O'Shea hands away the LDC

White Out

I told you all in chat, blaming the loss on not going for it is absolutely stupid. The defense needed one stop, instead they let the Riders march the entire field to score... I'll say it again for the slow people, the defense let the riders march the entire length of the field to score. blame them for not being able to get a stop when needed nothing else. It came down to them in crunch time and they failed. 

On the CJOB post game show Doug Brown was pretty adamant in blaming the BBs inability to stop the run on the final drive on Etch's  defensive set up and not on the players.  He said everybody in the park knew Sask. was going to run the ball and yet the BB's were lining up in an unbalanced D-line formation which made it almost impossible for them to cover off the gaps.  The RB sees the holes even before the ball is snapped.  In these situation he suggested they have to return to fundamental formations in order to have a chance of stopping the run.  A good example he mentioned was the goal line stand were Allen scored.  Wild was left on his own while the entire D-line was loaded up on the other side of the line.

I think Etch has done a great job building a D from scratch but I still think he needs to be reigned in at times.  When the games get down to crunch time football fundamentals should over-ride trickery .

Kuale's play is bad enough when he's not taking stupid offside penalties. Should be too embarrassed to even tweet. Unsurprisingly the dam burst in our run D again. Don't see how Kromah gets left off the roster for the rematch.

O'Shea and Kuale are dating so Kuale likely starts again next week.

Kuale must of gotten himself some good locker room photos of O'Shea in Toronto to get himself a job here.

If this season goes down in flames because we can't stop the run I hope Etch is replaced by someone who can actually coordinate a defense to stop the run AND pass. Not just one or the other. What I  saw today was garbage. 

C'mon Al - I understand the disappointment but what in the world did you expect? I think Etch actually went conservative today and that's the main reason the bombers hung in like they did. Bomber d just made a couple more mistakes than Rider d and special teams. O'Shea is getting some great value out of hobo like personnel. Guys who try to rip pigskin vs. wrapping the ball carrier. They can talk all they want about correcting the deficiency but its more inferior personnel that aren't able to execute techniques they understand. Just can't do it. Bomber o-line actually did well today (some good run-blocking, average pass blocking) but you could see they're not near the level of the rider o-line who were nullifying our strongest rushers one on one.

Henny Muamba would be a godsend in that bomber d. He actually has the instincts, talent and speed to cut thru sewage and get to the ball. Kuale was just tucked behind the arse of one of his d-linemen. If O'Shea deserves scolding for one particular decision its the one to roster Kuale. He's not a difference-maker.

Ian Wild left the game with an injury too. Not sure how serious but Kromah might get to play next week that way.

The amount of time Ian Wild was playing MLB was disturbing, he's just too small to be doing what he's attempting to do.  Kuale is starting to remind me of Cauchy showing up after the player is already down.  Cauchy come-lately=Kuale come-lately.

Ian Wild left the game with an injury too. Not sure how serious but Kromah might get to play next week that way.

I'm not sure if people really want Kromah in the lineup or Kuale out. Probably a combination of both, but I'm leaning towards Kuale out.

They might both be in as Wild could be out.  Doug Brown also said that with the type of inury Willy sustained he doubted that he will be able to practice at all this week and wouldn't be surprised  if he was a no go for next Sunday.  Apparently his ankle is going to swell up like a balloon in the next few days and only time can determine if he will be recuperated in time for the Banjo Bowl.  Similar to Andrew Harris's injury earlier this year which put him out for 2 weeks..

1. Happy that it was a game for the first time since about 2007 but the end sucked.

2. Fine with the FG call but thought the spot was bullshit.

3. Pretty sure on Durant's run in his own end on the last drive the OL pulled Anderson down. Isn't that holding?

4. The D needed to make a stop and didn't.

5. Have to hope Willy is ok.

6. Jarvis Jones, not impressive at guard

7. Howard continues to be this year's Boatman

Kuale's stats (or lack thereof) speak for themselves. He made one good play, crowed about it, and got buried the next running play. If he's the best we have at MLB, we're boned. O'Shea probably he had a redo on some of the playcalls, but 20-20 hindsight  is always perfect, right? He's a rookie head coach and we're going to have to suffer through some of this. Next year will be better- we will have better horses and likely better coaching.

Suck it up folks.

1. Happy that it was a game for the first time since about 2007 but the end sucked.

2. Fine with the FG call but thought the spot was bullshit.

3. Pretty sure on Durant's run in his own end on the last drive the OL pulled Anderson down. Isn't that holding?

4. The D needed to make a stop and didn't.

5. Have to hope Willy is ok.

6. Jarvis Jones, not impressive at guard

7. Howard continues to be this year's Boatman

On number 3, the Riders have an exemption with the league where they're allowed to hold. At least that was my assumption after today's game.

If this season goes down in flames because we can't stop the run I hope Etch is replaced by someone who can actually coordinate a defense to stop the run AND pass. Not just one or the other. What I  saw today was garbage. 

C'mon Al - I understand the disappointment but what in the world did you expect? I think Etch actually went conservative today and that's the main reason the bombers hung in like they did. Bomber d just made a couple more mistakes than Rider d and special teams. O'Shea is getting some great value out of hobo like personnel. Guys who try to rip pigskin vs. wrapping the ball carrier. They can talk all they want about correcting the deficiency but its more inferior personnel that aren't able to execute techniques they understand. Just can't do it. Bomber o-line actually did well today (some good run-blocking, average pass blocking) but you could see they're not near the level of the rider o-line who were nullifying our strongest rushers one on one.

Henny Muamba would be a godsend in that bomber d. He actually has the instincts, talent and speed to cut thru sewage and get to the ball. Kuale was just tucked behind the arse of one of his d-linemen. If O'Shea deserves scolding for one particular decision its the one to roster Kuale. He's not a difference-maker.

C'mon Nate. We went toe to toe with one of the better teams in the league.  The Bombers have weaknesses, but so do the Riders.  

You are too quick to hate on O'Shea. He has been alot for the team this. Bringing the team from 3-15 to 6-4 is pretty damn good. Burke could never do that.

Slow down there bud, there's no HATE for O'Shea. I think most of us are in agreement that he's brought an incredible sea-change to the Bombers. That's not to say he's perfect or doesn't make mistakes. Fans questioning or complaining about a call they don't agree with isn't hate. I sure as hell hope we don't fall into another IMWT crapfest, O'Shea ain't perfect but he's best breath of fresh air we've had here in quite a while. And there's no need to call fans morons who disagree sometimes with his judgement.

Totally agree with you.

But too much of that provides fodder for the negatrons....who have typing Diarrhea after a loss at the best of times.  

You are too quick to hate on O'Shea. He has been alot for the team this. Bringing the team from 3-15 to 6-4 is pretty damn good. Burke could never do that.

Slow down there bud, there's no HATE for O'Shea. I think most of us are in agreement that he's brought an incredible sea-change to the Bombers. That's not to say he's perfect or doesn't make mistakes. Fans questioning or complaining about a call they don't agree with isn't hate. I sure as hell hope we don't fall into another IMWT crapfest, O'Shea ain't perfect but he's best breath of fresh air we've had here in quite a while. And there's no need to call fans morons who disagree sometimes with his judgement.

Totally agree with you.

But too much of that provides fodder for the negatrons....who have typing Diarrhea after a loss at the best of times.  

and based on team philosophies the Riders are probably one of the tougher matchups for the Bombers. They're the team that is most committed to running the football (they had 3 different RBs take handoffs) while Etch is the least concerned with stopping the run. 

The play calling that disturbed me was not MOS' decision to kick FG but to go into a prevent Defense with 2 minutes to go ... we had been defending well the whole game ... why drop the DBs further back just cause we are at game's end? We needed to tighten up further and try an extra run blitz or two on that last drive!!

Duressler47, on 31 Aug 2014 - 8:39 PM, said:

You are too quick to hate on O'Shea. He has done a lot for the team this season. Bringing the team from 3-15 to 6-4 is pretty damn good. Burke could never do that.

I don't think us "Fans" as a whole hate on O'Shea, this resurrection dude just showed up out of nowhere today and started this crap, and raved in the chat room from what I hear (I wasn't in there during the game).

I think where some of this has come from though is an anti-play-not-to-lose mantra that's taken a hold of us fans here, something that did seem to be evident in the Lapolice and Burke eras, and I understand that, and yeah I don't think we should have any more of that either.

But at the same time, you absolutely have to play smart football.  There is a HUGE difference between playing not to lose and playing smart football, and I believe so far O'Shea's done a good job of calling smart football.  Yeah there are times when you need to make some gutsy calls, but when you're a first year head coach rebuilding a team that's been driven into the ground by inept predecessors, calls like taking the points on at least an 80% chance the FG is made to take a sure lead, and giving your D a chance to win it for you, regardless of it they do or not, is better than damaging your team's confidence by taking a 50/50 gamble at that point and not converting.

Think it was Mike Kelly who kept on taking those crazy gambles on 3rd down when he was here.  Among other things he did wrong, that kind of craziness definitely killed the team's will to win when they didn't work, and hence why you gotta be gutsy sometimes, but within reason.

Again, it came down to our defense having to stop them & they failed. It's not about a gutsy or cowardly call. It's not about a young coach playing not to lose instead of playing to win. There are 3 phases to a football team, O, D & ST's. Our defense failed to rise to the occasion when they had to. That's what ultimately lost us the game. Our D let them run all over them. The Riders marched 75 yards on that last drive. Mostly on the ground.

If the bombers were stuffed on the 3rd and 1(which can happen to any team at any time) the same people would be bitching how he didn't take the points. I thought it was a good call. Defence should have done their job. This team needs some real LBs.

Dis-Agree if the Bombers didn't make it then SASK was up in the game and would be much more conservative and with 3:00 remainging we have an excellent chance to get the ball back with a chance to win the game. The correct call would be to go for it on 3 and 1 ... And if we make it ( the first down we have a much better chance to win the game ) I am sure that M. OShea will be re-thinking that one... We lost the game when Washington decided he didn't have to cover the deep man in zone coverage. I like Washingtons athlectic ability but I am getting tried of his mistakes he has taken the most dumb penalties on the team and that combined with his fumbles and tonights mistake I haven't been impressed with him so far this year. I would give Markett a chance I thougth he looked excellent in TC...