GDT: Edmonton @ Winnipeg

Rich

Well - I hate to say I told you so, but I did. I told you the Eskimos were getting better week by week,and the bombers were getting worse, and this game proved who the real undefeated team is. Our D did play great though, I'll give them that. The Eskies had to earn every yard, and they did. The bombers weren't interested in playing hard, and you have against that tremendous Eskie Defense, and the game score was very deserving to both teams. 

Still stoked though - as we're still 3 - 1, and the young bombers will learn. I never expected them to make the playoffs (I was hoping for 7 wins). So I'm still proud to be a bomber fan :)

It was a hard fall back to Earth for Bomber fans but I'll be happy if they make the playoffs.

Me too - I think the outcome was the best possible. We got blown out - but not embarrassed Sometimes you believe your own hype. I'm not worried - I know we'll bounce back. It's only one game :)

Epic fail. Tackling 101 not happening. Willy has been exposed. Where is the goddam running game? Despite lack of plan, execution was pathetic . I'm more pissed at Rielly not being tackled by the 20 guys that didn't wrap him up. I have foam bricks, lucky me or my tv would be...  Better be a learning game, or we're fcked.

The entire defence including that guy that lives on the island should be penalized for "tackling with no arms".

Correction that should read "attempted tackling with no arms".

Well - I hate to say I told you so, but I did. I told you the Eskimos were getting better week by week,and the bombers were getting worse, and this game proved who the real undefeated team is. Our D did play great though, I'll give them that. The Eskies had to earn every yard, and they did. The bombers weren't interested in playing hard, and you have against that tremendous Eskie Defense, and the game score was very deserving to both teams. 

Still stoked though - as we're still 3 - 1, and the young bombers will learn. I never expected them to make the playoffs (I was hoping for 7 wins). So I'm still proud to be a bomber fan :)

This team is so far ahead of last year. The Esks won't go 18-0, matter of fact, I think they may be hard pressed to be 9-9 but last night they were the better team on the field. We have a young team with still a few holes to fill, a young qb who will improve with experience so for me, it's all good. Give this team a year & we'll be right up there with the Stamps & Riders.

I'd make some changes.

Starting with Grigsby.

Romby Bryant gave about as much effort tonight as I thought he would.

Wouldn't change much else, aside from trading our offensive line for an offensive line that knows how to pass protect.

We're certainly missing Greaves. Dan Knapp got beat pretty bad a bunch of times too. Definitely gotta do something about that O-Line (Billy Peach)

Turns out JBR is right again, We need Woods doing returns.

Grigsby doesn't run hard enough... I'd make that change as well. His speed wasn't impressing me, nor was his vision. he also had that terrible play right at the begining. To much stutter stepping into his blockers, He needs to make a decision and make the cut. I want to see Cotton at RB

I think we're really missing Leggett a lot more than people are letting on. Leggett and Sears are a great team in the middle of the field. 

Abject and utter failure on O....in both preparation and excution ...we looked completly intimidated.....

Moes rushed 3-4 guys and were in Willy's face all night....they also did a good job of blocking some of Drew's passing lanes....because of the penatration.

Grigsby....too much zig-zag, and starting to wonder about his hands

The group we started at receiver....wouldn't make too many DC's lose sleep...particularly at wideout

Noted the physicality issue against the Als....this time, OL just got pushed around entire game

Didn't see a single roll out/sprint play, entire nite

ject and utter failure on O....in both preparation and excution ...we looked completly intimidated.....

Why change what is not working? Have the QB stand there do a jig in the pocket then pretend the throw, take a few steps to the side and get tackled. Thought for sure changes would be made at the half by Marcie. Changes are needed alright.

Truth is, whatever game plan changes were made at half-time, they didn't translate into any different offensive performance on the field, so essentially, we got out-coached. The O-line was good enough, the defense was more than good enough, but got worn down in the 4th quarter- it was bound to happen. I don't know if our receivers were getting open and Willy was just not picking them out or Edmonton was blanketing them that well. The running game showed flashes of promise, but no consistency, What made me crazy was the team's inability to grab onto Reilly and bring him down. Yes, its all conjecture, but if Reilly wasn't allowed to make those runs, its a whole different game.

Its only one game, so we can stand down from panic stations for the time being, but the next game has to be way better than this 2013 replay. Two crappy games in a row and all the confidence the team has gathered from the three previous wins will be gone.

Abject and utter failure on O....in both preparation and excution ...we looked completly intimidated.....

Moes rushed 3-4 guys and were in Willy's face all night....they also did a good job of blocking some of Drew's passing lanes....because of the penatration.

The group we started at receiver....wouldn't make too many DC's lose sleep...particularly at wideout

Noted the physicality issue against the Als....this time, OL just got pushed around entire game

This. Especially the stutter steps.

Just run straight ahead. You don't need to be dropping your shoulder to fake out a defender that is 5 yards away from you.

Epic fail. Tackling 101 not happening. Willy has been exposed. Where is the goddam running game? Despite lack of plan, execution was pathetic . I'm more pissed at Rielly not being tackled by the 20 guys that didn't wrap him up. I have foam bricks, lucky me or my tv would be...  Better be a learning game, or we're fcked.

lol here we go. Willy has been exposed.

As what? A quarterback who won't go undefeated?

You could say it was like chess match out there but we didn't study enough for the game (two practices in a short week)

Mike Reilly fought like a Knight, but moved around the field like a Queen moves on a chessboard.

Defensive players tackled like Bishops.

But other than tackling, take nothing away from an a very good performance from the D.

They swarmed a put upon Edmonton O-Line and likely would have had 3-4 more sacks at least, if it wasn't for…..Mike Reilly, easily the Player of the Game.

They really did hold firm…only one offensive TD.

Kirk Penton states that Edmonton can claim they had the better O-line, but that's not saying much, and I don't know about that.

I do know our O-Line needs way more work and way more cohesiveness.

But give the Edmonton defence and their preparation full marks for shutting us down last night.

It was as dominant a performance as you're going to see.

You could just see we were at a loss at what to do, and that's just what it led to.

Poor Drew Willy, to be initiated like that…and with little help.

But I like this guy.

He's learning and he will get better…like Reilly who has a year of study under him.

Ah, yes, the bounces that have been going our way…didn't tonight, (tip int. for TD, fumble on a good drive, hit the upright on a FG, JFG - wide open for an easy TD…but they couldn't connect)….but that's the way it goes, isn't it?

Other than hitting that upright on the FG try, Lirim was our most productive offensive weapon with his punts, and Renaud can see the start of the unemployment line.

Maybe not right away…but soon.

MB had no adjustments tonight, but you have to give the Edmonton D game plan full credit…they played really well.

Coach O'Shea said…"it was that kind of night."

"Couldn't sustain anything…nothing was happening tonight."

Biggest disappointment? "the effort put in for the crowd that they had"

He did reiterate that they are not 3-1, but rather, 0-1 and they will stick to how they do business.

I'm disappointed, but not distraught.

They'll bounce back against BC.

It was a hard fall back to Earth for Bomber fans but I'll be happy if they make the playoffs.

Me too - I think the outcome was the best possible. We got blown out - but not embarrassed Sometimes you believe your own hype. I'm not worried - I know we'll bounce back. It's only one game :)

Blown out? Take away the easy six for Willis and another blown coverage for a TD and that is blown out?

I think it was Marcel Bellefeuille that was exposed yesterday.  He called a terrible game.

I really can't blame anyone on the defence this time.  They were on the feild what, 38 minutes of a 60 minute game? (I think that's what I heard on the post game show.)

Not sure where Boltus is playing but hopefully he and Marcie will be reunited soon.

Hey guys, **** happens but it tends to happen more often if you stick with what does not work. On one side of the ball I thought we were trying to body check the guy off the puck and on the other it sure looked like Burke's offence.

The good thing is we still have our three wins and we seem to have come out of it in reasonably good health.

C'est la vie!

Just run straight ahead. You don't need to be dropping your shoulder to fake out a defender that is 5 yards away from you.

It's maddening .. second and less than a yard and we BARELY convert because he's bouncing it outside ..

I was done with Grigsby on one of his bigger runs... he has all kinds of room and decided to run straight into the ass of one of his blockers.. WTF? And he does it all the time he likes to run into people for some reason. Yeah he's got plenty of yards but he just can't make people miss and if there's a guy to run into he will find a way to do it. That ball he volleyed up to Willis for 7 points was disgusting too. 

I give a ton of credit to Edmontons D. They will win a lot of games for them this year (2011 Bombers?). They only managed what 19 offensive points? That won't win you a lot of games. Reilly needs to be careful or he will end up in the IR or the mental hospital if he keeps scrambling like that. Bombers made too many mental mistakes like dropped balls, missed tackles etc. we said it before the game. The team who played with less mistakes was going to win this one. Next week is going to be a good test for both Edmonton and the Bombers. For Edmonton are they really that good and can they stop Calgary? For the Bombers will they have a bounce back game against BC or were the Bombers exposed and just played above their ability the first 3 weeks. Gotta love the CFL!

This team is so far ahead of last year. The Esks won't go 18-0, matter of fact, I think they may be hard pressed to be 9-9 but last night they were the better team on the field. We have a young team with still a few holes to fill, a young qb who will improve with experience so for me, it's all good. Give this team a year & we'll be right up there with the Stamps & Riders.

Yep for sure Iso - so much to look forward to now. There'll be other bad games too yet, and some great ones. Even in the CFL it's hard to go from worst to first overnight. If someone told me before the year started that we'd be challenging for a playoff spot this year, I'd have been happy (playoffs even better and we can cross over). I think the Eskies are where we'll be next year. Only difference is the Esks weren't well coached last year especially their Defense. Reilly is the real deal but I do agree - 9 and 9 would be realistic here. 

True test for the Esks is next Thursday Iso - Stamps are in town (as you know). Here's something you may not know though - 50/50 - which was 72 grand, went unclaimed. So it's being added to Thursday's game. I figure the 50/50 will be north of 200K this week. If you ever wanted to see a Stamp/Eskie game in Edmonton - this Thursday is the time to do it :)

As soon as I saw the opening kickoff I wanted to change my pick from Wpg to Edm.  Then the pick 6 happened and I really wanted to change it.

Willy missed wide open receivers and he wasn't seeing what he expected from the Edmonton D.  His worst performance of the year by a long shot and the O line didn't give him much time help.  I'm no OC, but I'd have added some screens, draws, quick slants and moved the pocket to try and slow down the rush and try to keep him upright.