fantastic receiver, but he would hesitate when those holes were opened for him.  Cotton see's the hole, no matter how small, and runs straight through it.  Loving me some Cotton again.

Yes he looked much better than Grigsby ever has here. I hope his play continues he was very promising in TC but did squat in the regular season up until last night. Nice to see

I explained it to you many many times, you actually have to give a running back a chance to see what he can do. Cotton won the job outright in training camp, but got hurt and Grigsby had 2 good games to start the year so they didn't make a change, but Cotton was always the better runner because he was better able to slip through small holes and pick up positive yards. It was never about how many rushing yards each got, it was about one back being a ***** and the other actually being able to get positive yards from some bad situations. They actually gave him a proper chance against Calgary and he had a similar yards per carry as he did in the preseason. Least surprised guy about that is me. 

Now now.

Now now.

Careful now.  Only Mike is allowed to make predictions that come true.

Mike, why isn't your sig "CALLED IT!"?

;)

Always something isn't there. The way he runs? who cares, he's productive or was this last game against a very good Calgary team coming off a bye week.

One thing i will say, Cotton seems to get more yards than  Grigsby, sure he was stuffed a few times but for the most part, he had some pretty good first down production, i think we were 2nd and short, or 2nd and 5 or so more this game then any other game this season.. He did have a couple big  runs too but... basically grigsby would get 1 or 2 yards maybe 3, and then have one or 2 big runs, Cotton seems to be more consistent or like i said, at least was this last game. The main difference tho, i think Cotton hit the holes the oline opened up for him, Grigsby didn't. That's the difference there. Cotton = North South. Grigsby = East West all the time. Always tried to do it on his own it seemed, Cotton used his team mates better, and by team mates i mean the oline.

Oline probably loves a guy like Cotton who sees the hole and hits it, probably could get very frustrating with a guy like Grigsby back there, opening up holes, cuz the oline did open up holes for Grigsby but he just wouldn't see it or try to do it all on his own, Cotton seems to have.. hmm, i suppose this work, Cotton has better vision, by that i mean, he's more patient and allows the hole to open up, if it's not there, he just goes forward not sideways. 

On numerous occasions Cotton ran straight into narrow creases, and then through them, for a positive gain. Grigsby would have stopped dead in his tracks because he simply wasn't able to break tackles and doesn't have the vision to see where the crease might be unless it was a gaping hole. Grigsby was not a very good running back.

It's too bad it took until the playoffs had basically slipped away for them to see it. Oh well I chalk it up to a learning experience for MOS. 

It is a shame they waited so long. MOS should've benched Grigsby for Cotton 7-8 games ago and maybe even given Drew (Happy Feet) Willy a rest at the same time.

I worry that O'Shea (who admits, and has demonstrated by his comments, that he knows nothing about the offensive phase of the game) might be too stubborn to learn from his or his coordinators errors.

I mean this is an O that is guided by Buck Pierce and terminally-mediocre Marcel Bellefueille, and our lack offensive production combined with ill-timed offensive turnovers has been the achilles heel of this club all season long.

Kyle Walters and Wade Miller aren't exactly offensive geniuses either. This could be a problem going forward.

LeBird, on 19 Oct 2014 - 10:36 AM, said:

Logan007, on 19 Oct 2014 - 09:30 AM, said:

Cotton played behind an oline like we had the first games of the year where Grigsby ran for 120 yards. In last week's game where Cotton played behind the same line Grigsby had been he did just as little. Cotton did have a very good game but surely you will admit the line was totally different than it had been since the beginning of September.

We may have made some rotations since the week before when Cotton played, but our O-line did not just all the sudden get better like you are suggesting.  Granted Calgary was without Charleston Hughes which may have made their job a little easier, but it wasn't all that much better.  Cotton showed much more explosiveness when taking that ball ahead than Grigsby did.  Grigs was okay once he got into open space, Cotton on the other hand really did not need that, he created it himself.  Sometimes you go running the ball a certain way and it works fantastic, other times not so much, but I think Paris has proven he is a lot more consistent with his running style.  Sure some of Brohm's passes and Marve's scrambling helped a little, but at the end of the day, it's proven that Cotton runs with much more conviction.

It's too bad it took until the playoffs had basically slipped away for them to see it. Oh well I chalk it up to a learning experience for MOS. 

It is a shame they waited so long. MOS should've benched Grigsby for Cotton 7-8 games ago and maybe even given Drew (Happy Feet) Willy a rest at the same time.

I worry that O'Shea (who admits, and has demonstrated by his comments, that he knows nothing about the offensive phase of the game) might be too stubborn to learn from his or his coordinators errors.

I mean this is an O that is guided by Buck Pierce and terminally-mediocre Marcel Bellefueille, and our lack offensive production combined with ill-timed offensive turnovers has been the achilles heel of this club all season long.

Kyle Walters and Wade Miller aren't exactly offensive geniuses either. This could be a problem going forward.

It's comments like these that make me shake my head.

We should bring back Jim Bell. He just set the PIT Football record for TD passes in a season, he obviously knows what is needed to turn our offense around.

I have been thinking for a long time, since maybe game two of the season that the offense was going to be the problem with the season for this team. A couple of reasons for this: 1. we have a o coordinator who has not been very successful during his time in the CFL and 2. we have Buck Pierce as a position coach and one that he is not well versed in. I also made the assumption that Pierce would likely be dealing with the QBs more than the running backs. The combination of these facts seemed to show me a few things which seem to have evolved during the season: 1. our offense regardless of what we think of the o line has become predictable with the exception of the last half of the last game, 2. our QB Willy in particular has developed happy feet and has also developed a tendency to hold the ball far too long (before you blame the o line for not giving him more time ask yourself how many times you have seen receivers standing still making a catch rather than running to a spot where the ball is being thrown and also consider how Brohm and Mavre were able to pick targets quicker than Willy even though Marve moved the pocket much better) and 3. our running game was/is next to nil (I too like Cotton but one game does not make him a good running back) and that can be related directly back to those in control of the offense. Reminds me a little of Tim Burke - great defensive mine who left the offense to others (one the same name as the incumbent) and what did that get him? 

With all that said I personally like Pierce as a person, not a positional coach - he does not possess the broad vision or knowledge required simply review his playing career to substantiate that comment. Secondly I don't believe our present O coordinator cannot and will not be successful in the CFL. For some reason he does not understand or if he does will not incorporate any timing routes for his receivers aka Cavillo in Montreal. And thirdly, they have to get Willie some good QB coaching - he could be our QB of the future but at the rate he is going he will not.

Just my thought

Just re-watched the Stamps game and have to marvel at Cornish's running ability, he is an absolute beast.  Every time he touches the ball it's a first down. Can't put a finger on what makes him so great but have to think we're watching one of the best RB's to ever play in the CFL.

And he's Canadian.  That makes him extra special.

Jon Cornish is out against #Riders. He's "sore." #CFL

We gave him a boo-boo.

That says everything you need to know about how teams feel about the Riders without Durant "we can beat them with our backups"

Just re-watched the Stamps game and have to marvel at Cornish's running ability, he is an absolute beast.  Every time he touches the ball it's a first down. Can't put a finger on what makes him so great but have to think we're watching one of the best RB's to ever play in the CFL.

Cornish is just that real good mix of speed and power. He's big and strong and has good enough balance he can run through tackles but he's also fast enough to break some big runs if he gets a hole. If you can draw up the kind of running back every team wants to have that's the guy there. 

We gave him a boo-boo.

That says everything you need to know about how teams feel about the Riders without Durant "we can beat them with our backups"

Cornish is just that real good mix of speed and power. He's big and strong and has good enough balance he can run through tackles but he's also fast enough to break some big runs if he gets a hole. If you can draw up the kind of running back every team wants to have that's the guy there. 

They just don't want Brackenridge to hurt JonJon before the playoffs.

Scott Mitchell @SUNMitchell

We gave him a boo-boo.

Just re-watched the Stamps game and have to marvel at Cornish's running ability, he is an absolute beast. Every time he touches the ball it's a first down. Can't put a finger on what makes him so great but have to think we're watching one of the best RB's to ever play in the CFL.

The fact he is Canadian is such a bonus as well..

We gave him a boo-boo.

Just re-watched the Stamps game and have to marvel at Cornish's running ability, he is an absolute beast. Every time he touches the ball it's a first down. Can't put a finger on what makes him so great but have to think we're watching one of the best RB's to ever play in the CFL.

He's 30 years old though. Only has a year or so left before he falls off a cliff and is out of the league. Signs of him already falling apart.

We gave him a boo-boo.

He kind of reminds me of Tony Dorsett the way he carries his momentum, smooth, fast and powerful.

I have been thinking for a long time, since maybe game two of the season that the offense was going to be the problem with the season for this team. A couple of reasons for this: 1. we have a o coordinator who has not been very successful during his time in the CFL and 2. we have Buck Pierce as a position coach and one that he is not well versed in. I also made the assumption that Pierce would likely be dealing with the QBs more than the running backs. The combination of these facts seemed to show me a few things which seem to have evolved during the season: 1. our offense regardless of what we think of the o line has become predictable with the exception of the last half of the last game, 2. our QB Willy in particular has developed happy feet and has also developed a tendency to hold the ball far too long (before you blame the o line for not giving him more time ask yourself how many times you have seen receivers standing still making a catch rather than running to a spot where the ball is being thrown and also consider how Brohm and Mavre were able to pick targets quicker than Willy even though Marve moved the pocket much better) and 3. our running game was/is next to nil (I too like Cotton but one game does not make him a good running back) and that can be related directly back to those in control of the offense. Reminds me a little of Tim Burke - great defensive mine who left the offense to others (one the same name as the incumbent) and what did that get him? 

With all that said I personally like Pierce as a person, not a positional coach - he does not possess the broad vision or knowledge required simply review his playing career to substantiate that comment. Secondly I don't believe our present O coordinator cannot and will not be successful in the CFL. For some reason he does not understand or if he does will not incorporate any timing routes for his receivers aka Cavillo in Montreal. And thirdly, they have to get Willie some good QB coaching - he could be our QB of the future but at the rate he is going he will not.

Just my thought

For all the criticisms of the defence, the D hasn't been our most glaring liability. Lack of offensive production has been the achilles heel. In those fluky wins earlier this year, it was defence and special teams had to chip in and help score points.  If you look at it objectively, this team hasn't progressed much beyond last year. We've relied too much on a rookie QB who is essentially an NFL-style pocket passer whose become gun shy from too many hits - and an uncreative offensive scheme that seems unable to adjust. If you want to go to this kind of Calvillo-style, straight drop QB, you have to pass protect and have a decent running game to take pressure off the thrower. We've had neither. Bombers don't have top level offensive experience and collective offensive memory among the coaches, unfortunately, and it shows because they haven't done anything to correct these problems which, as you point out, started 2-3 games in.

We gave him a boo-boo.

He's 30 years old though. Only has a year or so left before he falls off a cliff and is out of the league. Signs of him already falling apart.

That's an incredibly bold prediction. I bet he plays until he's 33 at least.

Just my thought

For all the criticisms of the defence, the D hasn't been our most glaring liability. Lack of offensive production has been the achilles heel. In those fluky wins earlier this year, it was defence and special teams had to chip in and help score points.  If you look at it objectively, this team hasn't progressed much beyond last year. We've relied too much on a rookie QB who is essentially an NFL-style pocket passer whose become gun shy from too many hits - and an uncreative offensive scheme that seems unable to adjust. If you want to go to this kind of Calvillo-style, straight drop QB, you have to pass protect and have a decent running game to take pressure off the thrower. We've had neither. Bombers don't have top level offensive experience and collective offensive memory among the coaches, unfortunately, and it shows because they haven't done anything to correct these problems which, as you point out, started 2-3 games in.

I don't think there is any way that you can discount the defence for having lost us games. It's a combination of both. The defence can't stop the run in the 4th quarter of games because they are not schemed to stop the run, and are often tired because they have been on the field too long in some games. Yes that may play into your argument, but it is not the case in all games. To blame the QB and the offensive play calling solely is foolish. Everything has to be looked at in context, and not generally over the period of games, but even each game individually. Your comments certainly do not apply to every game played..e.g. Bombers vs Lions in their first game.

Yes lets blame the QB and play calling solely for all the sloppy tackling on the defence...that will solve everything.