GDT: Edmonton @ Winnipeg

Rich

At times, Willy was hanging onto the ball at times too long something he started doing in Montreal. Others he was getting rid of the ball too quickly when his OL was giving him the time & he didn't have to. Pretty tough as a qb to learn to trust his blocking when on any given play one of his linemen become pylons. They are playing better as a unit this season under Bob Wylie but they need to be better. Denmark disappeared on Thursday night. he is so inconsistent as a receiver. Nick Moore was brutal. Julian Felino Guidino dropped a sure touchdown. Our backs didn't play well. MB didn't call a great game. All in all a collective effort offensively Thursday. 

Esks got real good pressure with 3-4 rushers.  Huge advantage for coverage in the back - they had the middle of the field taped.  Their D rushers also did a good job of blocking some Willy's initial passing lanes....you could see Drew thinking about some quick throws and then pulling it back.   Moving the pocket might of at least opened up some of those lanes....

The receivers were a complete fail....sitting above, you could see them getting blanketed, and their lack of physicality at times, then not making some plays when they had a chance.  The lack of adjustments was evident as well.  Some of the draw/trap/shuttle/screen appeared....in garbage time...

I've seen Willy throw it better.....but this failure was collective...

Watching some of the other QB's this weekend, only reinforces my view....

If you watched the other qb's this weekend you watched a lot of bad!

Just went over the passing plays, Willy was about 2.95 seconds, snap to release. About .25 - .35 longer than you would like for an average. His footwork was quite sloppy to start the game, settled down a little bit later on, but the Eskimos just feasted on that offensive line in the second half.

I would attribute one of the five sacks to Willy.

1st - McCoil blindside, got there in 2.25 seconds, Fitzgerald missed the blitz.

2nd - Willis sack in 3.07 seconds, should have pulled it down and ran to the right, open lane, but hesitated and the rush got in on him.

3rd - Willis flat out bull rush on Knapp, knocked him flat on his ass, got there in 2.20 seconds, Jefferson with the speed rush inside on January. No chance.

4th - Jefferson's second sack, exact same move on January, got there even quicker at 2.14 seconds.

5th - Trying to find a receiver, ran outside, defender got to him for the sack at 2.60 seconds. Could have thrown it away, but was looking to make a play late in the game. Call it a wash.

Open pass to Feoli-Gudino, he threw to the wrong shoulder. JFG then tangled himself up a bit while trying to adjust to it.

Nick Moore missed a block on a hitch screen to Kohlert early that resulted in a punt.

aren't defences ahead of offences early in the season?

unfortunately on tv you can't see the receivers till the ball has been thrown.  the people that were there say, that receivers weren't open.

I doubt that Willy went from being well prepared and methodical, to confused in a week. 

Edmonton definitely got lots of pressure rushing four.

and runs into the middle of the line got stopped repeatedly. nothing there.

not exactly a week considering he was the same for the majority of the montreal game.

Found the following quote a bit disturbing.  This was game 4 how could the Bombers not know Reilly had "hulked" up.

O'Shea said his team was caught off guard by the different physical specimen Reilly is this season as compared to last.

"One of the things (the Eskimos) talked about was him coming back this year significantly stronger and heavier," said O'Shea. "So yeah, we underestimated him. When we look at the film we'll be disappointed we didn't squeeze a little tighter and bring him down. Because we had our chances -- he ended up getting several long runs off our missed tackles. And that's not like our defence."

That is pretty scary since they have been talking about Reilly's weight gain around here since May. 

Bottom line is this folks - The Eskimo's play a very very aggressive defense. They play a lot of man to man and jam the receivers as much as they can. The only way a team is going to have success against them is if they are physical right back. That's why I'm looking forward to the Eskimo game with the Stamps next week. The Stamps have very physical receiver who won't back down from the fight. 

The bomber receivers backed down big time. This was the root cause. That's scary - I expect another blowout loss now (next week) in B.C. as they too have a physical defense and will feast on the bomber offense again. Not Willy's fault though - I think he's doing all he can. Not much he can do when the receivers wilt and the Oline caves in to the pressure.

Finally watched the game... flashback to our D keeping us in it and our O doing nothing

Bottom line:  MB got schooled by Chris Jones.  Willy doesn't trust his OL and I don't blame him.

Hopefully we bounce back - that was pretty boring.  A bit disturbing the Bellefuile has been unable to come up with anything special against a strong pass rush.

I keep returning to the thought that the Bombers always end up with RB's that need clean holes and open space to be effective.  They never seem to bring in bigger backs that can get 4 or 5 yards on their own power like Curtis Steele with the Argos or Allen in Sask..  Having two backs with different skill sets could serve them well in these kind of games rather than having a bunch of RB clones.

They may have missed an opportunity to acquire Allen from Sask. perhaps a trade could have been worked out for Ford.