Cotton BABY!

Logan007

Scott Mitchell @SUNMitchell

Jon Cornish is out against #Riders. He's "sore." #CFL

We gave him a boo-boo.

That says everything you need to know about how teams feel about the Riders without Durant "we can beat them with our backups"

Just re-watched the Stamps game and have to marvel at Cornish's running ability, he is an absolute beast. Every time he touches the ball it's a first down. Can't put a finger on what makes him so great but have to think we're watching one of the best RB's to ever play in the CFL.

Cornish is just that real good mix of speed and power. He's big and strong and has good enough balance he can run through tackles but he's also fast enough to break some big runs if he gets a hole. If you can draw up the kind of running back every team wants to have that's the guy there.
The fact he is Canadian is such a bonus as well..
He's 30 years old though. Only has a year or so left before he falls off a cliff and is out of the league. Signs of him already falling apart.

That's an incredibly bold prediction. I bet he plays until he's 33 at least.

There's always exceptions but age 30 is the magic number when most RBs fall off a cliff.

We gave him a boo-boo.

That says everything you need to know about how teams feel about the Riders without Durant "we can beat them with our backups"

Just re-watched the Stamps game and have to marvel at Cornish's running ability, he is an absolute beast. Every time he touches the ball it's a first down. Can't put a finger on what makes him so great but have to think we're watching one of the best RB's to ever play in the CFL.

Cornish is just that real good mix of speed and power. He's big and strong and has good enough balance he can run through tackles but he's also fast enough to break some big runs if he gets a hole. If you can draw up the kind of running back every team wants to have that's the guy there.
He's 30 years old though. Only has a year or so left before he falls off a cliff and is out of the league. Signs of him already falling apart.

There's always exceptions but age 30 is the magic number when most RBs fall off a cliff.

He should extend his career by moving to Manitoba where there are not too many cliffs to fall off.

We gave him a boo-boo.

He should extend his career by moving to Manitoba where there are not too many cliffs to fall off.

And an added bonus: we only try to run the ball 5 or 6 times per game. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the old bod,specially when the running back is grabbed in the backfield before he builds up momentum which usually makes for a more violent collision. We're good to our backs that way.

He may not be an MOP candidate much longer, but its completely insane to expect the reigning MOP who is a Canadian to be out of the league next year.

People said that same about Charles Roberts until he fell off a cliff...at age 30.  Happens to most RBs.  I'll give Cornish one more year in the league after this season until he's done.  He's already showing signs that his body is falling apart.

We gave him a boo-boo.

I would bet that almost every running back in the league is somewhat banged up at this point, and the Stamps have first place pretty much sewn up, so why not give Cornish some downtime to heal?

He only need half of a game against the Bombers to get a production that is 2 games worth for other CFL teams RBs.

I have been thinking for a long time, since maybe game two of the season that the offense was going to be the problem with the season for this team. A couple of reasons for this: 1. we have a o coordinator who has not been very successful during his time in the CFL and 2. we have Buck Pierce as a position coach and one that he is not well versed in. I also made the assumption that Pierce would likely be dealing with the QBs more than the running backs. The combination of these facts seemed to show me a few things which seem to have evolved during the season: 1. our offense regardless of what we think of the o line has become predictable with the exception of the last half of the last game, 2. our QB Willy in particular has developed happy feet and has also developed a tendency to hold the ball far too long (before you blame the o line for not giving him more time ask yourself how many times you have seen receivers standing still making a catch rather than running to a spot where the ball is being thrown and also consider how Brohm and Mavre were able to pick targets quicker than Willy even though Marve moved the pocket much better) and 3. our running game was/is next to nil (I too like Cotton but one game does not make him a good running back) and that can be related directly back to those in control of the offense. Reminds me a little of Tim Burke - great defensive mine who left the offense to others (one the same name as the incumbent) and what did that get him? 

With all that said I personally like Pierce as a person, not a positional coach - he does not possess the broad vision or knowledge required simply review his playing career to substantiate that comment. Secondly I don't believe our present O coordinator cannot and will not be successful in the CFL. For some reason he does not understand or if he does will not incorporate any timing routes for his receivers aka Cavillo in Montreal. And thirdly, they have to get Willie some good QB coaching - he could be our QB of the future but at the rate he is going he will not.

Just my thought

For all the criticisms of the defence, the D hasn't been our most glaring liability. Lack of offensive production has been the achilles heel. In those fluky wins earlier this year, it was defence and special teams had to chip in and help score points.  If you look at it objectively, this team hasn't progressed much beyond last year. We've relied too much on a rookie QB who is essentially an NFL-style pocket passer whose become gun shy from too many hits - and an uncreative offensive scheme that seems unable to adjust. If you want to go to this kind of Calvillo-style, straight drop QB, you have to pass protect and have a decent running game to take pressure off the thrower. We've had neither. Bombers don't have top level offensive experience and collective offensive memory among the coaches, unfortunately, and it shows because they haven't done anything to correct these problems which, as you point out, started 2-3 games in.

I don't think there is any way that you can discount the defence for having lost us games. It's a combination of both. The defence can't stop the run in the 4th quarter of games because they are not schemed to stop the run, and are often tired because they have been on the field too long in some games. Yes that may play into your argument, but it is not the case in all games. To blame the QB and the offensive play calling solely is foolish. Everything has to be looked at in context, and not generally over the period of games, but even each game individually. Your comments certainly do not apply to every game played..e.g. Bombers vs Lions in their first game.

Yes lets blame the QB and play calling solely for all the sloppy tackling on the defence...that will solve everything.

Bombers have been out rushed by their opponent in 13 of their 16 games but have only been out passed by their opponent in 7 of those games.

We gave him a boo-boo.

Just re-watched the Stamps game and have to marvel at Cornish's running ability, he is an absolute beast.  Every time he touches the ball it's a first down. Can't put a finger on what makes him so great but have to think we're watching one of the best RB's to ever play in the CFL.

They just don't want Brackenridge to hurt JonJon before the playoffs.

Brackenridge is still playing? 

Haven't noticed him much.

BC played terrible, and we still lost, again! At home! Again! Mostly due to a QB who panicks for no reason, is as slow as mollases and a coach that will not bench players playign terrible until it's too late.

Yep, BC didn't cover our receivers or anything like that.

Apologist 101!  So bloody predictable.

BC played terrible, and we still lost, again! At home! Again! Mostly due to a QB who panicks for no reason, is as slow as mollases and a coach that will not bench players playign terrible until it's too late.

There were instances where our receivers were open but Willy couldn't find them.  Not sure if he couldn't see them or if he had a case of tunnel-vision.  Both interceptions were poor passes more than good interceptions.  First one was a poor decision from the get-go.  Receiver was already in double-coverage when he tossed it downfield - very low percentage pass.  Second one was inaccurate and behind the receiver - another poorly thrown ball.  With some of the sacks, sure he couldn't do anything about them - not enough time to make a decision, but on others he had time to throw away the ball at the very least.  

Grigsby had 6 carries for 7 yards today.  Typical game for Grigsby.  I swear Grigsby single-handedly cost us a playoff birth. 

Playing Grigsby might have cost us a playoff birth but he played because he was told to play.  How about Johnny Sears? Not playing was a very bad decision too. The blame should be on those who made it happen.

JuranBoldenRules, on 25 Oct 2014 - 11:52 PM, said:

SmokinBlue, on 25 Oct 2014 - 11:51 PM, said:

Unless there are busted assignments, there is nearly always coverage.  Some of those balls if Willy had thrown might've gotten picked, but I'm not of the belief that was always the case last night.  But it's been addressed before, either Cotton needs to be ready to optionally release out of the backfield if the sack clock is winding down, or there should at least be some kind of safety valve player to get the ball to under the circumstances.  If there is none of the above for Willy to check it down to, that's on Bellefeuille for not giving him those options personnel=wise, but if Willy is ignoring those, than he has gotta learn not to try to always hit the homerun ball on longer passes.

Back to the topic at hand though

I hope to god Cotton can stay healthy all offseason and be ready to go come next year.  Because if there's one thing we can hang our hat on, it's a new threat at RB we have now.  I'm all for having multiple backs ready to go too to spell him off and keep him from burning out, but I like what we got with this guy.  Despite our problems on the OL, having a threat for defenses to deal with coming out of the backfield can help give them a boost.  It is a shame it took our coaching staff this long to see what all he could offer, but hopefully they stick with the guy next year, good to see something positive though after this rough season.

We gave him a boo-boo.

I would bet that almost every running back in the league is somewhat banged up at this point, and the Stamps have first place pretty much sewn up, so why not give Cornish some downtime to heal?

The Stamps can afford to do this. Most other teams can't.