Practice Updates: Swiston In For Morley, Watson/demond Back, Hall #1

Mike

Didn't know you had a direct line to Hamilton and their short list....too bad Cortez wasn't available...they can have him

read the Lefko article posted last page.  He says that Burke was in line for the job until Cortez became available.  Then Hamilton burned all of their boats and hired Cortez.

I got absolutely nothing against Walters and I would bet that someday he will be a real good candidate for GM... I just don't think he's ready yet. AGM is a great place for him right now I believe and if the bombers just stick with him then it's just more of the same crap we've done for the last 2 decades that haven't worked. Make the easy hire cause the guy is already around rather than actually looking for the right candidate who can do the job for the next decade +. Where's our Wally Buono?

I got absolutely nothing against Walters and I would bet that someday he will be a real good candidate for GM... I just don't think he's ready yet. AGM is a great place for him right now I believe and if the bombers just stick with him then it's just more of the same crap we've done for the last 2 decades that haven't worked. Make the easy hire cause the guy is already around rather than actually looking for the right candidate who can do the job for the next decade +. Where's our Wally Buono?

Not sure if you listened to the press conference or not, but Miller said they're going to do a full GM search in the offseason.

Just watched the video of Walters and Miller this morning...honestly they sounded...competent.

Still not buying it, but at least it sounded good.  Miller was quite honest and almost forceful at times about how the organization will run.  

I like how Walters said that the most important aspects of a CFL team in order are QB, Canadian talent and basically everything else.  Why couldn't Mack see this?  Also like how he is leaving coaching decisions to the coaches....thats a wierd strategy! :)

Miller said they'll do a full search, but that Walters will be a top candidate for the position.  I'm not completely against it.  On the radio just now Walters said all CFL teams have to be built on three levels: 1) QB, 2) Canadian talent and 3rd American talent.  We're also keeping Ken Moll as the top scout (or THE scout) at the moment.  Walters has potential and while I'd be more comfortable with a more proven candidate, if we can pair the best part of Mack's regime (American scouting) with Walters' Canadian scouting AND his desire to fix the QB position (which is to say, do SOMETHING at the position) then I might be sold.

I'm still in favour of blowing it all up, but Walters might not be the worst option out there.  Conversely he might not be the best one either.

Miller said they'll do a full search, but that Walters will be a top candidate for the position.  I'm not completely against it.  On the radio just now Walters said all CFL teams have to be built on three levels: 1) QB, 2) Canadian talent and 3rd American talent.  We're also keeping Ken Moll as the top scout (or THE scout) at the moment.  Walters has potential and while I'd be more comfortable with a more proven candidate, if we can pair the best part of Mack's regime (American scouting) with Walters' Canadian scouting AND his desire to fix the QB position (which is to say, do SOMETHING at the position) then I might be sold.

I'm still in favour of blowing it all up, but Walters might not be the worst option out there.  Conversely he might not be the best one either.

Yup let's hope he's not all words and can accomplish what he needs to do!

I like how Walters said that the most important aspects of a CFL team in order are QB, Canadian talent and basically everything else.  Why couldn't Mack see this?  Also like how he is leaving coaching decisions to the coaches....thats a wierd strategy! :)

Mack said that many times too. Trouble is that it's a hell of a lot harder to find a qb than it is to talk about it, always has been. And are you saying Mack didn't appreciate NI talent? He would not part with draft picks for anything because he knew the value of NIs. 

Pretty crazy how much Walters looks like Jim from the office.

THAT is who you think he looks like from The Office?

Andy-Gif-andy-bernard-16179901-300-169.g

1297348206744_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

tumblr_m53xu1PIEM1r3740zo1_400.gif

4829548.jpg

tumblr_ljuzjcRY9Z1qzhb2zo1_500.gif

ed-helms-hangover-2-o.png

Listening to our coaches........somehow reminded me of the search for Spartacus......    

Burke has looked (and in particular, sounded) right over his head from the get go....and why anyone would care about, or want Crowton's input, on anything, at this stage.... is a complete mystery.  Hall (his boy) is really about the only thing that could save his bacon.

We cried about not hiring experienced CFL guys.....and end up with Walters as GM. 

Interim GM, Coach, and QB.....to hell with Ottawa....perhaps we need an expansion draft.

In the micro......getting Washington's size/speed in the d-backfield, will help,  benching Morley - bout time......Watson would be a huge addition.

Unless they actually hire their new GM right away it just leaves the team rudderless for the rest of the year. It's not going to fix things right now, you're just going to have a harder time making changes during the season because you lost a very connected guy in the football world who always did seem to bring in some quality players midseason. There was no harm to be done sticking with Mack until the offseason. He wasn't going to go crazy and throw picks and players away on magic beans and leave a smoking crater like Kelly did so might as well have just waited until the offseason.

I think if walters preforms at all you are looking at our new GM. Mack may have been connected in the south but he had deficiencies in that department North of the border.Agree to disagree I guess.

Our depth chart goes from 

Buck - Goltz - Hall

Goltz - Hall - Buck

Hall - Buck - Goltz. 

Does anyone else see a problem with this?

Until one of them starts playing well, nope.

Walters sounds impressive but then so did Joe Mack when he got hired. If Kyle is going to be kept around anyway & he knows others will be interviewed & he seems fine with that then why throw him into the fire when he could benefit from working under someone else for a few years yet? I'm tired of inexperienced people being hired because they're somebody's buddy, the powers that be like him or to save money. For once.... ONCE... hire the best experienced guy with the most solid track record available & be done with it. Don't take shortcuts.