GDT: Edmonton @ Winnipeg

Rich

Do you guys think we are wasting NI spots on the 'MLB' position?

the guys like West, Cornell, Norris and Briggs are not really MLBers and on the roster as fulltime STers.

But could we use 1 or 2 NI spots to add depth on other position?

How about we don't worry what position the back up STers are listed on the depth chart as?

the guys like West, Cornell, Norris and Briggs are not really MLBers and on the roster as fulltime STers.

Losing Lucas & Newman in pre-season really hurt the NI depth. That alone would knock off 2 MLB NI's.

thought west and briggs were noticeable on special teams actually, they don't really play so why worry about them, i guess what it shows is our lack of canadian depth. That's not a fix we can just snap our fingers at and improve. Besides those guys are very valuable special team players, They arne't asked to really contribute on D that often if at all, They are there primarily for special teams, you could probably call west a safety if they wanted too, hell if they really wanted too, could call cornell a fullback, pretty irrelevant what they call them when they are just used for special teams.

We lack depth though big time, can't just replace them.. cuz like others have said, with who? What 2 canadians do we add or 3 canadians we add when we remove those 3 canadians? 

Oline? why? they don't play special teams. 

Niether QB had much to throw to down field as coverage by both sides was very-very good. The difference in the game was Reilly being able to escape the rush and turn losses into 1st downs, and at the same time wearing out the DL. Preventing him from getting out of the pocket, and turning his 8-15 yd runs into sacks would have kept the score a lot closer than it was.

And IF Willy takes a 1/2 second longer and puts the ball into JFG & Denmark's hands better we have 14 pts more! And the Moore fumble was not a thing of beauty that cost us 3-7 pts.

So, despite the poor protection for Willy you can boil the outcome of the game down to poor tackling by the D and a lack of execution on 3 plays. 

Reilly played well, by that i mean he used his legs well, he ran well, didn't do much else well though. The main issue i saw was that when our guys had reilly, they just blew the tackle, happened lots, reilly was stopped lots of times for barely any gain, (not enough for the first down at least) but.. didn't go down. Poor Tackling, Zach Anderson was the only guy who knew how to tackle.  

Really, we had lots of issues last night, no need to "blow things up" or "cut guys".. Gonna be lame here but.. Football comes down to execution, last night both teams struggled actually at execution, the bombers just struggled more. Couldn't catch, Couldn't return, couldn't tackle. 

Edmonton wasn't that impressive. Maybe the big crowd made guys nervous? i dunno, but even during warm-ups i noticed something, Cotton and Grigsby both had a hard time hanging on to the ball, They were the ones bobbling or dropping balls all warm-up. Not sure why, but... Oh well, we are 3-1. Who expected that? Anyone saying we need to cut guys right now.. man, Just stop it. 

I'm just going to add, Iike our Dline, Turner and Anderson in particular, IMO, if anderson had a good night, so did Turner and vice versa but.. Honestly, i think we could really use a guy like Alex Hall, a pure pass rushing defensive end, we lack that and i think if we had it, our Dline would be very very good instead of just good really.  Turner and Anderson and Vega are solid, Peach is good depth but i really feel we are missing that dominant pass rushing defensive end. 

Unfortunately missed the game last night... would like to see Willy's game, anyone know where I can find it on the interweb

Willy's game was.. Have time, Receiver drops ball, have time, nobody open, have no time, sacked or dump it off to the nearest guy so no sack happens. Maybe one or 2 iffy throws, throws that maybe "he'd want back". 

14/27 for 180. no TD. 1 pick. 

Pick was Grigsby not being able to catch, had space if he could tho and just needed to make willis miss..

Had legit 8 drops probably, no bs. Those 8 drops included probably a guaranteed touchdown by JFG, and a fumble by moore.

Willy played well. Made the right read when he had time, just problem was, the receivers didn't play well at all. 

Epic fail. Tackling 101 not happening. Willy has been exposed. Where is the goddam running game? Despite lack of plan, execution was pathetic . I'm more pissed at Rielly not being tackled by the 20 guys that didn't wrap him up. I have foam bricks, lucky me or my tv would be...  Better be a learning game, or we're fcked.

lol here we go. Willy has been exposed.

As what? A quarterback who won't go undefeated?

I dunno Mike why don't you tell me what you saw from Willy yesterday? Less than average performance from my point of view.

I agree with Mike. How has Willy been exposed??? We lost. We got beat by a better team last night. 

I would LOVE to hear an explanation as to how Willy got exposed and what he should have done differently considering the circumstances.

Being at the game gives you a different perspective to what actually went down, In the section, lots of people when something went wrong,  blamed Willy but... don't really understand that it takes the oline to execute and the receivers do get open and when they do, catch the damn ball, not sure some understand that. I think, yeah i'm going there, not a shot at those people but i think when the team is winning (3-0) there are gonna be people at the game who really just have no clue LOL. Several in my section (seriously) good section though, great seats, awesome stuff but... man not the smartest football people. 

Say what you will, not much to cheer for last night but still was a good time at IGF. 

Bombers just, i guess you can say, didn't execute, that's not just on Drew Willy, what can he do? catch the ball himself? get open himself? Nope, but the entire team just didn't get the breaks, so many dropped balls it's insane actually. Flubbed opening kick off set the tone, the grigsby can't catch "fumble"/ interception eventhough it was entirely on Grigsby set the tone even more minutes later, Lirim off the post from damn near the 50 with a slight wind in his face, off the post. Just sums it up really.

Didn't catch the breaks, and the receivers couldn't catch the ball. Never mind breaks, we couldn't even catch the damn ball last night on Offense.

D? played well, but had issues tackling. But played well considering they were on the field for 38 minutes, 10 of that though might have been because they couldn't tackle. 

What could go wrong, did go wrong? One of those games, our  first like that in 4 games??

Ridiculous but if we go 3-1 every 4 games, we won't, but if we do, we are 14-4. LOL. Just chalk this one up to our first really bad game of the year. 

The only good thing the Eskimos did was run option for basically the entire 2nd half and quit trying to have Reilly pass the ball against the blitz, which was a turnover (or more) waiting to happen.  Otherwise both teams were absolute self-destructing garbage on offense.

The only reason for Woods to not be on the game roster next week is if he is injured.  We got killed on special teams, mostly by our returners, outside of the handing of 7 free points to Edmonton by Grigsby, that's the huge difference in the game.  How many drives did we start inside our own 20, even when we were receiving a kickoff!

-a crapload of injuries

-a stout edmonton defense

-rough game overall... Players looked real tight and not loose at all..

We beat ourselves as much as the shmoes did.. Far from panic time, definitely a wakeup call...

But gotta say bipolar fan base rises again lol

What a difference with these two individuals from last year in comparison...coach and quarterback

One thing than annoyed me though, was leaving Willy in with 3 minutes to go when it was obvious that this was not going to be a comeback. I was concerned about him getting injured for no reason at this point.

No one is pulling their young QB's this year. 

you're missing the point!

Epic fail. Tackling 101 not happening. Willy has been exposed. Where is the goddam running game? Despite lack of plan, execution was pathetic . I'm more pissed at Rielly not being tackled by the 20 guys that didn't wrap him up. I have foam bricks, lucky me or my tv would be...  Better be a learning game, or we're fcked.

I dunno Mike why don't you tell me what you saw from Willy yesterday? Less than average performance from my point of view.
I agree with Mike. How has Willy been exposed??? We lost. We got beat by a better team last night.
I would LOVE to hear an explanation as to how Willy got exposed and what he should have done differently considering the circumstances.

Willy did look confused most of the night but Chris Jones has done that to quarterbacks with way more experience than Willy. The real test is what happens next time these two teams meet up.

Willy did look confused most of the night but Chris Jones has done that to quarterbacks with way more experience than Willy. The real test is what happens next time these two teams meet up.

Confused is not the right word. I don't think Willy was confused, I think that there just wasn't anything there and if there was the Bombers weren't taking advantage of it. Was just a bad combination of guys not performing well and a good defense in town. 

was it that he didn't know where to go with the ball or that receivers weren't open? There is a big difference. I listened to the post game comments, I didn't get that he was confused, he just said they did some things differently but that will happen in every game. It looked to me like he knew what he wanted to do, it just wasn't there. Just about everything he threw was a check down, that's not a confused player, that's a guy with no options.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't just Willy being stymied by that defence, it was everyone on offence including the coaches. We don't know if the receiver should have gone in or out on a play just that the qb and receiver were not on the same page when they don't hook up. But it's usually the qb who gets the blame.

Esks got real good pressure with 3-4 rushers.  Huge advantage for coverage in the back - they had the middle of the field taped.  Their D rushers also did a good job of blocking some Willy's initial passing lanes....you could see Drew thinking about some quick throws and then pulling it back.   Moving the pocket might of at least opened up some of those lanes....

The receivers were a complete fail....sitting above, you could see them getting blanketed, and their lack of physicality at times, then not making some plays when they had a chance.  The lack of adjustments was evident as well.  Some of the draw/trap/shuttle/screen appeared....in garbage time...

I've seen Willy throw it better.....but this failure was collective...

Watching some of the other QB's this weekend, only reinforces my view....

aren't defences ahead of offences early in the season?

unfortunately on tv you can't see the receivers till the ball has been thrown.  the people that were there say, that receivers weren't open.

I doubt that Willy went from being well prepared and methodical, to confused in a week. 

Edmonton definitely got lots of pressure rushing four.

and runs into the middle of the line got stopped repeatedly. nothing there.